MagnumVP

Avigilon 5MP Dome vs AXIS P3367-VE

I have both a 5mp box and 5 mp dome jpeg2000. I can attest to how much easier the box cam with back focus is to get a sharp picture. I have made a few trips up the ladder to get my 5mp domes set where I like them. Well worth it in the end.

I have both a 5mp box and 5 mp dome jpeg2000. I can attest to how much easier the box cam with back focus is to get a sharp picture. I have made a few trips up the ladder to get my 5mp domes set where I like them. Well worth it in the end.

I recently dialed in a couple of Messoa LPR cameras to acquire plates at 200 feet. The BF was a huge win. I think I was moving it about 1/32" or so and checking on my iPhone. Not too hard, even when contorted on a ladder. Can't image trying to that same task without BF. Would have been quite tedious and very frustrating.

Best,

Christopher

Yes and if you don't use the Dome simulator when focusing it won't even be close when you install the dome.

Yes and if you don't use the Dome simulator when focusing it won't even be close when you install the dome.

What is a dome simulator?

Best,

Christopher

The rep I dealt wasn't what I'd call completely familiar with the Avigilon cameras, although the software demo was impressive. He didn't bring along a camera and it took a long time for him to get the quote together.

It is useful to have a resource here where people are totally aware of all the camera features. Is it fair to say then that the JPEG 2000 body cameras having back focus (which is missing on the domes) makes them superior in this regard?

Edited by Guest

What is a dome simulator?

Best,

Christopher

It's a clear plastic piece that clips over the lens to simulate the bubble Dome cover.

They ship with the camera.

Strangely the manual states different. I may have to try this method.

Focus on an object slightly closer than the intended area

to compensate for the focus shift caused by the dome

bubble’s refraction.

I have made a few trips up the ladder to get my 5mp domes set where I like them. Well worth it in the end.

Absolutely, I pay to go to gym to get that kind of workout.

Wow it is too bad that you went ahead and bought the crummier Avigilon camera.

Here is a comparison for you, please note that this is a true apples-to-apples comparison clearly showing the poorer image quality of the Avigilon camera.

Avigilon always oversells their cameras and claims that are far better than they really are:

http://www.slideshare.net/Avigilon2?utm_campaign=profiletracking&utm_medium=sssite&utm_source=ssslideview

Beware of another famous Avigilon tactic: they usually go in promoting and selling their JPEG2000 cameras, since yes they do have bettery quality overall, but they cost over twice as much as any of their H.264 equivalents.

Avigilon always lures customers in with their JPEG2000 16MP or 29MP camera, then ends up installing their crappy H.264 cameras.

Have a look here, and you will see that the Avigilon 5MP H.264 is no better than an Axis or Sony 2MP camera

Another obvious overstated selling item the Avigilon sales guys do and show is that they always push you to their 16MP and 29MP camera, but they never show it in actual operation - that's because it can only handle 2fps at full resolution and the image is crappy when looking at any amount of motion.

Also try asking Avigilon to do a true side-by side comparison of their H.264 cameras' Wide Dynamic range? They always make outlandish claims of being superior with night vision when the reality is that their cameras are one of the worst in the industry for WDR when compared to proper CCTV brands like Panasonic, SOny, Axis, Pelco, AD.

Wow it is too bad that you went ahead and bought the crummier Avigilon camera.

Here is a comparison for you, please note that this is a true apples-to-apples comparison clearly showing the poorer image quality of the Avigilon camera.

Avigilon always oversells their cameras and claims that are far better than they really are:

http://www.slideshare.net/Avigilon2?utm_campaign=profiletracking&utm_medium=sssite&utm_source=ssslideview

Beware of another famous Avigilon tactic: they usually go in promoting and selling their JPEG2000 cameras, since yes they do have bettery quality overall, but they cost over twice as much as any of their H.264 equivalents.

Avigilon always lures customers in with their JPEG2000 16MP or 29MP camera, then ends up installing their crappy H.264 cameras.

Have a look here, and you will see that the Avigilon 5MP H.264 is no better than an Axis or Sony 2MP camera

Another obvious overstated selling item the Avigilon sales guys do and show is that they always push you to their 16MP and 29MP camera, but they never show it in actual operation - that's because it can only handle 2fps at full resolution and the image is crappy when looking at any amount of motion.

Also try asking Avigilon to do a true side-by side comparison of their H.264 cameras' Wide Dynamic range? They always make outlandish claims of being superior with night vision when the reality is that their cameras are one of the worst in the industry for WDR when compared to proper CCTV brands like Panasonic, SOny, Axis, Pelco, AD.

AvigilonWorker... You make serious accusations and by what you saying I find it hard to believe you have a lot of experience with Avigilon's products. This seams more like someone has a beef with them or a competitor. If you want to be taken seriously post your real name and who you work for or stop with the games.

Also why are you hosting IPVM info on your slide share site?

While I don't agree with Avigilon's marketing practices, it would be good to see a bake-off, would love to do one but while Avigilon keeps telling me they want to, they have not delivered.

If they wanted you to do a review they would have sent the camera already... Who did you speak to?

You have to speak to someone in management...

While I don't agree with Avigilon's marketing practices, it would be good to see a bake-off, would love to do one but while Avigilon keeps telling me they want to, they have not delivered.

If they wanted you to do a review they would have sent the camera already...

Hmm, I have hard to believe that Avigilon want "buellwinkle" to do review

Why? He does reviews all the time. Why would they not want him to do review?

buellwinkle is just his username just like ak357 is yours. Please stop the jokes.

Why? He does reviews all the time. Why would they not want him to do review?

Yet they want ak357 to be dealer?

This is no disrespect to buellwinkle but look at his target reader and current products that he reviews. They are geared more towards residential customers with a small budgets and this is not Avigilon's target customers. There is no reason for them to have him review their product. If most of his readers had 20+ cameras then it would make sense.

Where did you see his target reader? If he would do review for Avigilon people who would search for review on Google or other search engine might find his review and be able to see a objective opinion from a person who tests camera all the time. Not a Avigilon salesman or dealer looking to make a few bucks...

This is no disrespect to buellwinkle but look at his target reader and current products that he reviews. They are geared more towards residential customers with a small budgets and this is not Avigilon's target customers. There is no reason for them to have him review their product. If most of his readers had 20+ cameras then it would make sense.

Where did you see his target reader? If he would do review for Avigilon people who would search for review on Google or other search engine might find his review and be able to see a objective opinion from a person who tests camera all the time. Not a Avigilon salesman or dealer looking to make a few bucks...

icamera most of my customers have 30+ cameras one has over 500 cameras. How many customers of this size (which are Avigilon's target customers) do you think read his camera reviews?

Who knows? But why not let him review the vms, cameras, etc... What are the negatives to him doing a review?

icamera most of my customers have 30+ cameras one has over 500 cameras. How many customers of this size (which are Avigilon's target customers) do you think read his camera reviews?

That's total crap. I paid between $900 to $1400 Axis cameras that buellwinkle has reviewed on his site. I would hardly call that 'budget', and their cameras are also used quit extensively for commercial installations.

Avigilon is appearing to me to me much like Apple - it's all about marketing.

And so I agree, there is no reason to have their products reviewed. It would dangerously expose then to the fact that there are better products out there for the same or lower price!

You may be on to something. The appeal for Avigilon is for the dealer who likes the fact that Avigilon has a restrictive pricing model with MSRP not public...

That's total crap. I paid between $900 to $1400 Axis cameras that buellwinkle has reviewed on his site. I would hardly call that 'budget', and their cameras are also used quit extensively for commercial installations.

And so I agree, there is no reason to have their products reviewed. It would dangerously expose then to the fact that there are better products out there for the same or lower price!

Cool and how may cameras did you buy?

You may be on to something. The appeal for Avigilon is for the dealer who likes the fact that Avigilon has a restrictive pricing model with MSRP not public...

That's funny since Avigilon is cheaper then equivalent Axis camera.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for proving my point. You're just a salesman.

And whom do u expect us to be ?

We sell, design, and install

u want us to do something else for you ?

Edited by Guest