MagnumVP

Avigilon 5MP Dome vs AXIS P3367-VE

Whats the Gateway do? Allow remote access?

The gateway is just for allowing iPhones and Android mobile devices to connect. You don't need it for remote access from a PC.

I shall also post the settings of the camera. I believe from memory this is set at 1/50. 1/30 at night left just a little too much motion blur for my liking, especially with just the garden lighting. I am hoping that with ample IR floodlighting that I may be able to even bring this down to 1/100, but that may be ambitious.

Looks like a nice usable pic for 5MP and 1/50.

I leave my P3346 set at 1/60s at night, due to blur (I have 2 100W equivalent lights on the side of the garage).

Axis told me that the P3367 camera is the only one in that series based on Axis's new chipset/technology. Most importantly, the camera is supposed to have excellent low light performance (at least compared to other Axis cameras in the series). For instance, on the series spec sheet (http://www.axis.com/files/datasheet/ds_p33_43521_en_1111_lo.pdf), the 3367 is rated for twice as low minimum illumination as the 3346 (the 3MP model) and the same minimum illumination as the 3343.

Comparing to Avigilon 5MP is tough because the products are so fundamentally diametrically positioned - Axis is expensive, h.264, open and filled with bells and whistles - Avigilon is very affordable but closed and JPEG2000 only for this model.

We haven't tested the P3367 but have recently finished testing the other new generation models - the Q1602 and Q1604 - and both were surprisingly impressive in low light.

The specs of the p3367 look quite good to me. The Avigilon is rated slightly better at 0.03lux in monochrome, but the remote zoom and focus on the p3367 is an awful lot better than the Avigilon, as that was one of the most annoying aspects of the 5mp Avigilon dome.

Looking at the price of the Axis it is also very similarly priced to the Avigilon once you add a chosen lens to the Avigilon.

It will certainly be on my list to look at for another 5mp cam overlooking the rear of the property.

I think it's very risky to compare the minimum illumination specs of different manufacturers. There is no standardization and vendors typically choose very different basis for their self assigned ratings.

We've tested dozens of cameras and compared them to their own specs. While the ratings generally held amongst a line (i.e., if vendor A makes cameras 1 and 2, the ratings indicate relative performance fairly accurately). However, across vendors, the ratings are not useful for comparison.

The specs of the p3367 look quite good to me. The Avigilon is rated slightly better at 0.03lux in monochrome, but the remote zoom and focus on the p3367 is an awful lot better than the Avigilon, as that was one of the most annoying aspects of the 5mp Avigilon dome.

Looking at the price of the Axis it is also very similarly priced to the Avigilon once you add a chosen lens to the Avigilon.

It will certainly be on my list to look at for another 5mp cam overlooking the rear of the property.

Remote zoom/focus is becoming very important and can save hours of labor per camera. Avigilon knows this and I wouldn't be surprised to see this feature added when they refresh these models. FYI the H.264 and PRO cameras have remote zoom/focus.

Yep, i have 3 avigilon h264 2mp domes and found the setup a LOT easier on those with the remote zoom/focus. If they don't release a 5mp dome with remote zoom/focus shortly then i will be going with something like the axis for any other higher mp cams im going to add.

The pro cameras once put in a housing aren't really my taste for a domestic install. i prefer the look of a dome on a house rather than cam in box.

Just for kicks I contacted Avigilon and got this response on the lux rating vs. shutter speed:

"Avigilon does not provide the details of the test to determine our Lux Ratings because there is no formal industry standards and the actual Lux readings will change depending on the scene environment. Even given an f/stop and exposure it’s still matters what the reflectivity of materials in the scene is and what you require to recognize as acceptable ‘signal’ in SW.

We recommend testing the cameras for the specific scene conditions to determine if it is acceptable and meets the expectations in the environment required."

Axis does provide the details if you ask, I think it was at 1/6s if memory serves on the P1344.

i like and agree with Avigilon's answer. I have gotten to the point where I dont even look at LUX ratings on cameras anymore because they are so inconsistent. I have some old school 330 TVL cameras with a lux higher that 1.0 that look better that some cameras with a lux of .01.

I just order the cameras and test them in a typical night time environment, that is my gauge on whether a camera is good in low light or not.

i like and agree with Avigilon's answer.

I would agree with it if they dispensed with the lux rating altogether. If one states lux rating they should back it up with scene, shutter speed, lens and IRE like Bosch.

257564078_Picture21.png.73c8ae110596e0e7dc4cace3d75445ee.png

248474367_Picture22.png.24a76cbc7bc1ce30314731f34428e4d2.png

I would agree with it if they dispensed with the lux rating altogether. If one states lux rating they should back it up with scene, shutter speed, lens and IRE like Bosch.

How do state IRE for IP camera ?

or how would u measure ?

Axis told me that the P3367 camera is the only one in that series based on Axis's new chipset/technology. Most importantly, the camera is supposed to have excellent low light performance (at least compared to other Axis cameras in the series). For instance, on the series spec sheet (http://www.axis.com/files/datasheet/ds_p33_43521_en_1111_lo.pdf), the 3367 is rated for twice as low minimum illumination as the 3346 (the 3MP model) and the same minimum illumination as the 3343.

Comparing to Avigilon 5MP is tough because the products are so fundamentally diametrically positioned - Axis is expensive, h.264, open and filled with bells and whistles - Avigilon is very affordable but closed and JPEG2000 only for this model.

We haven't tested the P3367 but have recently finished testing the other new generation models - the Q1602 and Q1604 - and both were surprisingly impressive in low light.

Hi John,

What makes of Axis cameras are using the latest generation SBC platform etc?

"Avigilon does not provide the details of the test to determine our Lux Ratings because there is no formal industry standards and the actual Lux readings will change depending on the scene environment. Even given an f/stop and exposure it’s still matters what the reflectivity of materials in the scene is and what you require to recognize as acceptable ‘signal’ in SW.

Any photographer worth their salt knows this is total nonsense. Photographers created an easy system many years ago that allow them to mix and match bodies, lenses, and lights, and set f/stop, speed, ISO, and measure lux to get proper exposure.

Best,

Christopher

I'm currently working with Axis regarding the sensor in the p3367 as I think they've got an issue. I've had two p3367s with vertical lines that are evident in BW mode. The engineers in Sweeden are "baffled" as to this problem, as they indicate this is the first they've seen it (or at least the first anyone has reported it). The US rep I'm working with just informed me they're sending him a third camera which they want him to test (I guess they want to rule out any errors on my part). We'll see what happens. It could be a flaw in the entire p3367 line.

That being said, I will say that it's a very nice camera and the low light capability is very good for a 5MP sensor. It's just those dang vertical lines...

Remote zoom/focus is becoming very important and can save hours of labor per camera. Avigilon knows this and I wouldn't be surprised to see this feature added when they refresh these models. FYI the H.264 and PRO cameras have remote zoom/focus.

I have recently had an Avigilon UK dealer quote me for a 5 x 5mp camera dome system and the issue of the H.264 cameras having remote zoom/focus has become a sticking point. The lack of this feature in the JPEG 2000 cameras (and the fear that Avigilon may introduce it soon) makes it tough for me to want to go ahead with the purchase. Using the H.264 cameras makes the entire system a great deal less money compared to the JPEG 2000 system of course, but it is the apparent superior IQ of the JPEG 2000 cameras that got me looking at Avigilon in the 1st place.

I tried remote focus on 2 brand of cameras, openeye and brickcom and find the feature to be very annoying to use and highly inaccurate. You adjust focus by tapping on + and - signs until you get it right. The problem is the correct focus is typically in between what you can set. After weeks of trying to focus the openeye, we just returned them.

That's not to say there aren't some very good cameras with autofocus and zoom like the ACTI KCM-5611, but that's a full fledged zoom/autofocus, not remote focus, remote varifocal lens.

The Panasonic 502 is an example of a remote manual/auto back focus that works extremely well. The installer sets the focus, which is not too critical, because the back focus will do the rest. It also allows for different settings for day and night. It's tack sharp.

The Avigilon 2MP and 5MP H.264 domes also work quite well. Have not tested the other resolutions, but I expect they work equally well. Our copy of the 5MP JPEG200 is extremely tedious to get manual focus, and the installers have never been able to get a sharp focus on that camera.

Best,

Christopher

Avigilon's remote zoom/focus works fantastic. I have used it in all h.264 and PRO models and it just works.

As for your issues with the JPEG2000 camera it takes patents and GOOD lenses to get nice sharp focus from the JPEG2000 cameras.

Others have mentioned that Avigilon dropped off cameras to people who were serious.

Yes, I can easily get access to any Avigilon camera I am seriously considering from the local rep, and I'm not even an installer. He will either come over and we can test it together, or he will loan it to me for my own testing, my preference.

Best,

Christopher

As for your issues with the JPEG2000 camera it takes patents and GOOD lenses to get nice sharp focus from the JPEG2000 cameras.

That's the UNDERSTATEMENT of the year!

As for your issues with the JPEG2000 camera it takes patents ...

Yeah, because the designers failed to include back focus. Remote zoom and auto focus are welcome features, but manual zoom and manual focus are just fine if they include a good back focus.

Best,

Christopher

The box camera versions have back focus.

The 5MP JPEG2000 box? Really? The local rep struggled to try and pull focus during a demo. Apparently he was not aware of the BF feature. Thanks for letting me know.

Best,

Christopher