MagnumVP

Avigilon 5MP Dome vs AXIS P3367-VE

I was almost sold on the AXIS P3367-VE for my security needs at my house using the Exacq Software. However, I was just quoted an Avigilion 5MP Dome 1/2.5" Image Sensor with a Kowa 3.5-10mm AI Lens and their Core Software Package for the same price (within $100).

Either camera is going to be great during the day, but my main focus is as night under street lighting conditions.

Does anyone have any comparisons/experience between the two?

I was almost sold on the AXIS P3367-VE for my security needs at my house using the Exacq Software. However, I was just quoted an Avigilion 5MP Dome 1/2.5" Image Sensor with a Kowa 3.5-10mm AI Lens and their Core Software Package for the same price (within $100).

Either camera is going to be great during the day, but my main focus is as night under street lighting conditions.

Does anyone have any comparisons/experience between the two?

No comparisons

Avigilon all the way 1

Look at ipvm, they have some examples of 1MP, 2MP and 5MP but you'll need to do a one month subscription that would allow you to look at the pics etc.

Either way realize these 5MP cameras are not "5MP" at night unless you have LOTS of light. So don't think you're going to zoom out and identify everything with one camera because it has a lot of pixels it does not work like that, unless you have LOTS of light...or a slow shutter speed which is also not that useful.

In have installed many Avigilon 5MP domes you need lots of light for good night time performance.

what lens were you using, that makes it not such a great performer?

It would be nice to see a comparison pics of the two cameras at night, but I can't find anything on YouTube or other sites. When you go to the manufacturer's site they only show the image quality under perfect lighting conditions. Unfortunately that is not what I'm looking for.

I'm aware that a 5MP cameras are not 5MP a night at night and under dimly lit environments.

I did some calculations(width and depth) on the scene that I'm looking to record and the camera and lens that I was quoted. Depending on the camera and it's location (I was quoted 3 cameras for three different locations), I'm getting 95pixels, 85pixels and 75pixels per foot of image. I just need to make sure that I have enough light in those scenes so everything works out.

Yep, the only option is a paying site...you would think they'd post pics if they were THAT much better...

Hopefully once you get it decided and set up you can post some shots

That would be nice to see a video or image of what the cameras are like.

In an ideal situation you would have a site that has camera video and still in different situations.

Example

Camera 1

- Full Sunlight (10,000 lux)

- Overcast (1,000 lux)

- Inside Office (500 lux)

- Inside Home (50lux)

- Moonlight (1 lux)

- Typical Moonlight (.25 lux)

- darkness (.002 lux)

In an ideal situation you would have a site that has camera video and still in different situations.

Example

Camera 1

- Overcast (1,000 lux)

- Inside Home (50lux)

- Moonlight (1 lux)

- darkness (.002 lux)

I'll do what ever you want my hourly rate is $75..

Example

Camera 1

- Overcast (1,000 lux)

- Inside Home (50lux)

- Moonlight (1 lux)

- darkness (.002 lux)

ok now that really is asking a little too much

I'm not asking for it to be done. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting any one person to do it. I think it would be a good selling point from the manufacturer to show that type of information instead of the end user having to spend $1K's just to find out.

An end-user can find plenty of videos of a nicely lit area for the camera, but nothing at night or low light. Probably because it doesn't show their product in the best way which is expected, but it would beneficial if they did.

I'm not asking for it to be done. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting any one person to do it. I think it would be a good selling point from the manufacturer to show that type of information instead of the end user having to spend $1K's just to find out.

I agree somewhat with that, and in fact have posted a lot of pics on this forum for that reason. OTOH, do car manufacturers provide detail on their cars, besides what they are mandated to? E.g. how about stopping distance?

On the other hand, IPVM is $10 a month I think. They auto bill me so I don't really pay attention. That seems a viable option to paying $1000's I think. Same reason I have a subscription to consumer reports. With the cameras you can get an idea of who is going to be around in a few years...

Also I look forward to wireguys pics. Others have mentioned that Avigilon dropped off cameras to people who were serious.

I don't think IPVM was around when I started playing with this. I've noticed others on this forum have memberships...

They take NO advertising money, are not dealers, and understand the concept of shutter speed when providing pics.

Problem is (uneducated) consumers are probably mostly a pain for camera manufacturers (which is why even low end box systems are regarded as providing no support), and a small part of the revenue stream. Some of the installers know what the good stuff is (whether or not that is what they sell), because they deal with it and use it.

And there is a lot of crap out there, being pushed by (LARGE) companies that have no interest in people getting information or becoming educated - just the RMR. And there are people who don't want to learn about this, which is fine also.

However, I was just quoted an Avigilion 5MP Dome 1/2.5" Image Sensor with a Kowa 3.5-10mm AI Lens and their Core Software Package for the same price (within $100).

do avigilon cameras require the avigilon s/w? or are they fairly plug and play with other software based nvr systems? couldn't find much regarding this on their website... particularly the jpeg2000 streaming

do avigilon cameras require the avigilon s/w? or are they fairly plug and play with other software based nvr systems? couldn't find much regarding this on their website... particularly the jpeg2000 streaming

Avigilon jpeg2000 cameras do require the Avigilon Control Center software. Then they are literally plug and play.

Avigilon 5mp dome, 300W floodlight, garden lights are 17w, distance from camera to top of image aprox 125ft. Sorry, don't know lumens from each light, will check.

I intend to get some IR floodlight illumination as houses across the street may not appreciate floodlights on all the time.

The problem I am having at present, prior to having adequate night time illumination is that setting the motion sensor to pick up movement at night, results in it being overly sensetive during the day - slight light changes on the big white bonnet/roof of the vehicles causes LOTS of false motion detections during the daylight hours. Turn the sensetivity down to clear those during the day, and it will pick up virtually nothing short of a whole vehicle moving at night. At present Im letting it chew disk space during the day on false hits and ensuring motion at night gets captured. Hopefully once the area is lit well at night, I can turn the sensetivity down to tune out the fale hits during the day. Or I could just go PIR detection, but really cant be bothered - would rather just throw extra disk space at it to be honest.

Anyway....

Floodlight & garden lights:

183779_1.jpg

Garden lights only:

183779_2.jpg

However, I was just quoted an Avigilion 5MP Dome 1/2.5" Image Sensor with a Kowa 3.5-10mm AI Lens and their Core Software Package for the same price (within $100).

JPEG2000 only works with Avigilon VMS

For many of these cameras at night in fairly dark situations (~1lux or below), can we generalize that a larger sized IR illuminator can be placed somewhere near the camera (or perhaps not) and point out into the yard to help light things up to make that 5MP (or 2MP/3MP) camera be more effective? I guess you can install it and if it's not good enough in it's standard form the extra IR lighting could be added afterwards. I'm finding some of this a bit nebulous to determine without having a camera to demo.. I'll be looking into the IPVM site.. I hadn't heard of it until it was mentioned in this thread.. I learned something new today..

P.S. IPVM is $33 per month for a single quarter (3 months) or $16/mo if you sign up for a year..

JPEG2000 only works with Avigilon VMS

What's the cost of the Avigilon VMS? And Avigilon cameras can't dual stream another codec?

Avigilon 5mp dome, 300W floodlight, garden lights are 17w, distance from camera to top of image aprox 125ft. Sorry, don't know lumens from each light, will check.
Nice pic, noticed the shutter speed could go down to 2 sec.

Do you happen to know how you have that set up for shutter speed?

Nice pic, noticed the shutter speed could go down to 2 sec.

Do you happen to know how you have that set up for shutter speed?

Default setting is 1/30 for the JPEG2000 with a max of 2sec.

H.264 has a default of 1/30 and max 1/30

Will try and get the full res pics up tonight when I am back at home and have access to the client/server. Only have web access at present as I still havent bought the gateway add on just yet.

I shall also post the settings of the camera. I believe from memory this is set at 1/50. 1/30 at night left just a little too much motion blur for my liking, especially with just the garden lighting. I am hoping that with ample IR floodlighting that I may be able to even bring this down to 1/100, but that may be ambitious.

I still need to adjust the focus slightly as the focus is a little too near. Id prefer focus on about midway down the shot.

The intention is to have futher cameras covering areas closer to the house, and leaving this camera covering a main area of the front.

Other cameras are a 2mp internal H264 dome, and 2 x 2mp External H264 dome. (Avigilon again)

I am enjoying the learning exercise with this install (which is my first play with any cctv equipment). Learning about lighting and how it affects the cameras in different locations is interesting. I know that the install would have been finished a lot quicker using a professional installer, and I would not have these issues with lighting and learning how and where to position things, but Im enjoying it so dont mind the extra time its taking me.

An issue I found out I have with one of the cameras is that it looks across an area which has a wall with the central heating boiler vent sited on it. Every day, twice a day I get about half an hour of steam being recorded at a lovely 30fps.

I have tried to remove this area from the motion detection best I can, but removing the whole area where steam could be detected will also remove a doorway from being monitored. So I'm looking into extending the flue for the vent to move it out of shot