matt_perth

What to look for when buying ebay budget cameras (max $100)

Hello,

I am looking at this camera on ebay:-

www.ebay.com.au/itm/170785359280?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

I wanted to get a camera with an Array as I have read that IR led camera have a short life (6,000 hours). Also the camera will point to the house and the array should provide better night vision. 6mm lense should ok as the house is about 10m away and the drive coverage area is 5-10metres from the camera.

Can anyone comment on it please?

or would you recommend this one:-

www.ebay.com.au/itm/330758460674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

This does say super IR LED so concerned if not an array and will have limited life like an LED.

I have this DVR system that I have been very impressed with for my budget:-

www.storageoptions.com/products/cctv/diy-home/diy-home-cctv-kit

Will record D1 format. The included cameras are 420TVL and the quality is not bad at all, quite good actually. CCTV has certainly improved from the camera I had 10 years ago that was a grainy black and white picture...

Thanks very much for any comments.

Matt

I've been buying a lot of cameras trying to figure out what is going to work best for me. I've quickly learned the no-name brand ones are sketchy at best. IMO one of the most important things to look for is the DSP. Sony Effio-E or Nexchip 2040 are pretty much bare minimum. I'd really stick with name brand, you'll save more in the end and can actually get warranty work done.

Hello,

I am looking at this camera on ebay:-

www.ebay.com.au/itm/170785359280?ssPage ... rksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

I wanted to get a camera with an Array as I have read that IR led camera have a short life (6,000 hours). Also the camera will point to the house and the array should provide better night vision. 6mm lense should ok as the house is about 10m away and the drive coverage area is 5-10metres from the camera.

Can anyone comment on it please?

or would you recommend this one:-

www.ebay.com.au/itm/330758460674?ssPage ... rksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649

This does say super IR LED so concerned if not an array and will have limited life like an LED.

I have this DVR system that I have been very impressed with for my budget:-

www.storageoptions.com/products/cctv/di ... e-cctv-kit

Will record D1 format. The included cameras are 420TVL and the quality is not bad at all, quite good actually. CCTV has certainly improved from the camera I had 10 years ago that was a grainy black and white picture...

Thanks very much for any comments.

Matt

There are reasons why IR based cameras are in the shape and design they are today. This looks like a design that's from another planet.

1. They offer no IP certification to back up their waterproof-ness. Waterproof require IP 67 or higher.

2. the IR maximum distance described here, 100 feet, will most likely not work with this SINGLE LED. I don't care how powerful it is. If this camera sees 100 feet inside a building with white walls, I'll be impressed.

3. The camera does not describe the beam spread of the IR LED illuminator.

4. 6mm lens on a 1/3" imager will give you a field of view of 80(L)x 60 (H) feet. A human head will look like a dot, if the camera does see that far.

5. I have NEVER seen a monofocal CCTV lens with F1.2. Do you know how difficult it is to achieve F1.2 on a bigger varifocal lens?

6. Most cameras have migrated to S/N ratio of 50db or higher. 48db was considered good back in mid to late 2000s.

But then again, I can be completely wrong. I would get a sample and test one out.

Thanks for your comments. I will give those cameras a miss and go for an IR led one - there is much more option then as well.

How long do you find the IR leds last?

I will get one with Sony Effio-E DSP also higher SN ratio. Seen some 60dB

Thanks

Matt

Thanks for your comments. I will give those cameras a miss and go for an IR led one - there is much more option then as well.

How long do you find the IR leds last?

I will get one with Sony Effio-E DSP also higher SN ratio. Seen some 60dB

Thanks

Matt

Hello Matt,

A realistic S/N ratio today should be anywhere from 50dB to 52dB. Even 54dB would be pushing the specs.

Please note, on the other hand, that signal to noise ratio can be measured in different settings set by the IRE. So is it possible that this camera achieved 60dB? Of course. But I'd be skeptical about their testing methods.

When you get an Effio based camera, verify that you have 960H CCD in the camera.

When you get an Effio based camera, verify that you have 960H CCD in the camera.
Why? 960H imagers don't demonstrate any benefits when coupled with 4CIF/D1 recorders.

Why? 960H imagers don't demonstrate any benefits when coupled with 4CIF/D1 recorders.

All I'm saying is that there are companies that are promoting "Effio" cameras with another CCD, which would be fakes. Yes, 960H imager offers no benefit to today's standard resolution DVRs, but there are 960H specific DVRs that are starting to emerge.

I haven't found that Effio-chip cameras offer any improvements over cameras that employ SuperHAD II imagers.

Check out the Qvis Eye 34, its a nice camera, softball type dome, good day and night performance and its ~$75 a camera.

I guess it must be up to the camera manufacturer how well they integrate the 960H sensors, then. I've evaluated a number of Effio cameras whose resolution on straight analog matrices and monitors are no better than any other 500(+) line rated camera. That includes major brands. Then again, the inMotion in11S3N2D cameras do show improved resolution on our equipment and they use the SuperHAD II imagers.

Check out the Qvis Eye 34, its a nice camera, softball type dome, good day and night performance and its ~$75 a camera.

I just received one of these this week. I'm very impressed with it, great camera. I will definately be getting more.

Thanks for all your help. I will get one of those Qvis eyeball cameras. Rare as in Australia but will be in UK for work next week and can get them there.

I cant see the 34 one but these 2 - what one would you recommend?

I have asked for the Qvis model number for this one as not listed:-

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270948192983?ssPageN ... 1423.l2649

This is by Qvis (stamped on it but advertised at Le-Hatch as well!?!!), it is a EYE-2006VFHGR

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251118479255?ssPageN ... 1423.l2649

Here is the spec for it:-

LE HATCH -650TVL, 4-9mm Korean IR varifocal Lens, Armoured housing, 36pc IR leds

Model No. Effio-E

Image Sensor 1/3” Sony 760H Exview CCD

Number of Total Pixels PAL: 752(H)x582(V), NTSC: 768(H)x494(V)

Resolution ; DSP Color:600TVL, B/W:650TVL ; Sony Effio-E

Minimum Illumination Color:0.03Lux / F1.0, B/W:0.01Lux / F1.0,

Video Output 1.0Vp-p Composite, 75Ω (BNC)

Signal to Noise Ratio More than 52dB (AGC off, Weight on)

Gamma Correction 0.45

Lens 4-9mm varifocal lens

IR LED 30pcs

Working Distance 25-35M

Menu OSD Control

Title TITLE (LOCATION)

Synchronizing System INTERNAL

Digital Day & Night Mode COLOR / B&W / AUTO / EXT

Electronic Shutter

AUTO (1/50(60)~1/100,000 sec.) / MANUAL: 1/50(60),

FL 1/120(100), 1/250, 1/500, 1/1,000, 1/2,000, 1/4,000,

1/10,000 sec.

Automatic Gain Control AUTO (4 Steps)

White Balance ATW / PUSH / USER1 / USER2 / ANTI CR / MANUAL /

PUSH LOCK

Back Light Compensation HLC / BLC / OFF

Flickerless ON / OFF

Dynamic Noise Reduction 2D

Sense Up NA

Face Detection NA

Language ENGLISH / JAPANESE / GERMAN / FRENCH / RUSSIAN /

PORTUGUESE / SPANISH

E-Zoom NA

Motion Detection ; Privacy ON / OFF (24x16 Zones, Alarm) ; ON / OFF (8 Zones Pro-grammable, Mosaic)

Also was going to add I record in D1 format so either 600 or 650TVL should not make a difference

Thanks

Re: What to look for when buying ebay budget cameras

The best thing to look for is the OFF button on your PC.

with the two links you have posted from ebay. £60 ($120)

i see your links are in the uk. look at local stores .......... you get warranty backup and easy return if anything goes wrong. and you will get better for £60

I have had nuthin but a total nightmare when buying a camera from Echet. If you have problems with the camera, that is where the fun starts. All the red tape you have to go through is just not worth it to me.

I agree you do have to be careful on ebay but I have brought 100s of things and never had any problems, I always look at the sellers history. The last camera I got was a cheaper dome camera, I got it while in the UK from an ebay seller who was also a CCTV E-retailer with excellent feedback. Great camera, and great price, would have cost x 3 here. Working without problem.

You guys in the States/UK are so lucky - you will not believe how expensive things are now in Australia. The same item cost much more here. no matter what it is. You should see the price of cars not 10-20% more, some model 200% - 300% dealer!! Ebay is great it you have to budget, unfortunately I have a huge mortgage - recently paid just under 1 million dollars for our place - not a mansion like you would get in uk/usa, it is an average house. Australia now has a similar exchange rate as the States.

Maybe you can think about one which is made in China,the price of it will be lower!!!

Had an $80 budget not $20

Just got the Effio-e 650TVL >52dB S/N QVIS eyeball camera for that as recommended on here.

Thanks for all your recommendations.

Regards

Matt

Hello All,

I hope I did not miss anything. I think this LED is Laser LED not common one. Which is should be careful to install otherwise it would damage EYE.

And F1.2 lens is exist but normally you do not have equipment to test, you know many Chinese claim how their specare but you need inspect all detail or ...

For Effio's DVR at present some supplier have launched dedicated one, simply say is you could check effio resolution is exceed D1(4CIF). We call effio resolution is WD1.

eBay cameras are available on the market with different types of different means. The most commonly advertised detail about any camera on the market, is the number of 'megapixels' it has. At the time of writing this guide, most cameras will have around 8 megapixels which is a fairly good standard to get for high quality pictures.

I know most people hate the thought of ebay camera's, chinese made camera's, etc... What make's them so bad?

I would think even the super expensive name brand cameras are still MADE in china, and I would think that some of the chinese made no-namers can be made with identical components, sensors, dsp's, housings, lenses, just not in the same retail name brand box or silk screened logo?

Not plugging for any brand or generic, just asking a question. I have seen tons of 700tvl effio cameras from china with what claim to be nice specs, cheaper than comparable known brand names... are they really that different??????????

What makes them so bad? Support after the sale. You can get brand name cameras under $100 now. The Qvis Eye-34N at $70 is hard to beat. Even the CNB 24VF series in the $120 range. So getting a no-name effio based camera in the $70 range doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Well I thought I would give an update.

I have had the QVIS EYE-2006VFHGR camera over 4 months now and it is excellent.

The quality is outstanding and works perfectly. I spend a lot of time researching and brand name is the way to go with S/N ratio >52dB.

Got it for 55 pounds ($80) on ebay from a seller with perfect feedback so you can get a great camera under $80

Yeah, the little Qvis' with DSPs are probably the absolute best bang for the buck right now. About 10% more than a similar no-name, take your chances type dome.