paowens76

Geovision GV 800V3 system freezing

Hi All,

I have a Gv 800 system that is recording for two or three hours then it freezes up completely!! only the mouse will work and I cannot shut the system down properly. The system specs are below and this seems only to have started after I burned some footage onto a c.d.I have tried re-loading the software (ver 6.05) onto the other side of the partition D: updated all motherboard drivers still the same result.

Any help Appreciated

System:

GV 800v3 16cam Card D-type

Win XP

celeron 2.66 gh

1gb ddr ram

gigabyte ga 8S651mp-r2 mb

sis 651 chipset

geforce Fx 5200 video card

Happens here occasionally as well, among other annoyances like the web server dying whenever it feels like it. Geo sucks dongles.

upgrade to 6.11 and give it a try. Also, make sure that you are using a seperate IDE channel for the CDRW and HDD. Make them both master and use another cable, no cable select. If you can beef up the CPU it wouldn't hurt you any, like a P4 3.0 (no celeron) in your case with 16 cames at that frame rate.

scottj

Hi Guys,

thanks for all your suggestions, hopefully I will get around this problem. I have been in contact with geovision tech support in Tiawan and didn't get any really useful information from them (as well as waiting 2 days for a reply).

Thanks Again,

Paul.

Try removing the GV card and running your PC to make sure that it's not the machine acting up. Remove the card making sure to completely remove all drivers, again run the machine to make sure it's fine. Reinstall the card and drivers see if it will run, also try another PCI slot. If you can try it on another PC do it.

If your webserver is dying unexpectedly, make sure you don't have any other software competing for the same TCP/IP ports. This is usually the root of all webcam problems.

HI,

This system is still giving problems. Geovision recomended I defrag the hard drive which I did and left it recording over the weekend It froze after two days. I went back in and analysed the hard disk again and it said to defrag it again!!! The video files must be getting fragmented somehow would a change of hard drive do anything for this or am I wasting my time, Is there any way to schedule a disk defrag every other day??? I'm really stuck with this one.

Paul.

Paul,

All the video data will be fragmented, that is normal. Who at GeoVision told you to defrag the drive as a means of tech support? haha

Scottj

If the video is stored on a seperate partition there should be no need to defrag at all.

I would clean the video drive fully...not a quick format as corrupted geo files are a real headache.

I think it may be an issue with the slot you are using, do not use first or last slot and i would stress test your ram, but strange that mouse still works.

make sure your not accidently recording to c:

Boy, talk about trying to get rid of a customer when the tech support person doesn't have a clue how to help!

If you contact GeoVision again make sure you don't get that person again, they obviously did not have a clue on how to help you. So they gave you that lame degrag the hard disk bull crap.

They should be walking you through a methodical trouble shooting routine, things like:

1) check devices under my computer and make sure there are not conflicts, yellow splats will show up next to an item if the driver is screwed up for that device.

2) Chkdsk /f - scan and fix error in your file system, done from dos command prompt.

3) Run a utility program to check that RAM is ok?

This is just a few things and not real good examples of the proper order, there are so many things that can cause a system to lock up, but they should be running down a list of some kind. And they should be doing it in the order of the most likely cause and be moving down the list.

I hope the rest of the tech support staff is better trained or knowledgeable about the products they sell. They might as well outsource to people who have used the product if they can’t do better that how they handled you. Unfortunately this is very common when calling companies for tech support. They throw the people into the job with little or no training and expect them to help people

paowens76: just had a look at the mobo specs..it shows that it comes with Norton Anti-Virus..you didn't install it did you? If you did, try uninstalling and running the system because there is a know issue with Norton and Geovision. Also, I hope I'm looking at the right board, but this one shows that it has onboard video on it. If it does make sure you disabled it in the BIOS.

Since your problems started right after you've burned some video footage, it might be that you've filled up the OS partition with video files which were not deleted from there after burning. Shortly, make sure you have enough free space on this drive.

An other option is your Geforce card. Try disabling all Direct3D/DirectX accelerations through Dispaly Settings -->Advanced-->Troubleshoot. You'll get a lower quality image, but if the system works fine this way, then the problem lies with the video card. Replace it with an ATI.

Guys,

I really do appreciate all your comments and suggestions Thanks!! I think I was starting to realise the guys at geovision don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Andy: I got rid of Norton already when I built the system initially also disabled onboard video.

Jasper: No conflicts on Device manager list, ran western digital extended HD test and it Passed. Going to run a RAM Utility next

I have installed a new HD and am recording onto that to rule in or out HD trouble after that I will try what you suggested Loop.Again thanks for all your help without you guys I would have been completely stumped.

Paul.

P.S These cards should come with a health warning!!!!

P.S These cards should come with a health warning!!!!

Yep, the warning is, dont install ..

unless you already have grey hair