voip-ninja

External residential CAT5 installs.... tips?

So I have one final camera to install and it's at a point in my house where a CAT5 run is going to be difficult to do in-wall.

What's the recommendation for running CAT5 externally on the outside of a residence? Do I have to run conduit for it to be up to code (and if so what kind of conduit is recommended for this), or could I simply staple some outdoor rated CAT5 along the eaves and then paint it to match?

Thanks.

So I have one final camera to install and it's at a point in my house where a CAT5 run is going to be difficult to do in-wall.

What's the recommendation for running CAT5 externally on the outside of a residence? Do I have to run conduit for it to be up to code (and if so what kind of conduit is recommended for this), or could I simply staple some outdoor rated CAT5 along the eaves and then paint it to match?

Thanks.

If its for your own home you can do either. I would recommend for your own home to run the external grade cat5 using standarrd cable grips (4-5mm) and avoid staples outdoors even if it is strait into wood. T25 staples are just that little bit too small and there isa risk of nicking the outer sleeve of the cat5 which would make it somewhat vulnerable, but nick it a few times and you've wasted your time.

If you use plastic conduit, we use 20 or 25mm round black conduit into a IP65 junction box adjacent to the camera. We use saddles to fix the conduit every 600mm or so into the mortar joints in brick and straight into the wood on wood cladding.

We use the conduit for commercial clients and external grade for domestic clients as they prefer the lower profile visual impact of external cat5. Transition your external from internal using either jelly crimps or an IDC junction box remembering to hide it inside the building or in an external IP65 JB.

Thanks.

If its for your own home you can do either. I would recommend for your own home to run the external grade cat5 using standarrd cable grips (4-5mm) and avoid staples outdoors even if it is strait into wood. T25 staples are just that little bit too small and there isa risk of nicking the outer sleeve of the cat5 which would make it somewhat vulnerable, but nick it a few times and you've wasted your time.

If you use plastic conduit, we use 20 or 25mm round black conduit into a IP65 junction box adjacent to the camera. We use saddles to fix the conduit every 600mm or so into the mortar joints in brick and straight into the wood on wood cladding.

We use the conduit for commercial clients and external grade for domestic clients as they prefer the lower profile visual impact of external cat5. Transition your external from internal using either jelly crimps or an IDC junction box remembering to hide it inside the building or in an external IP65 JB.

Thanks very much for the info, this is good stuff. Now I just have to figure out where to get some of this stuff!

I started my career as a field telecom guy but I was on the engineering side, not the tech services side, so I'm sure some of my old colleagues would have an idea of where to get some of this stuff.

i use t-25 round staples on cat5e all the time, there's *no* problem as long as you're careful. the staples are plenty wider than the wire itself - t25 staples are 7.5mm wide; cable outside diameter is typically 5.5mm (they actually fit rg6 snugly). just set the depth guide to the middle stop so it nicely fits over the wire and keeps it aligned.

i don't know what "outdoor rated" cat5 is... there's "direct burial" but that's extreme overkill for going under your eaves. any regular stuff should be fine. for what you're doing.

all the other stuff for conduit, junction boxes, etc. you should be able to find at home depot, lowes, etc.

I personally had to run some cables on two cameras -- obviously outside and I chose to install all of the cables in rigid EMT (metal) conduit.. It looks very professional and ensures that nobody will tamper with it without using a hammer, hacksaw, or similar..

i

i don't know what "outdoor rated" cat5 is... there's "direct burial" but that's extreme overkill for going under your eaves. any regular stuff should be fine. for what you're doing.

all the other stuff for conduit, junction boxes, etc. you should be able to find at home depot, lowes, etc.

The primary difference between outdoor rated UTP cable and regular UTP is in the cable sheathing. Outdoor rated cable won't break down under UV and water exposure, your regular bargain basement cat5 cable will deteriorate more quickly.

I would use the outdoor rated because any nick can potentially let mositure in and then you get to do it all over again. I have seen regular cat five's jacket start to fade in a matter of week where it is exposed to direct sunlight.

You can get cat5 ribbon cable, then it's flat and more conceled under your eaves.

You best bet is to get an electrician and have them find a way to fish the cable through your attic or walls and will probably be less expensive than getting a spool of outdoor Cat5.

Outdoors, we run everything in conduit and all Cat5e or Cat6 shielded burial grade. You can get a spool for about $300 shipped. It has a grease like coating between the outer cover and the internal wires to self seal should it get nicked or crack.

Just make sure the cables can handle UV light.

Some cheap cables tend to rip open on spots where there's some tension on the cables (e.g. corners) if they can't handle UV light.

Some cheap cables tend to rip open on spots where there's some tension on the cables (e.g. corners) if they can't handle UV light.

Quite right, it's the UV light that breaks down cable insulation therefore it's nearly always black as it has a high content of carbon for UV resistance. It is not that much more expensive, but then neither is black 20mm plastic conduit. The latter being more time consuming but worth the extra effort. Of course you could use both and be ultar safe a sort of belt and braces approach.

207112_1.1

I've had regular Cat5 running up the side of my house - getto fab style - from DVR to router for the last 5 years. No problems whatsoever. I put it in before knew about drip loops and more finer points of installing wire. Still going strong despite it running up the south side (full sun) side of the house.

I've had regular Cat5 running up the side of my house - getto fab style - from DVR to router for the last 5 years. No problems whatsoever. I put it in before knew about drip loops and more finer points of installing wire. Still going strong despite it running up the south side (full sun) side of the house.

Well of course there are always the exceptions that disproves the rule, and thats good news, but the point of doing things the 'prescribed' way is to avoid the possibility of trouble developing.

With respect you did your cable run as an enthusiastic amateur once in five years whereas the professional cannot afford to take the risk, so looks at the possibilities for failure and tries to take those into account, using outdoor rated cable, installing drip loops as you say, using IP rated junction boxes etc. If you are paying someone to do such a job for you, you'd be right to expect them to do the job to their best ability.

I cannot deny once having used internal Cat5 for an outside run, I haven't been called back so I am assuming it has been okay, but I only used it because obtaining external cable would have meant a delay of a couple of days and I was booked solid that week. The guilt stayed with me for about a month.

I would never level any criticism at you for having internal cable outside, I just am pleased for you that it's given you no trouble, but if asked for advice I give the best advice I can and try not to lead people into the possibility of a troublesome experience. From now on I will add as a side-note that I am aware of people using indoor cable outdoors, however in my humble opinion, it's not the best option.

Standard cat5 will do just what you need.......it's been around for years for both internal and external.

If its clipped then you will have no problems at all. Paint over it and it will last years

Hey guys, FWIW I wanted to follow up. For one of my exterior cameras I was able to use a bit extension and safely do a cut through from the exterior to an interior location where I could route the cable.

For the 2nd one, I opted for an easier (but somewhat less optimal) install location so that I could route the wire directly into my garage and down into my basement where all of my runs terminate to midspan units.

So, problem averted.

If I had decided to go the exterior route, I for sure would have used exterior graded CAT5 cable. I found a reseller on Amazon who sells 50' cables with water tight ends for $40. I would have then just used silicone tape or "jelly crimps" to bring the cable into the interior of the home where I would have continued with regular CAT5/6 cable.

To me, as an amateur, I would always go with the stuff rated for the job vs saving a few bucks and potentially having to re-do work in a few years. I hope to not have to touch these drops for at least 10 years.

Thanks again.

Hey guys, FWIW I wanted to follow up. For one of my exterior cameras I was able to use a bit extension and safely do a cut through from the exterior to an interior location where I could route the cable.

For the 2nd one, I opted for an easier (but somewhat less optimal) install location so that I could route the wire directly into my garage and down into my basement where all of my runs terminate to midspan units.

So, problem averted.

If I had decided to go the exterior route, I for sure would have used exterior graded CAT5 cable. I found a reseller on Amazon who sells 50' cables with water tight ends for $40. I would have then just used silicone tape or "jelly crimps" to bring the cable into the interior of the home where I would have continued with regular CAT5/6 cable.

To me, as an amateur, I would always go with the stuff rated for the job vs saving a few bucks and potentially having to re-do work in a few years. I hope to not have to touch these drops for at least 10 years.

Thanks again.

Those who buy cheap buy twice (or 3 times if they're really mean)

So, problem averted.

Thanks again.

Hi ......be careful of pre made .....with water tight ends ......they don't exist.

Cat 5 has been out well over 30 years .........people new to the industry think cat5 is new........for your application all you need is standard......it will last more than your 10 years

So, problem averted.

Thanks again.

Hi ......be careful of pre made .....with water tight ends ......they don't exist.

Cat 5 has been out well over 30 years .........people new to the industry think cat5 is new........for your application all you need is standard......it will last more than your 10 years

I am not new to the industry, I have been working in telecom for over 15 years where we use CAT3 and in the last decade or so CAT5. My understanding is that our technicians that do wire runs use different cable for exterior building applications vs. normal interior wiring where "regular" or plenum rated cable is used.

this is only a concern if they'll be exposed to direct sunlight. under the eaves, tucked into siding, on the shaded side of the house, uv isn't a problem.

this is only a concern if they'll be exposed to direct sunlight. under the eaves, tucked into siding, on the shaded side of the house, uv isn't a problem.

This is just fine for DIYers decidng if they want to shell out a few extra dollars, but the diffeence in cost to a professional weighed up against the cost (and inconvenience of having to strip out and redo failed cable it isn't worth the saving on the off-chance. Besides, the client paid for the best job you are capable of, we owe it to them to ensure their wiring is at least as good as it needs to be if not better and not penny pinch at every turn.

No offense meant to anyone by my terminology, it's just the way I feel about under-specifying just to save few dollars.

Within any trade there are always differences of opinion on these sorts of thing. Honestly, when I see a contractor using the cheapest materials, fasteners or whatever on a job it doesn't leave me with a very good feeling. I will typically try to hire someone who does a job as close to the way I would do it as possible.

Prices have dropped on the burial grade cable that I use outdoors. It has a tougher coating and if it gets nicked, it has a gel inside that self seals the expose wire. Used to pay $200 for 500' of cat5, now you can get 1,000' of cat6 for the same price. I figure the burial grade gel probably tastes bad to rodents. There's also exterior grade that's not burial grade and that's maybe half way in price between burial grade and standard cat5. If anyone wants practice, we are laying 1,600' pretty soon in one long run.