lokariototal

On security camera brands

What are in your opinion the best brands of security cameras? What do you think about the Samsung CCTV security cameras? How do the brands UTC, Samsung and Axis compare to each other, in the quality of the surveillance cameras they sell? What are, in your opinion, Samsung's best surveillance cameras, ever?

Share your thoughts below.

Thanks!

It would take a "book" to answer all of that. Maybe someone on the forum can give you some directive, but there are just too many variables for me.

Dennis

It would take a "book" to answer all of that. Maybe someone on the forum can give you some directive, but there are just too many variables for me.

Dennis

That's not the kind of knowledge I seek. I'm not looking for text book knowledge, I'm looking for personal, anecdotal experience and wisdom.

Its too hard to generalize like that. I've sampled just about every newer model of CNB Analog cameras and they range from not so hot, to top of the charts. Samsung is certainly able to produce a good quality camera, however they aren't very popular around here.

i still can't believe that anyone would recommend any system other than IP digital cameras. By far the leader of the industry is Mobotix. This might help.

[MOD: link removed]

i still can't believe that anyone would recommend any system other than IP digital cameras. By far the leader of the industry is Mobotix. This might help.

one thing you are DOING is making your company look stupid

In terms of analogue cameras, it all depends on what style of camera you want.

Different styles are more suitable for some situations than others.

First decide what style of camera would suit your installation, then look at what features you want, and then consider which brands have given good service.

The brands I prefer are several and for varied reasons. Where I have mostly indoor cameras I prefer low light indoor domes from QVIS and Concept-Pro, whereas bullet style I prefer Cop Security and again Concept Pro unless money is an issue, then QVIS are very good value. Not all customers are prepared to pay for top of the range cameras so sometimes a compromise between price and performance needs to be made.

Brands like Sanyo, JVC and Samsung all do pretty good cameras throughout their range especially when using body cameras.

My two favourite brands overall QVIS where price is an issue and Concept-Pro and COP where performance is more important but still there is a budget to meet.

No experience to speak of with IP so can't comment

Well you did ask

I have never used Genie but I hear they are very good.

Lots of manufacturers (and even more resellers) out there to choose from and very hard to generalize which the "best" ones are... My company uses Samsung security products very frequently as their pricing, quality, support and brand recognition all equate to a great value (especially their box cameras with a nice housing). I consider Axis as more expensive but higher quality (image, build, support)... Cheaper solutions we frequently use are Vitek & digital watchdog, especially for domes...

Take a look at the following sites for reviews of specific cameras, including sample footage, and other useful info:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/

http://www.networkwebcams.com/ip-camera-learning-center/

Samsung CCTV camera look really nice.In fact in Finland there are many people using some brand like this and some are buying cctv at http://samsec.fi/ which most of their cctv also has a good quality.

The best brand is the one that gets the job done for your needs. Every install and setup is different. I see many, many , many people looking for very low cost IP cameras or try to make do with analog. Then I see these same companies on the news showing substandard video evidence trying to track down a robber or vandal. A good security camera is one that allows you to capture the information you need, to either monitor or provide evidence if something goes wrong. Its like rock climbing, do you spend the money on a fully tested 10,000lb rated rope for $200 to catch you if you fall, or do you go down to Home Depot for a $20 Rope. Both will work in some cases, but would you trust your life to "some" cases.

We have been installing cameras for the last two years and I still find it difficult to select the right cameras. We tried to simplify by choosing one brand name but this doesn't work. Some brands have better domes, some better bullets and some better box cams. Prices fluctuate all over the map. You can get a 2.8-12mm Dome anywhere from $99-399 (at least up here in Canada) and from our experience paying more doesn't necessarily mean better.

In our experience -

GeoVision - Great domes, starlight cameras are stellar even without IR

Digital Watchdog - Domes are so-so, Bullets are pretty good. DVRs are consistent and easy to setup.

Clinton - Only tried 2 different domes and not impressed. Long range bullets are great.

Digimerge - Only used them for the Touch DVRS. Found them to be reliable and like the simplicity of the mobile apps.

Honeywell - Used some entry level cams, pretty good for the price.

Samsung - Box cams are little more expensive, but very good picture.

Recently ordered some Digital Watchdog IP cams and Geovision IP Cams. Wow... Its going to be hard to continue selling Analog.

Geovision basic IP NVR Lite for $600+/- and no License fees for Geovision cameras is very tempting.

Erik, do you have any pics out of the IP cameras for good night vision?

The cams I have are not IR but I will try get some pics of of them at night.. (I don't have recording setup)