Marrkk

Monitor Suggestions

I'm revamping my complete camera surveillance system and would like some suggestions on monitors. I currently have three 19" Panasonic monitors which completely fill the provided 5' (60")wide space. I have plenty of depth, so I see no point in going to LCD monitors, as everything I have read indicates that they are generally inferior to CRT monitors (except for very pricey high-end models). I have also heard that the best CRT is the Sony Trinitron. I'd like to replace the Panasonics with FST (Flat Square Tube) monitors. The SONY 19" (20" tube) SSM20L1 lists for about twice what most others sell for (over $1k ea.). Are there any other companies using the 20" Sony FST trinitron in their monitors?

Also, this website is advertising "B Stock: Sony monitors for $262.50:

http://www.bpcvalue.com/InventoryDetail.cfm?Rec_Num=4328

Any experiences/ suggestions?

CRT beats out ANY LCD monitor for quality. Even a Cheap 13" CRT TV beats an LCd for quality.

As for CCTV monitors, I dont know of the Sony, but GE has some 19" High Res CCTV Monitors, their monitors last and look much more professional than the Sony one in that link.

Even CCTV monitors have their specs, what are you looking to use these for? What type of cameras are currently installed?

Rory

Thanks, Rory.

I'm the same person looking for camera suggestions on the other thread that you responded to - I did notice you suggestion for GE monitors there also.

I will be using two of these monitors in split screen mode to view a total of 16 cameras fed from a GE DVMre- so both will probably be in 9 camera mode with the third on full screen.

Your camera suggestions were good, but a bit too pricey for me. I'll probably stay with conventional 1/3" cameras in an enclosure. (I don't have the environmental problems here in California that you probably have, so the Extreme would be overkill).

I really would like flat screen monitors, I don't think the GE is one.

Thanks again!

No prob, noone has flat screen CCTV monitors, they have LCD's, all brand names have them, they are all going to be pretty much the same quality, and basically the same cost.

If you are using GE DVRs, may as well use their CCTV Monitors, they are as high grade as they come. Otherwise a monitor is a monitor, just take note of the specs

Any LCD CCTV Monitor will give you a pixelized image though, CRT is the only good quality Monitor for analogue CCTV (non PC based DVRs).

Rory

Here is a CRT style monitor, hi-res, with two video inputs. I agree that the LCD monitors just don't make it when it comes to CCTV composite video.

Just can't get the color saturation, brightness, and angle of view that you do with a tube monitor and bright room light can wash it out. Plus tube monitors are way less money. Only downsides are space requirements and you can burn an image on a CRT after a period of time.

http://www.vitekcctv.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=72

I dont think those Panasonic monitors would be the best bet..first of all they are much more expensive than the Sanyo. Second the chasis that they are using is coming over from Panasonic consumer. Panasonic consumer has now discontinued ALL CRT (tube) style TV'S. Therefore I dont know how much longer Panasonic Security will even have the WV-CK2020A available. The Sanyo is still the better buy.

Is it true that it is TV monitors last longer than PC monitors? I have a vendor who is strongly urging me to keep my TV monitors in my analog-to-digital recording conversion project. I had specified that I wanted all my TV monitors replaced. Actually, quite a few are not in good condition. So, I was taking this opportunity to renew my CCTV system.

So, what's the advice?

Errrr. I thought they are the same. Pardon my ignorance.

But I do know the brands are Gantz and Panasonic.

I think they are CCTV monitors

Yes they are industrial monitors, if they are still good keep them, if they are old replace them. Basically if you are using analogue systems, they are the type you want for best quality.

Better quality in what sense? Clarity? Robustness?

More costly than PC monitors right?

But if I am replacing with a digital recording system, then should I still use CCTV monitors? Or it is okay to change to SVGAs?

More Robust, designed to be left on 24/7 52 weeks a year, though with older models and even new ones, you can still get image burn in.

Higher quality also, using Composite Outputs from the DVR, compared to a VGA monitor with a PC.

is the new system PC based or Standalone, what brand/model is the new system?

New system not installed yet but likely to be the Huper DVR (I had started a discussion thread on this topic)

So, it is a PC Based system

Then no, unless you are going to also have a DSP card (analogue output), which can use a TV or CCTV Monitor via RCA output, then you would want to use a PC monitor.

I think you would be a lot happier.

The quality is much better than a computer monitor.

No comparison.

I dont think those Panasonic monitors would be the best bet..first of all they are much more expensive than the Sanyo. Second the chasis that they are using is coming over from Panasonic consumer. Panasonic consumer has now discontinued ALL CRT (tube) style TV'S. Therefore I dont know how much longer Panasonic Security will even have the WV-CK2020A available. The Sanyo is still the better buy.

I picked up a brand new Panasonic WV-CM1780 a while back. They are not as good? Or is it the CK* that is not as good?

Then no, unless you are going to also have a DSP card (analogue output), which can use a TV or CCTV Monitor via RCA output, then you would want to use a PC monitor.

Well, I forgot to mention one thing. In my conversion specs, I had indicated that I would like to keep my matrix switchers (for easy spot on monitoring and PTZ control). So, I am told by another vendor that the output is analogue. So, it would be advisable to use CCTV monitors but if I still want PC monitors, then some conversion device would be needed. Consequently, some signal loss should be expected resulting in lower image quality. Is this true?

the matrix switchers would be analogue and then require a CCTV monitor, other wise yes loss in quality converting it to VGA.