shockwave199

Brutal cold- how do the cameras hold up

We've had sub zero temps here this week. Mostly 2 degrees and lower at night. All my analog cameras are fine with those temps, including my ptz's. No problems at all. Are MP cameras as hardy at extreme temps- cold or hot? Maybe you could report which cameras you have and how well they are doing. I don't know what it's really saying more about- the enclosures, the connections, or the cameras themselves. But I'm interested. Thanks.

We've had sub zero temps here this week. Mostly 2 degrees and lower at night. All my analog cameras are fine with those temps, including my ptz's. No problems at all. Are MP cameras as hardy at extreme temps- cold or hot? Maybe you could report which cameras you have and how well they are doing. I don't know what it's really saying more about- the enclosures, the connections, or the cameras themselves. But I'm interested. Thanks.

I have lots and lots of Avigilon working at -20 -30 C (down to -10 F )

and by the way on PoE only !

without any problem

We have had temps in the teens for the last week. I have Avigilon cameras mounted on the top of one ski resort directly in the line of the snows guns without issues. H.264 box camera in a Dotworkz housing. The snow guns turn these cameras in to giant hanging snow balls.

We are in Michigan and have many analog and IP cameras outside and never have had a temp related problem. We have seen temps as low as -14 F for a few days in a row and had no reported issues.

We run Panasonic outdoor IP cams and in the specs it sais " -20" no heater required. We tested this over the last couple weeks here in Minneapolis, MN and did not have any issues. I will continue to use them. Very happy.

My Dahua hfw2100 survived the -30c temps we got last week (even though it's rated for -10c) without a hiccup. Maximums for the days were around -22c, minimums during the nights around -30c, excluding wind chill. It lasted 5-6 days; I must say I'm quite pleased it continued to work without a heater or any type of enclosure. My analog cams also worked flawlessly during the same period (they are monoprice cheap cams).

To give my american friends an idea, -30c is -22f !

-22F is beyond comprehension. The coldest I ever had to walk around in was in Toronto, -12F at 9AM and wearing what Canadians call a touk, we call a full face ski mask, my face tingled and went numb walking a half a city block and I had to walk 2 blocks to our office, not fun.

Have installed many IP cameras here in cold Finland, 64 degrees north.

Typically the minimum during every winter goes to -30c or more. At home I have 4 x Planet indoor IP cameras (ICA-HM100 and ICA-107) installed

outdoors. The only protection is a halogen light box, no heating. They have been running fine now 2,5 years.

http://www.bizrice.com/upload/20120106/Halogen_IP55_Auto_Detector_Light_Camera_Hidden.jpg

Just like that but the insides have been ripped off.

Then I have installed number of Zavio B5110s, Planet ICA-HM312s and HM316s, no problem in cold.

The only camera that has been not working was Zavio D7110. In specs there is -10c and yes, installed it for test in -17c temperature and noticed

that everything else was working but no picture - only white. After bringing the camera in and letting it warm a bit it was working again.

Weirdest thing is that after getting new FW update this camera is working also ok in cold:)

Johannes

-22F is beyond comprehension. The coldest I ever had to walk around in was in Toronto, -12F at 9AM and wearing what Canadians call a touk, we call a full face ski mask, my face tingled and went numb walking a half a city block and I had to walk 2 blocks to our office, not fun.

Beat you all this morning.

Temperature @ 6:30 am this morning (with the windchill factor in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) was -46 Celcius (-50.8 F).

No joke.

This is a "cool" thread - haha. It's good to here from all over what cameras will do when pushed to the edge of the specs. I have found more problems with wiring/ NVTs/ mounts, etc. than with the cameras themselves. We do a cold storage facility here and we have many Panasonic analog domes in the freezer area. Roughly 0 deg F ( whatever FDA temp. is ) and they have heaters - been installed for 3-4 years now and not one failure. Went out to refocus once but nothing else.

This is a "cool" thread - haha. It's good to here from all over what cameras will do when pushed to the edge of the specs. I have found more problems with wiring/ NVTs/ mounts, etc. than with the cameras themselves. We do a cold storage facility here and we have many Panasonic analog domes in the freezer area. Roughly 0 deg F ( whatever FDA temp. is ) and they have heaters - been installed for 3-4 years now and not one failure. Went out to refocus once but nothing else.

I've got some that have been covered in ice and huge ice cycles hanging from them and they still work fine. One did start to leak but I replaced the O-ring and now it's fine. I have had some on my roof that get completely covered in snow each winter and keep working fine year after year. I just got a Q-See that is not doing so fine while the support guy is giving me a hard time about it being effected by weather and threatened me with it not being covered by warentee if it gets exposed to the "elements" while it didn't even get wet. So I guess it depends on the camera. I'm not too happy with Q-see right about now and don't mind spreading that around.

I've never carried or sold Q-See, don't know anything about them. Are they one of the " Edge Technology" vendors?. Intersting to hear that they would challenge you.

I'm not too happy with Q-see right about now and don't mind spreading that around.

Q-See is not about being happy, it's about getting something cheap.

I've never carried or sold Q-See, don't know anything about them. Are they one of the " Edge Technology" vendors?. Intersting to hear that they would challenge you.

I guess they are a big deal now that Sam's sells them. I think they're found in the toys section.

I guess they are a big deal now that Sam's sells them. I think they're found in the toys section.

I checked their website, they don't sell Q-See IP cameras. Lots of places sell Q-See analog products, but it was Costco that was unique in selling the IP cameras. The best is Costco Canada that sells the 1080P Q-See cameras.

I checked their website, they don't sell Q-See IP cameras. Lots of places sell Q-See analog products, but it was Costco that was unique in selling the IP cameras. The best is Costco Canada that sells the 1080P Q-See cameras.

Yes, you are right. I meant Costco and not Sams. I'm buying more and more from Amazon as they have a great return policy and never gave me the run around I got from Q-See.

I have to add my last post something I did not remember... the focus!

In those ICA-HM100 cameras temperature seems to be affecting in the focus - when you adjust it sharp in +10c, the picture is out of focus in -20c...

ICA-107 focus works well.

I have also installed one ICA-HM312 outdoor camera (good to -30c) which was out of focus as arrived. Sent it back to the dealer and they adjusted it. Well it was better but not perfect. They advised me to adjust it more myself and I managed to get it sharp in -5c or so. Now when it is warmer it's still getting out of focus.. other HM312 on same place works well...

Johannes