WildCard

Geovision starts, then "Start Server Fail!"

Hi guys,

Weird thing, one machine isn't serving data. Came in and checked, says WEB in the upper right nav area. Rebooted server and it gives me the 'Start Server Fail!" error dialog box. Then it loads as normal, with the WEB in the upper right nav area.

Browsing to the server on the local network or offsite (and even from the same system) results in page can not be displayed.

Any idea what is wrong? Everything else seems to be good, temp in system fine, the system is online (posting from it now), no firewall, etc.

XP Pro P42800 1GB ram, etc.

-WC-

No, I don't think so - but will verify.

Another oddity is that I can't remote to it via remote desktop from a computer on the same local network.

That sort of points to a firewall problem I would guess, but there is none.

-WC-

What version of Geo 7.04?

If you need other versions or the OEM of version 7.04 let me know and I can give you a link. Maybe you just got a defective version or something.

Scottj

What version of Geo 7.04?

If you need other versions or the OEM of version 7.04 let me know and I can give you a link. Maybe you just got a defective version or something.

Scottj

Thanks. This is a server that I have had active for almost a year. Atleast 6 months. It is version 7.01 I believe.

-WC-

another program is probably using port 80

telnet IP 80 and if it connects then another program is using it, probabky a trojan or worm ..

what other software is on the PC?

Remote Desktop also wont work, if it is turned off, which is what i do to all my systems.

any Instant Messanging on there?

Download Spybot S&D and do a full scan ..

or just change the port to 81 and see what you get (port forward it also if using a router)

If its anything but port 80 then ORT after the IP

Rory

another program is probably using port 80

telnet IP 80 and if it connects then another program is using it, probabky a trojan or worm ..

what other software is on the PC?

Remote Desktop also wont work, if it is turned off, which is what i do to all my systems.

any Instant Messanging on there?

Download Spybot S&D and do a full scan ..

or just change the port to 81 and see what you get (port forward it also if using a router)

If its anything but port 80 then ORT after the IP

Rory

This is a dedicated DVR system. I already have the port forwarded to port 8888 on all our systems to get around some places' preset use of port 80. Works good to do that by policy I have found. It's on an internal network and to save resources I by policy don't install AV software. I figured it would be safe behind the network's router. Damn, I hope that's not the case.

What do you guys do for AV on these systems? Just install it and consider it a necessary evil or do as I did and not install AV?

I am not on site anymore, but will go back tomorrow and run all scans. Crap, this makes me look sloppy if I allowed it to become virused..

No other software installed other than Geovision, Nero for DVD burning. No messaging, nothing. I think there's a raid admin type program that I never run, that isn't running all the time though.

-WC-

if its dedicated and you're sure noone has been browsing the web on it, then it should be okay. I dont use AV software on them myself, Spybot is a small program to check for Spyware and Trojans. Ive never had to install it on one yet either, though it is only a program that checks after the fact. Its worth a try anyway to cover all bases. For virus or worms though you would need an AV software, you could always install it then disable auto protect and take it off start up, just use it to check for problems.

Did you try reinstalling the Geo software?

Rory

Yeah, I am pretty familiar with the antivirus and antispyware arena. I kind of was hoping to keep the systems at a point where we didn't have to install those programs.

The system is in a locked small room, no browsing or logging in for that matter.

Nice idea on installing, but turning off autoprotect/startup.

And no, I haven't reinstalled the software yet, but will do if there's no obvious fix. Maybe a good reason to install whatever is the latest version.

Thanks for your help,

WC

also check run/msconfig/startup and see if anything else is starting up .. disable all and restart and try opening the Geo Server again ..

I would think the server would be pretty safe behind a hardware firewall.

You could go to the website shields up and check to see what ports are showing up as open, closed or stealthed.

It could be a damaged file that is causing the problem. It might be worth applying a software upgrade and see if that eliminates the problem.

Once you get it working you might want to put Acronis True Image on it and Image the partition with the OS and Geo on it. Then if you have any further problems up the road you can always return the system to a known operating state.

Then if returning the software to a period when it did work doesn’t solve your problem you know it isn’t related to any software.

I use Norton Anti-Virus and after it updated itself some time ago I am unable to disable it without a constant annoying message coming up on the screen telling me I am unprotected. I would prevent any of the components from even loading once you have run a scan for viruses. If you use Norton?

I don’t think it is a virus problem though. If you figure it out let us know, curious.

He is getting internet connectivity going out from the server.

Server is unable to be accessed from LAN or internet.

If this is correct it sounds like some type of router, cable or port problem?

If you decide to use a spyware program I'd avoid Spyware Doctor. I tried it but when it's running, Geo Webcam fails to start up. My DVR is not dedicated so I have to use Av software. I had problems with Norton (doesn't everybody) and Bitdefender so I now use AVG free edition which seems to run happily with Geo 6.05. SpyBot S&D is OK but Spyware Doctor found a few things that it didn't find.

just cleaning up a laptop right now for someone, S&D found 350 problems

PS. where do you get AVG from?

thanks

Rory

Yeah I have been testing Microsoft anti spyware since they bought that company.

It works well and it is free. The only issue I have with it is Microsoft will allow changes to your registry automatically without asking permission. Other time it will give you the option.

Plus I think Microsoft is spying on you with that program.

I personally always keep an eye on my processes running and always have documented what each one does. That way when a new one shows up I do a quick Google search to find out if it is harmless or a threat of some kind.

Edited by Guest

Wildcard,

Is Windows Firewall enabled on the machine?

To check go to Control Panel->Windows Firewall