buellwinkle

2 1080P IR Bullets at Costco for 349

anyone used these with a PIR yet? i am assuming that is an an alarm I/O on the pigtail. did not really pay attention when i mounted them.

ic. well there goes that idea. lol. guess i should have looked before coming back down the ladder.

Anybody have any luck getting cameras other than the little Hik minibullets working properly with the Swann or Lorex NVRs? By working properly I mean with working motion detection. Getting domes and other bullets (preferably varifocal or with replaceable lenses) would make these kit systems much more attractive. Even some of the Dahua options would be more versatile and a decent addition to the base 4 cam Hik packages.

Anybody have any luck getting cameras other than the little Hik minibullets working properly with the Swann or Lorex NVRs? By working properly I mean with working motion detection. Getting domes and other bullets (preferably varifocal or with replaceable lenses) would make these kit systems much more attractive. Even some of the Dahua options would be more versatile and a decent addition to the base 4 cam Hik packages.

If you wish to send me one I will gladly test it and send it back.

Hello,

I'm new here and would like some help with a new video surveillance system for my home.

I bought this Costco system:

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-1080p-Cameras.product.100035609.html#BVRRWidgetID

I really wanted it to work but they put very noisy fans in the DVR so I am returning it.

It looks like my best option might be a "do it yourself" system using a Windows 7 computer I already use as a media PC.

Will these Lorex 1080P cameras work with Blue Iris software?

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-HD-1080p-IndoorOutdoor-Night-Vision-2-Pack-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100043751.html

They say it will only work with a Lorex NVR... but the discussion here seems to indicate that that's not necessarily the case.

If they will work, are they a good buy for the money?

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm new here and would like some help with a new video surveillance system for my home.

I bought this Costco system:

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-1080p-Cameras.product.100035609.html#BVRRWidgetID

I really wanted it to work but they put very noisy fans in the DVR so I am returning it.

It looks like my best option might be a "do it yourself" system using a Windows 7 computer I already use as a media PC.

Will these Lorex 1080P cameras work with Blue Iris software?

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-HD-1080p-IndoorOutdoor-Night-Vision-2-Pack-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100043751.html

They say it will only work with a Lorex NVR... but the discussion here seems to indicate that that's not necessarily the case.

If they will work, are they a good buy for the money?

Thanks!

yes they will work with blue iris. im not experienced with it...maybe Q2U or one of the other guys who use it can chime in. you also may want to check the cam-it forums

It looks like my best option might be a "do it yourself" system using a Windows 7 computer I already use as a media PC...

And so begins the spending.

Sorry Zik, no extras floating around and my Axis domes are lovingly in service.

i remember seeing some where in the nvr it could be switched to onvif but for some reason i cant find it now

It looks like my best option might be a "do it yourself" system using a Windows 7 computer I already use as a media PC...

And a lot of time figuring out all this stuff... all because they put loud little fans in their DVR. But, in many ways, I hope it will be "fun".

I have not returned the DVR system yet. I think I will see if I can get the cameras to work with Blue Iris, but first need my PoE power injector to arrive from Amazon.

Yes, a POE switch, around $50, and a good WIN7 PC with Blue Iris($50).

Blue Iris made my 3 year old hobby of IP cameras a real treat and I use only a teenie bit of her capabilities.

Attached are two shots just a minute ago from my two Costco Swanns on BI. Actually a screenshot of them on BI.

Put the noisy NVR back in the box and play a little. You also can use a zillion different cameras with BI.

Pretty easy to figure out if this old space cadet can do it.

725877623_2swannsalmostdarkBlueIris.thumb.JPG.ecd6748199a659921f3d42b63c4469dd.JPG

I wish I was warned about this 1 year ago when I bought my first foscam

it took me a year and a stolen gps from my yard to get around to setting it up.

now it's like a hobby in itself constantly wanting better resolution and image quality. not to mention the want for more cams into the NVR. (it's like potatoe chips you can't just have one hahha)

My problem is I would power these cams with a server class xeon on a super micor 1u Rackmount system and a cisco 3550 providing the poe (i suppose I could use a crapgear fanless switch but MEH)...It would be great. but it would also be way noisy!

Thanks all! I'm playing with Blue Iris now and will try out the Lorex cameras as soon as I get the PoE injector.

Which bring up a PoE question.

What's a good PoE switch? I can't decide. I see the cheap 8-port TRENDnet one but am concerned about the power as it says only 30 watts for all four PoE ports. I'm guessing that's not enough for 4 of these hi-def Lorex cameras. Perhaps the TP-LINK is better? It has more power but it has a lower rating on Amazon. Or should I get a gigabit PoE switch, because I will want to link all these cameras to an 'uplink switch' with one cable (with a gigabit connection) and don't want to worry about bandwidth problems if I add more cameras... how many 1080P cameras can 100 Mbit support anyway?

Thanks all! I'm playing with Blue Iris now and will try out the Lorex cameras as soon as I get the PoE injector.

Which bring up a PoE question.

What's a good PoE switch? I can't decide. I see the cheap 8-port TRENDnet one but am concerned about the power as it says only 30 watts for all four PoE ports. I'm guessing that's not enough for 4 of these hi-def Lorex cameras. Perhaps the TP-LINK is better? It has more power but it has a lower rating on Amazon. Or should I get a gigabit PoE switch, because I will want to link all these cameras to an 'uplink switch' with one cable (with a gigabit connection) and don't want to worry about bandwidth problems if I add more cameras... how many 1080P cameras can 100 Mbit support anyway?

Prepare to spend money lots of it... if you want gigabit poe. The 100 MBit switch should be fine

People love the zyxel http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-181-163&ParentOnly=1&IsVirtualParent=1

my problem with that is that its only 4 ports that support poe, and its a piece of junk! You can pick up a Cisco 3550 for about 40.00 more, that 24 ports all of them POE and will support no matter what you throw at it and its managed (as long as you know cisco) but it will run perfectly fine in an unmanaged state, caveat... Cisco can be loud

Cisco

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0&_nkw=WS-C3550-24PWR-SMI&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Theres also a 16 port crapgear (netgear) that has 8POE ports and its power budget sucks as well. Then theres this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833425027 which will work but reviews are not favorable and the power budget is really low

All of these will work...its just a matter how much do you want to spend. The cisco is the best bang for your buck. Buy one from a vendor that gives you a 1 year warranty deal with the noise and your streets ahead of the game!

Prepare to spend money lots of it... if you want gigabit poe. The 100 MBit switch should be fine

Thanks. I'd get the Cisco if it wasn't so big and loud.

I'll pass on the gigabit for now and get a cheapie 8 porter with 4 ports PoE and see how that works out. It stinks that the cheapo TRENDnet is rated only 30 watts for 4 ports though, or I'd just get that one.

See for me I need 8 cameras anyway... So I'd be sol. Cisco switches are loud I'll give you that.

There is the sf200 line which is actually just a glorified linksys. The 14port had 12 poe ports with a power budget of 100W...they are "quieter"

As a general rule when you start getting into the 8 port plus poe territory the switches become actively cooled due to the transformers in the switch

i remember seeing some where in the nvr it could be switched to onvif but for some reason i cant find it now

I've heard mention of ONVIF support in the NVR but much of the time when ONVIF is mentioned it's not in-camera motion support. Stuff like Blue Iris on a computer connects to ONVIF 2.0 cameras but does the brute force motion detection with the computer's CPU. From what I understand low-end NVRs generally don't have that kind of horsepower to play with so they just record 24/7. That wastes storage space and gives no idea when or even if events happened. Some folks who have gotten off-brand cams connected to NVRs via ONVIF say that everything works fine but admit after being asked that there's no motion detection. No MD = crippled.

I've heard mention of ONVIF support in the NVR but much of the time when ONVIF is mentioned it's not in-camera motion support. Stuff like Blue Iris on a computer connects to ONVIF 2.0 cameras but does the brute force motion detection with the computer's CPU. From what I understand low-end NVRs generally don't have that kind of horsepower to play with so they just record 24/7. That wastes storage space and gives no idea when or even if events happened. Some folks who have gotten off-brand cams connected to NVRs via ONVIF say that everything works fine but admit after being asked that there's no motion detection. No MD = crippled.

Well we know the NVR currently supports motion with the "Swann" protocol (what ever the hell that is) So are you saying that blue iris just records 24/7 as well?

So are you saying that blue iris just records 24/7 as well?

No, it has motion detection using the CPU... at least that's how I understand it.

Ditto. Some NVRs (whether standalone like the Swann/Lorex/Dahua boxes or NVR software like Blue Iris/Avigilon/whatever) depend on motion detection signals from the camera to start recording and some just take the video stream and brute-force the motion detection to decide when to record or just display. Depending on the cams isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it means you have to pick supported cams to get motion detection. Avigilon software is good software but does absolutely NO motion detection calculations beyond listening to the cameras. Sound like crap you say? Well, it enables the computer doing the recording to handle a LOT more cameras than something Blue Iris. Avigilon handles ONVIF as well, but most cheap cameras only use ONVIF 2.0, which has no provisions for MD. Just because an NVR box does ONVIF doesn't mean it'll do motion detection with an ONVIF cam. With many things ONVIF means NO motion detection. Blue Iris is different that way because it can do the MD calculations itself, at the cost of handling fewer cams and fewer megapixels than NVR solutions that can read what the cam is telling it about MD status. Try running 50 hidef cams on Blue Iris and see what happens.

...Try running 50 hidef cams on Blue Iris and see what happens.

This is a really good point. Depending on the total megapixels being streamed, one would probably need four (4) Ivy Bridge processors to allow Blue Iris to perform motion-detection on such a large camera count. Whereas, having the cameras process the motion detection and subsequently alert the VMS application that motion had occurred would take a heap of the load off the processor(s) serving the VMS. "Heap." That's a highly technical term don't ya know?

Is BI able to work with the camera (if it supports it) to offload the motion detection to save on CPU, or does it require that it detects motion itself?