buellwinkle

2 1080P IR Bullets at Costco for 349

It's just a pointed joke. That's all.

Have you posted any video at 2048x1536? Would love to see how much better it looks than the standard 1080p

It's just a pointed joke. That's all.

Have you posted any video at 2048x1536? Would love to see how much better it looks than the standard 1080p

The problem is the camera image is still only 1080 but RESIZED via software........ It does not make it a 3mp camera.

Is that confirmed ? If so that's a big negative

The problem is the camera image is still only 1080 but RESIZED via software........ It does not make it a 3mp camera.

I'm more than a little ignorant about these matters, but I'd like to better understand your contention. If the resolution is 2048 x 1536 then isn't the image's pixel count 3,145,728? Please educate me on what your suggesting. I'd like to understand it better. Thank you.

point being what company in there right mind is going to sell a 3mp camera down graded to a 2mp at 2mp price.

2mp to 3mp needs more than just software........ it needs hardware as well

resized image. from original (which is BAD image if you think that's 3mp)

218915_1.jpg

...resized image. from original (which is BAD image if you think that's 3mp)...

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you have written here.

Think about a standard DVD player that upscales a standard DVD to 1080p.

It will not be any improvement on the image quality just 720x480 made into

1920x1080 or whatever the actual numbers are, but hopefully you get my point.

If that is what is happening with this camera of course.

Think about a standard DVD player that upscales a standard DVD to 1080p. It will not be any improvement on the image quality just 720x480 made into 1920x1080 or whatever the actual numbers are, but hopefully you get my point...

Yes, I understand this very clearly. Thank you John. I guess my question is how do we prove that "up-scaling" is what's occurring with the flashed SWNHD-820CAMs? The snapshot image I previously posted was not presented as "evidence" of 3MP functionality. Rather, it is simply the resultant file produced by the SWNHD-820CAM's "snapshot" function. I previously stated that I am ignorant, but I want to learn, and one of the things I'd like to learn is how to prove how many megapixels this flashed SWNHD-820CAM is producing at it's ("new") 2048x1536 resolution setting. The statement "...point being what company in there right mind is going to sell a 3mp camera down graded to a 2mp at 2mp price...." is not evidence; I respectfully suggest that this is conjecture, not evidence (albeit quite possibly true conjecture). What I'd like to learn is how does one measure the output of the camera? How does one know the truth?

you cant take a snapshot. The snapshot resoultion is not the same as the video res.

Take a video on the highest res with bit rate of no less than 4096 at "highest quality" @ 30fps

do the same at 24 FPS, 20 FPS and 15 FPS

The reason why for all the FPS is 24 is what roughly the human eye can see. 20 is the average that most higend systems record at. 15 is what most consumer systems record at.

Take that video and upload it some where. so we can see the image and what it reports.

Just got my cams yesterday and been playing around with them. I am just moving to an IP system so a little unfamiliar with the settings. I think that i have alot of noise in the stream. looks like a lot of pixel change when you digital zoom or in the moving bushes. what setting work for you? Bitrate, frame interval etc. BTW i did flash and am set to 2048x1536.

hi. if you click on your image I reposted then right mouse click ...... look at res its now 5mp (but its not its still only 2mp) its resized

You cannot directly resize a 2MP image at 16:9 aspect ratio to a 3MP at 4:3 by upping the pixels by 1.5x. Imagine this, the 3MP image is 2048 x 1536, meaning you would have to take the 2MP 1920x1080 image and resize it so it has a 1536 pixel height (~5MP) and then crop it to 3MP image. Sure, in Photoshop you can do this and get a reasonable quality image although not perfect, but cctv cameras are not that sophisticated and can't do this effectively in real time at 30fps. So I seriously doubt that this is going on.

This camera is advertised by Hikvision only as a 3MP camera, Swann/Lorex chose to neuter it to 1080P for marketing purposes. Can't call 3MP HDTV.

I saved the stream of my Dahua 2100 using BlueIris export as "AVI with no re-encoding" then open the file in VLC. Maybe you could try that and see what it tells you ??

218934_1.jpg

Thanks for all of this great information. It is appreciated. The original snapshot I took was made with the SWNHD-820CAM's built-in web interface snapshot utility. It was 2048x1536 resolution with a 432kb file size.

The snapshot I've posted below was produced by Blue Iris with Camera Properties > Recording > Jpeg Quality set at 100%. This snapshot is 2048x1536 resolution with a 2,000kb file size. I have NO QLUE what this means. I am still learning...

2048x1536 resolution with a 2,000kb (2,047,194 bytes) file size:

http://www.zombiesmustdie.com/img/cams/hikflash04.jpg

Now here is the same Blue Iris Snapshot but this time the camera is set at "1920x1080P" resolution and with a resultant filesize of 1,398kb...

1920x1080 resolution with a 1,398b (1,398,368 bytes) file size:

http://www.zombiesmustdie.com/img/cams/hikflash05.jpg

From these images, my uninformed and ignorant Qonclusion is that the flashed SWNHD-820CAM is producing more pixels at the 2048x1536 resolution then it is at the 2048x1536 resolution.

Please tell me why this deduction is incorrect. I want to learn.

Edited by Guest

I'm pretty sure most of us on this forum know what up-scaling means. What myself and Q2 are curious about, is if someone has CONFIRMED it's being up-scaled. Forget about the snapshots. What about the video stream ?

Edited by Guest

thats what I was saying...some one needs to take a video stream, because, the snapshot settings in the camera are different resolutions.

Heres how it looks to another kinda newbie(3 yrs ip cams) but tech not smart person.

buellwinkle makes much sense and has lots of experience in the field, as do many others here. Hikvision makes a 3 MP cam by the zillions to go all over the world. Rebrand it, do what you want, whatever. Why pop it out at full potential if you are a rebrander when even a 1.3 MP is great resolution compared to the old stuff? 2MP is a good balance, probable pretty easy to do, whatever has to be done with the firmware, and is still a big jump in quality.

Q has another excellent point even without a stream to analyze. The higher resolution setting makes a higher resolution snapshot. I am a bit confused on the difference in the FOV between the two shots. Was the camera moved at all? Only the resolution changed on settings? Looks to me they have squeezed the FOV on the higher MP resolution setting? Why would the FOV change between the two settings?

I wonder what a 2 MP shot from the SWANN firmware cam would look like compared to the 2 MP with the Hikvision software?

This is getting interesting..................

... I am a bit confused on the difference in the FOV between the two shots. Was the camera moved at all? Only the resolution changed on settings? Looks to me they have squeezed the FOV on the higher MP resolution setting? Why would the FOV change between the two settings?...

FYI: No, the camera was not moved one millimeter: it is mounted to the wall in a locked closet and it has not been touched. This may have to do with the 4:3 format versus 16:9" Buellwinkle would know.

thats what I was saying...some one needs to take a video stream, because, the snapshot settings in the camera are different resolutions.

Well, that's what I was thinking when I used VLC to give me the info on the video.

Well, that's what I was thinking when I used VLC to give me the info on the video.

Sorry STtickman, I'm a tad confused: which video did you inspect that resulted in the reported 1280x960 resolution? Was this video from a Swann SWNHD-820CAM which had been flashed with the Hikvision firmware?

Those stills look resampled. There's some kind of tomfoolery going on here, and Hikvision's got some 'splainin to do.

If you display both full size in browser windows and adjust them so that the same thing is in the center, then switch back and forth between windows, you get a zoom effect.

If it was just pulling more pixels from the sensor, the items in the shots would both be the same size, just with more pixels on the sides.

Also, the 1080p is 1920x1080, while the 3MP 2048x1536, so the 3MP should have 7% more image to the right and left, but it's actually got less image! It does have more vertical pixels.

Looks to me like they have a sensor that isn't actually either one of these resolutions and they're using software to show the resolution people expect to see.

ETA: Q, try this: Go to whatever the next 4:3 resolution is, assuming the camera offers it, and see if you get the same field of view. Alternately, try each resolution until you get the same horizontal view as the bogus 3MP, then post what that resolution is.

This must be a 3MP sensor at least, since the maximum horizontal pixels (at 1080p) should be correct, while at 3MP it shows more pixels than 1080p, and it looks about right for 1500-ish pixels. Updated: If they're scaling it in software, all bets are off.

Curiouser and curiouser...

OK, one more data point before I move on (yes, I get obsessed on technology and data):

On the 3MP shot, the down-arrow key on the keyboard is 17 pixels across. On the 1080P shot, it's 14 pixels across, which is why you get the zoom effect between shots.

They're scaling it somewhere; the question is, where? Heck, maybe this is their 720P camera with a software tweak to scale it to 1080p!

Edited by Guest

Does the Hikvision web interface have a snapshot button? I like to use a camera's web interface for snapshots, to minimize the chance that the NVR software is doing something with the image.

Nevermind, I see from an earlier post that you did capture from the web page. As long as those stills are the same resolution as the BI stills, they should be comparable.

Edited by Guest

For like the 10,000th time.

The camera max snapshot / image capture resolution is not 3MP, its some other funky res.

You must do your testing from the VIDEO SIDE. Like I said earilier set the camera to the highest res with quality to highest and a bit rate of 4096 or 6144 @ 30 fps @25 FPS and 15FPS take a video using ivms or the camera directly.