zikronix

Missed the swann system at costco This Lorex is coming

and cant use any other IP camera with either which limits the system. so not upgradable either.

That may not be true...on the swann you can use onvif

Here we go. Same camera as the Swann? Same price, 2 fer $350 Lorex brand.....http://www.costco.com/Lorex-HD-1080p-IndoorOutdoor-Night-Vision-2-Pack-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100043751.html

Product page includes this statement. Yes!

"Note: These NVR IP cameras will only work with NVR (Network Video Recorder) systems that are ONVIF compliant. If using a different brand ONVIF compliant camera with a different brand ONVIF compliant recorder they may not be “Plug-n-Play” and some configuration may be needed at setup."

Edited by Guest

New member here.

Just bought 2 systems (The Lorex ones) with 8 extra cameras. (we have 2 sites to watch)

Thanks for all of the Great Info everyone!

Just purchased a full Lorex system (8 cam's) after missing the Swann deal. Appreciate all the info and contributions to these threads. Good stuff!

Here we go. Same camera as the Swann? Same price, 2 fer $350 Lorex brand.....http://www.costco.com/Lorex-HD-1080p-IndoorOutdoor-Night-Vision-2-Pack-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100043751.html

Product page includes this statement. Yes!

"Note: These NVR IP cameras will only work with NVR (Network Video Recorder) systems that are ONVIF compliant. If using a different brand ONVIF compliant camera with a different brand ONVIF compliant recorder they may not be “Plug-n-Play” and some configuration may be needed at setup."

Got 2 more...thanks for the head's up bro. " title="Applause" />

Damn Q! I thought you had a budget to watch!

Ha! how quick money plans change in this wonderful hobby!

I'll be looking for the reviews of the Lorex version as a stand alone with other "NVR" options like BI.

Damn Q! I thought you had a budget to watch!

Ha! how quick money plans change in this wonderful hobby!

I'll be looking for the reviews of the Lorex version as a stand alone with other "NVR" options like BI.

#$%%!$ the budget! More cameras! More servers! More! More! More!

Y'all are going to buy this one out before I even get my questions answered, just like the Swann deal...

FWIW I emailed Swann several weeks ago, and never received a response.

I emailed Lorex this AM re: external alarm input and future PTZ possibilities. So far, just a robo-response, but it's only been a few hours.

We might extrapolate that Swann was sour if they are losing the distribution of this thing to Lorex, and disdained to answer further questions on it, but I am not sure that's the case (even if understandable).

Anyway, as a supplier it's understandable if Lorex or others choose not to support certain features. It doesn't mean they aren't in there . Nobody wants to support third-party stuff that's been cobbled into their product, especially when they're essentially distributors rather than the actual manufacturer. No harm in asking and it's a good test of their response.

I should just order the dang thing but I was thinking alarm input in particular was a handy feature in a security recorder?

FWIW, I've had excellent support from Swann. The evening hours are best since E coast folks are in bed and they often reply within just a few minutes.

I rarely wait more than one minute when calling Swann. . Good luck with LOREX!!!

Does Lorex actually update their devices or is it another company like Qsee does with the oem company supplier?

Lorex, Swann, and QSee are all re-branders. None of them make the gear or develop the software. They all buy from the OEM and have it labeled, sometimes with minor tweaks to the software.

If one of them has several different 1080p cameras available, there's no guarantee they'd all be made by Hikvision (or whoever). One could be sourced from Hik, one from Dahua, etc. This is how they ran their analog businesses, too.

Really, this boils down to which one provides better service. It sounds like QSee and Swann are beating out Lorex here, but let's see how the feedback comes in.

I updated the first post with pros and cons...and a link to the cameras and systems.

Thanks! Very helpful.

Is anyone else concerned that someone could make off with the whole NVR unit and you'd be SOL?

I updated the first post with pros and cons...and a link to the cameras and systems.

Thanks! Very helpful.

Is anyone else concerned that someone could make off with the whole NVR unit and you'd be SOL?

I'm curious, can you hook up two NVRs to single cameras? So that the motion alarm is captured by both of them?

Right now we can do that by having the camera upload to a 2nd NAS device via FTP.

I'm curious, can you hook up two NVRs to single cameras? So that the motion alarm is captured by both of them?

Right now we can do that by having the camera upload to a 2nd NAS device via FTP.

I also do that...and mine is also in a LOCK BOX BOLTED TO THE WALL!

If the NVR could upload via FTP on motion detection I'd be sold.

But the reality is a lock box won't stop someone with a crowbar or decent hammer, at best it slows them down.

lorex's NVR box doesn't have alarm input... deal breaker for me.

Ditto

I'm still new to all this, what exactly does having an alarm input get you?

When I think alarm, I think alerts (email/texting) but I presume it can set off an actual alarm?

I am going to stick with the Swann system. I dont like the fact that Lorex does not support 30 FPS on all 8 channels. Plus I like the three year warranty. Swann's support has been pretty good also.

lorex's NVR box doesn't have alarm input... deal breaker for me.

Ditto

I'm still new to all this, what exactly does having an alarm input get you?

When I think alarm, I think alerts (email/texting) but I presume it can set off an actual alarm?

You can hook alarm input (PIR sensor, door/window sensor) to this input. The sensor can be either Normally-Open or Normally-Close. Based on the settings on this one, you can trigger many actions like start recording, sending email, PTZ patrol, PTZ preset, siren output.

And there is one recording option : motion AND alarm. With this option, I can let the NVR record only when alarm system is armed, and not record when I'm at home (disarmed).

Thanks! Very helpful.

I think the last page or the one before this was answered when I mentioned "Mirror Recording"

Basically, You have an Additional Hard Drive, ( External ) and you hook it up to the nvr. Everything is recorded to Both Hard Drives so you

have a back up. Or incase one is stolen. The backup could be in just the next room, Hidden or something. Just an idea.

Once a thief see's the wire going into the wall, he's not going to tear the entire wall down tracing that wire... For all they know it's

just to a camera.... (Maybe I'm mistaken but that is how I took the "mirror Recording" as.

I received an answer to my queries from Lorex:

(1) No, it (the RS485 or any other alarm input) is not compatible, alarms cannot be connected. (2) Currently there are no plans for an IP NETWORK PTZ type camera for this system.

So that takes care of that.

I received an answer to my queries from Lorex:

(1) No, it (the RS485 or any other alarm input) is not compatible, alarms cannot be connected. (2) Currently there are no plans for an IP NETWORK PTZ type camera for this system.

So that takes care of that.

Added to the first post