And what about in-camera motion detection vs. video stream motion detection (is video analytics the correct terminology??) ... did that have any influence on your choice? You've done a couple of reviews on the mini-bullet Hik and the re-branded Hik from Costco/Swann...did you play around with the in-camera motion detection? It seems like the Hik dynamic motion analysis option really puts the MD into hyperdrive. I think I have the in-camera MD pretty close to where it should be with Avigilon, and XProtect seems to be easier to tweak the MD settings.

BTW, the Hik in-camera pre- and post-record settings do indeed work with Avigilon, although the light blue (record) and red (event record) in Avigilon don't accurately reflect those settings. I have them set at 10sec/10sec right now, and Avigilon displays 5/5 no matter what I set the Hik at, but the recorded video is correct.

For the Dahua and Hikvision, it detects them as ONVIF and motion detection is done by the XProtect software. This does not materially impact CPU use. Currently I have 7 cameras (8th was moved, but will replaced soon), 4 are ACTi and use in camera motion detect, 2 are 3MP and 2 are older 1.3MP. 3 are Dahua and use XProtect motion detection, 1 3MP, 1 2MP, 1 1.3MP.

I was using a Hikvision 3MP 12mm bullet for a few weeks with XProtect, but I moved it to our weekend home and I ordered a replacement, but my daughter sold them out from under me, LOL, so I'll get those on the next shipment.

I actually did install and play with Avigilon and I ended up choosing Milestone over it for a couple of key reasons;

1. The mobile apps for Milestone are in an entire other league than other vendors. I can review video while watching live video for any of my cameras. I can leave the application up on an Android tablet and it will stay up for days and days with my camera views up to date without me having to restart the app or "wake" the tablet.

2. Avigilon does not support Mac or a basic browser interface for non MS browsers. At the end of the day this was the deal breaker. I can understand a small software company not having the resources to develop interfaces for several OSs, but it is inexcusable in my opinion to build a web client that ONLY supports IE, which is the crappiest browser in existence (or, as we joke about in the technical community, a browser you use to install a real browser on a Windows PC).

It was pointed out to me that I should/could run a virtual machine with VMWare or Parallels and use that to run the Avigilon software. That's a non starter for me. While I have several VMs on my Mac(s) I don't find it acceptable that I have to launch or access a VM just to quickly check my cameras when the doorbell rings.

I live in a very low crime neighborhood. The only things I've gotten on camera were minor acts of vandalism such as normal teenage prank nonsense (toilet paper, etc). I don't want the security system waking me up all hours of the night when people are on our street because people are ALWAYS driving up and down our street even late at night (we are on the corner of a sub-division with dozens of homes and many teenagers).

The reason I have a system is to keep an eye on things when I'm away from home and to keep an eye on the many people in and out of our house during the week (dog sitters, house keepers, contractors, etc)... I also work from home a fair amount and I am constantly annoyed when I'm working on a project, the doorbell rings and it's the local bible thumping club trying to indoctrinate me.

For me the security system is as much a hobby as it is a burglar deterrent or evidence collection system.

I also agree with Buell's comment regarding difficulty of setting Milestone up. It is more difficult than it needs to be and things they do differently like motion detection left me flustered for a while.

Now that it's set up and working though I almost never touch it... which is more than I can say for other security packages I've put through their paces.

Hello everyone,

I'm leaving on a trip soon and have my cctv setup mostly completed. My question is there any way to have the mobile server restart automatically when the pc boots up? It loads but will be stopped and not working. I added the dns updater to the start menu and everything else seems to be working good but I'm stuck here.

thanks

I assume that you asked about the XProtect. When you install the software, the Mobile Service should be installed automatically.

Check the Services - make sure they all set to Automatic:

Then,

Hope these help.

1215889720_TaskManager.jpg.b7a97ac9a415e2b5036d716865c847ee.jpg

Services.jpg.fbda4bc91dd0a1edaa566b609635998f.jpg

Milestone Mobile has always started for me automatically. Perhaps you have some other issue preventing the service from automatically starting up.

I downloaded the trial version but it didn't even pick up my camera: Vivotek SD8362e.

Emailed the supplier and can't even get help from them.

Did you download and install the latest Device Pack V7.1? You can also manually search for your cameras by putting in the IP address and XProtect will do the rest.

I rarely have it automatically find my cameras, and it may be me, but I just enter the IP address, username and PW of the camera and it's always figured it out. But I agree on the Device Pack, should be current.

As for support, not really there for the GO version, but I get excellent support for my pay version. There is a support forum that's helped me out before.

Alright so I'm going to chime in here and see if I can get some help.

I only have 3 cameras installed.

The Issue I have is one of my cameras on live view show "Stopped"

But I have checked the schedules on all cameras and it shows all on. I even tried reverting back to an old date and it didn't help.

I guess I wouldn't mind having to uninstall and reinstall the software and license but if I can't fix this issue I'll have to do that.

I rarely have it automatically find my cameras, and it may be me, but I just enter the IP address, username and PW of the camera and it's always figured it out. But I agree on the Device Pack, should be current.

As for support, not really there for the GO version, but I get excellent support for my pay version. There is a support forum that's helped me out before.

8 Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I.

Updated device pack to 7.1 and is supposed to be supported.

1. Not found in drop down list.
  2. Auto detect - failed
  3. Manual input with ONVIF - connects, accepts camera add, but fails to connect ever again.
  4. Auto detect with an IP range with ONVIF, hikvision, and Universal drivers selected - works...

Then I get to the live view and 5 out of 8 cameras fail to connect again. The three that connected work like they should. 4 out of 8 show advanced camera settings so something screwy is going on with the device drivers.

No firewall, user/pass, router, switch, network, PoE, etc, etc issues. Same exact camera firmware/etc. Feels like third-party cameras were just tacked on to charge for camera licenses.

2. Auto detect - failed
  3. Manual input with ONVIF - connects, accepts camera add, but fails to connect ever again.
  4. Auto detect with an IP range with ONVIF, hikvision, and Universal drivers selected - works...

Then I get to the live view and 5 out of 8 cameras fail to connect again. The three that connected work like they should. 4 out of 8 show advanced camera settings so something screwy is going on with the device drivers.

No firewall, user/pass, router, switch, network, PoE, etc, etc issues. Same exact camera firmware/etc. Feels like third-party cameras were just tacked on to charge for camera licenses.

Now just for your fun

Download Avigilon demo

you will be running in about 5-7 min

with auto discovery

2. Auto detect - failed

Now just for your fun

Download Avigilon demo

you will be running in about 5-7 min

with auto discovery

I see no demo available.

Regardless, $50(+?)/camera license is too rich for a small personal/residential that doesn't require any advanced features. I will admit the UI of avigilon looks much better from the videos though.

If you have the latest version and device pack, try deleting the camera and add it like new. This will pickup the latest driver for it.

Awesome that worked, thank you.

And there must be an issue because with Xprotect go it had no issue picking up my 3 Hik's and after I set a few motion detect settings

it's been working great.

I haven't gotten into the online server so I can see it on my cell phone or anything yet but hope too soon.

Checked out Avigilon. Worked much better but the insane camera pricing killed any thoughts of using it.

======

Fixed my issues:

Auto driver search (hikvision, universal, onvif selected) within an IP range:

3 - used the Universal driver port 80

5 - used the ONVIF driver port 8000

Auto search with only onvif driver selected within an IP range:

8 - found and running correctly; all advanced camera settings found

I'm a convert now and will likely use this. Very light on i7 with <15% recording all cameras.

Anyone know about licensing xprotect GO? I know it lasts one year. Can I pay extra for a 3 year license?

I see no demo available.

Regardless, $50(+?)/camera license is too rich for a small personal/residential that doesn't require any advanced features. I will admit the UI of avigilon looks much better from the videos though.

$50 license per camera is very reasonable for good quality software that has support. Then again I get annoyed when I see people asking for high quality day/night exterior dome cameras that cost $35-$50.

I see no demo available.

$50 license per camera is very reasonable for good quality software that has support. Then again I get annoyed when I see people asking for high quality day/night exterior dome cameras that cost $35-$50.

For a business or a person who does paid installs? $50 camera license is a steal.

For a small home/personal use? That's a lot but could be very worth it to some.

You can look at this forum how price conscience everyone has become. $400+ IP camera or flashed/purposed Costco IP camera or $125 IP camera from China's ebay.

Offering a cheaper/free/"GO" version that is crippled doesn't hurt sales. I'll now recommend xprotect when people ask me about IP cameras.

To me it was a financial decision, buy a new PC to handle low cost software, i7, cost about $700 for the low end. Or pay $392 for $49 license and run on old computer, no brainer. But each case is different. I figure hardware comes and goes, software license I can run on current and future PCs. The GO version is awesome, especially for free.

$700 for an i7 ? I don't know where you buy your computer parts, but you might want to look elsewhere. LOL

To me it was a financial decision, buy a new PC to handle low cost software, i7, cost about $700 for the low end. Or pay $392 for $49 license and run on old computer, no brainer. But each case is different. I figure hardware comes and goes, software license I can run on current and future PCs. The GO version is awesome, especially for free.

I have X-Protect Go installed in a Windows PC and all works fine. I tried to install it in a Windows 8 machine and the mobile server fails to start, it says something about the credentials not being right. Any suggestion?