deman_3000

Newbie camera installation questions.

Hi all!

I've never installed a security camera system, but I've done some homework and believe it's fairly simple. I only plan on installing a 8 camera system at my one-story home.

Here is the deal and questions I have.... My home has a large walk-in closet about dead center. The alarm system is also installed in that closet. The family room, kitchen and breakfast room are all open (one big room) and the backside wall of the closet faces into them. I would like to install the DVR in that closet, but I want to mount a small led screen on the wall outside the closet so it can be seen from where we spend most of our time.

So, not knowing how the systems work.... Can I control the DVR from the other room where I can see the screen??

Hi all!

I've never installed a security camera system, but I've done some homework and believe it's fairly simple. I only plan on installing a 8 camera system at my one-story home.

Here is the deal and questions I have.... My home has a large walk-in closet about dead center. The alarm system is also installed in that closet. The family room, kitchen and breakfast room are all open (one big room) and the backside wall of the closet faces into them. I would like to install the DVR in that closet, but I want to mount a small led screen on the wall outside the closet so it can be seen from where we spend most of our time.

So, not knowing how the systems work.... Can I control the DVR from the other room where I can see the screen??

Having said you believe it's fairly simple you then ask a question like that. Generally speaking most DVRs are remotely controllable via IR ( like your TV) s that will be your problem. There used to be a few brands that had a hardwired remote control panel but I suspect that wouldn't be suitable either. Many people make the mistake of mounting the DVR in one spot & the screen (for viewing purposes) in another spot. When the time comes to view particular footage you really need the DVR & screen co located

Hi all!

Yes that's not a problem .... Only thing to look out for is DVR to monitor connection. Some DVRs only have screen control via the VGA or HDMI and not from the composite output.

A good make Bluetooth mouse will give you 35ft range to control your system with.

On DVR's that have "mouse" contol, just run a USB extension cable to the area where the TV is. Also, run a video cable from the rear of the DVR to the Video (Yellow) jack on the TV for DVR monitoring. When you want to run the DVR remotely in this fashion, just select the proper video input on your TV remote control. Easy. Do it all the time on my CCTV installs.

On DVR's that have "mouse" contol, just run a USB extension cable to the area where the TV is. Also, run a video cable from the rear of the DVR to the Video (Yellow) jack on the TV for DVR monitoring. When you want to run the DVR remotely in this fashion, just select the proper video input on your TV remote control. Easy. Do it all the time on my CCTV installs.

Your customers must hate you if your dvr is capable of hdmi out, which almost every cheap analog dvr is, or even vga, and your connecting your dvr with one of the lowest means of video resolution! I used the yellow RCA in the 1980's! LMFAO!

I'm sorry, but I can't stop laughing!! Someone out there STILL uses the yellow RCA!! LMFAO!! Do you still use CRT monitors? Omg! Lol!

LMFAO!! Omg![/quote]Could you explain those abbreviations.
Laughing My F***ing Ass Off

O my God

I hope you got the point that respect goes a long way. While there are things I know a lot more about than you there are things I have no clue about and I am sure the same goes for everyone.

Hi all!

Yes that's not a problem .... Only thing to look out for is DVR to monitor connection. Some DVRs only have screen control via the VGA or HDMI and not from the composite output.

A good make Bluetooth mouse will give you 35ft range to control your system with.

Good point Tom. In my last install, the DVR was mounted in a lock box, about 50' from the users desk. We simply ran a 10' USB cable from the DVR to a discreet place in the main office and plugged a wireless mouse transceiver into it. Works like a charm.