ak_camguy

Why would anyone go with an analog camera system these days?

I work in IT and I have been wanting a CCTV system, but have been waiting for IP Camera's for quite some time... Now that they are reasonably affordable and much better picture quality for the $$ you spend, why would someone justify spending money on an analog system over digital? Is it purely cost?

I guess I am curious because I honestly don't understand...

I have yet to find an analog camera that gives good enough clarity of someone to help identify them if needed. I have a couple friends who still use analog systems in their business and to be honest, I don't think they would actually be able to convict anyone unless they were caught in the act and the police arrested them on site.

Here is an example of a cheap system that a few people around town run....

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-Full-D1-Real-Time-Security-System-with-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-4-High-Resolution-Cameras.product.100028117.html

Some people honestly can't understand the difference in quality. They seem to think that if they have someone recorded there's no difference. Tons of systems out there with 8 cams and a recorder for $500 or less so they must be good, right? I just cringe when I see analog cctv footage on TV of people that the police are looking for. They can be ten or 15 feet away in good lighting and face shots can still be terrible. It can still be used to recognize people and record what they've done, but why not make the recording an order of magnitude better for a few extra bucks? I feel sorry (well, almost) for people that put in the cheapest system they can find and then end up with unusable footage when they need it the most.

Analog has been around for years .......70 years last month.

So did it's job then no reason why it still can't do its job

And dahua are just about to release a full new analog range.

" title="Applause" /> My biggest fan.

Define 'reasonable' cost. Most people still see it as more expensive, which it is if you do it right. You can do IP/MP wrong too- cheaper, but wrong.

I am seeing analog cameras even more expensive than IP cameras these days. Between Dahua and HIKvision, it's hard to give a reason to go with analog.

If you don't want an IP system to bog down your internet, than don't put it on the network. Just give everything a static, and your set. With resolution limits on analog, I just don't see a reason for it any longer. As for Tom's comment, well, Tube TV's have been around for decades and have done the job, but

if you go to the TV store, are you buying a flat screen or a tube TV? Flip phones with no screen have done the job for years, would you purchase a flip phone as of today? Cars with Carburators have done the job for years, but would you buy one or one with fuel injection today? Should I go on?

I just don't see a reason for it any longer. As for Tom's comment, well

so analog at 1920×1080 and coax limit of 500m is a waste of time ???

if you go to the TV store, are you buying a flat screen or a tube TV? Flip phones with no screen have done the job for years, would you purchase a flip phone as of today? Cars with Carburators have done the job for years, but would you buy one or one with fuel injection today? Should I go on?

the answer still is ........ its done its job for years so it still does its job. yes there are other formats but they can all still do the job of being a CCTV system.

H.264 BP/MP/HP Level 5.0

MJPEG

Up to 4 simultaneous streams

Up to 14MP resolution

spec above .........does that mean hikvision 2 or 3mp are to old to use out of date cant do the job ???

I am seeing analog cameras even more expensive than IP cameras these days.
That doesn't mean much. You're comparing the high end of one product to the low end of another.

If you don't want an IP system to bog down your internet, than don't put it on the network. Just give everything a static, and your set.
Huh? What difference does that make?

Analog is easier, just connect and it works, no camera programing, no worrying about network issues and you can mix/match cameras without worrying if it's compatible or not. Also, when you don't know better, a camera is a camera. Heck, there are people out there that would buy analog TV's if they still could and buy flip phones if they still could. There are plenty of people that shop on eBay, get the least expensive network camera they can find and are happy with the image quality since they have nothing to compare it to.

It's like a hobby you don't know anything about, say remote control helicopters. I don't know anything about them, so I was tempted by a $19.99 helicopter I can easily get flying (and crashing). But there are RC hobbyist that spend thousands on their helicopters and radios and laugh at those with $20 helicopters. But to me, not knowing better, the $20 helicopter is as good as it gets as I don't have a frame of reference to what better is.

If I had to deal with only IP systems, I would quit. With the number of customers that I have installed systems for, if they were IP systems and had to keep them running, I would be in a mental hospital. Now, if you're a dealer and sell the systems with the understanding that once they're installed, you are no longer responsible, then ok. But, as a dealer that promises my customers that I will be available to service any issues they have as long as I am in business, I will stay with analog. I can not remember a time that analog has failed any of my customers with issues of theft, fraud of criminal mischief in being able to determine who it was by their video's. Now I suppose if a dealer or the consumer installs the camera's in the wrong manner, then I can understand the problem. I have been acquainted with electronics since I was 14 years old and am now 71. That said there have always been the "geeks" who seem to have to have the newest things out. In my area, they are also the one's who are constantly burning up my phone asking for help with their "new and better" equipment. My advise to them is to call the place where they purchased their "new and better" equipment to get help. Any one who is a dealer with a store front phone know what the common answer is. There was a comment in regarding phones. I still use a "flip phone", because it works. Never have to worry about the newest app's and learning the latest phone operations. I have a son, who has a new phone every time technology changes. The same comments that I hear are always the same. "Wish that I could figure this thing out". What a crock! I have had a few of my customers ask me if I could upgrade them to the new HD systems and I say sure, just upgrade your bandwidth from your ISP first and then after the install, I will not be responsible for connection issues. I have also had a few ask that if they purchase one on the internet, will I help install it. Absolutely not!!! No way, no how! Tried it once. Junk system, didn't work and they wouldn't pay me for my time.

If I had to deal with only IP systems, I would quit. With the number of customers that I have installed systems for, if they were IP systems and had to keep them running, I would be in a mental hospital. Now, if you're a dealer and sell the systems with the understanding that once they're installed, you are no longer responsible, then ok. But, as a dealer that promises my customers that I will be available to service any issues they have as long as I am in business, I will stay with analog. I can not remember a time that analog has failed any of my customers with issues of theft, fraud of criminal mischief in being able to determine who it was by their video's. Now I suppose if a dealer or the consumer installs the camera's in the wrong manner, then I can understand the problem. I have been acquainted with electronics since I was 14 years old and am now 71. That said there have always been the "geeks" who seem to have to have the newest things out. In my area, they are also the one's who are constantly burning up my phone asking for help with their "new and better" equipment. My advise to them is to call the place where they purchased their "new and better" equipment to get help. Any one who is a dealer with a store front phone know what the common answer is. There was a comment in regarding phones. I still use a "flip phone", because it works. Never have to worry about the newest app's and learning the latest phone operations. I have a son, who has a new phone every time technology changes. The same comments that I hear are always the same. "Wish that I could figure this thing out". What a crock! I have had a few of my customers ask me if I could upgrade them to the new HD systems and I say sure, just upgrade your bandwidth from your ISP first and then after the install, I will not be responsible for connection issues. I have also had a few ask that if they purchase one on the internet, will I help install it. Absolutely not!!! No way, no how! Tried it once. Junk system, didn't work and they wouldn't pay me for my time.

There is no reason to increase the customers bandwidth with an ip system. Bandwidth is only an issue for remote streaming and can be set to a reduced rate on the NVR. Analog has serious image limitations..yes when someone is close to the cam its ok, but how many times have the authorities not been able to identify a suspect because the image was too grainy...a properly installed ip system will run without a hitch.

On this subject, I say to each their own. I've installed analog systems that look amazing and have 'done it's job'. But ever since I've been

installing IP, every reaction I get is WOW. And that person who said WOW has told all of their friends and my phone has been off the hook.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I've worked full time for a few companies in the past 25 years. I install burg systems and cctv systems

for the company I work for. Every company I work for installs analog. We usually do a full blown cctv system every 2-4 weeks. I personally

started installing IP systems alittle over a year now on my weekends. Since I have started, I have done at least one job per weekend for a

year now. Some weekends I've done a job on saturday and one on sunday. I'd say that this WOW factor has a nice ripple affect compared

to something that has just 'done the job'. But like I said, to each their own. If your happy with analog, and you get a lot of work out

of it, more power to you. Installing analog systems has never gotten me as many jobs as IP systems has. And yes, I agree that analog

is easier to install, easier to maintain, etc. But knock on wood, so far, I have not once had any issues with any of the IP systems I've installed

so far. The only issues that has occurred are typical things that would have happened to an analog system as well, such as the home

owner changing their ISP, or they had construction to their house and need a camera moved.

Sounds like you need to look at a different IP video solution. Any of your customers that want to upgrade to HD and you don't want to handle it send them my way

I don't like to get into "opinion" posts, but,,,,,,,,,,,,I guarantee that if my customers have an issue with their system, that I will be at their location within an hour. That is 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. When the police receive an alarm call at any of my customers, they call me and I meet them at the location. If you can guarantee that with my customers, I'll tell them to call you!

I don't like to get into "opinion" posts, but,,,,,,,,,,,,I guarantee that if my customers have an issue with their system, that I will be at their location within an hour. That is 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. When the police receive an alarm call at any of my customers, they call me and I meet them at the location. If you can guarantee that with my customers, I'll tell them to call you!

I have a customer with north of 400 IP cameras and 13 servers. They have a 2 hour response 24/7. This will not be a problem. I have been doing IP cameras for 6 years and our solution is extremely reliable with no more issues then we have had with analog systems.

I will make one more response, then I'm gone. I'm in Indiana and you're in Pennsylvania? No way that you can be here in 2 hours, unless you have your own aircraft and landing privileges here. Signing out of this thread.

Ip cameras are more confusing, it requires fast computer to view and record & it slows your internal network down

also what if i buy a dedicated micros nvr then i can't use a hikvision camera unless its supported, doubt it

also more expensive because it requires a nvr or hybrid dvr and a poe injector or poe switch

analog: plug any brand of camera into your dvr from any brand and bingo it works you might have to change things like wdr and agc but no problems with networking, compatibility (unless you're using ptz) or any fps problems from an overloaded network switch

Conclusion

buy a hd-sdi system same video quality as ip & same ease of use & compatibility of analog but none of that network crap

Ip cameras are more confusing, it requires fast computer to view and record & it slows your internal network down

also what if i buy a dedicated micros nvr then i can't use a hikvision camera unless its supported, doubt it

also more expensive because it requires a nvr or hybrid dvr and a poe injector or poe switch

analog: plug any brand of camera into your dvr from any brand and bingo it works you might have to change things like wdr and agc but no problems with networking, compatibility (unless you're using ptz) or any fps problems from an overloaded network switch

Conclusion

buy a hd-sdi system same video quality as ip & same ease of use & compatibility of analog but none of that network crap

You guys like to make mountains out of mole hills. IP cameras are not that difficult if you take the time to learn

Edited by Guest

dedicated network would just be the same as if you wired a analog system (point A to point B)

I have had a few of my customers ask me if I could upgrade them to the new HD systems and I say sure, just upgrade your bandwidth from your ISP first and then after the install, I will not be responsible for connection issues

ISP is not needed for IP. its the same point A point B just the same as coax.

You guys like to make mountains out of mole hills. IP cameras are no that difficult if you take the time to learn

Speaking of hard-core dyed-in-the-wool analog guys, where has Rory been lately?

Although my first-ever CCTV camera was analog, once I tried IP cameras I never looked back. One reason is the ease of installation. Most of my IP cameras connect with one single cat5e cable. Cat5e has a smaller diameter than siamese, which means smaller holes to drill and easier to route through the woodwork. It also means one wire from my PoE switch in the garage back to my server room - a wire that I already had in place for my home LAN. I currently have 9 cameras and can't imagine snakling 9 pairs of Siamese cable in retrofit fashion through This Old House - that would be a nightmare!

The other big reason to avoid analog is the interlacing, which is a major PITA when objects move across the frame. Progressive scan rules!

If you notice, the guys that are voting for analog are guys that do not know how to install IP systems. Or they have tried it once and was not successful.

If you know how to install them, they are extremely easy. One guy even said you need a POE switch. Well, do analog cameras need power supplies or

do they get power from the heavens up above? One guy said you need an expensive NVR. Well, why don't you call your distributor and as them how

much a 16 channel DVR costs than ask how much a 16 channel NVR. I know I can buy a 16 channel NVR for less than a DVR! And lastly, what does it matter between analog or IP if you can get to your customer within 2 hours of when they called? Why would you even bring that up?

Old school surveillance guys just don't understand IP cameras. It's like asking your mom and dad to setup a network of 200 devices. Unless they are already technical, reading books and articles is overwhelming. They are learning surveillance all over again. I'm in the process of converting 600 analog cameras to IP and doing it all by myself for the most part. The old school guys are good at running cables, so that's a huge plus.

But yeah, you still see analog kits at Costco/Sams and I just shake my head.

Yeah, I guess I assumed with technology today most people understood how to plug in a network cable and type in an IP address to get to a camera and from there figure out the rest. I am a Server Engineer, so its obviously the only route to go for a techie. But seriously, a 16yr old kid could figure it out.

Especially with google available these days, I don't see the excuse not to own one unless you already own an analog system and are waiting for the rate of return on your analog system before purchasing digital.

Especially considering you can add as many camera's as you wish with Blue Iris and a NAS device. It becomes really affordable for the quality you get and the expand-ability further down the road.

I own 1 analog camera and I immediately purchased 2 digital IP camera's after seeing the quality of the POS analog feed. I see many more digital camera's in my future.

What a funny thread to read!

Doing technical support in surveillance system has taught me that no matter whats the system, there are issues. Granted, less on the analogs than on IP, but thats because all the new installs are IP, and if old analog has problems, nobody bothers spending money on troubleshooting and buys a new IP-system instead.

Mostly problems on IP are caused by cheap systems or systems that are built on an existing network that handles other devices aswell, or just someone installing who is inexperienced with IP-system.

For me, if i was to install a new system, it would definately be IP system with server-grade hardware and a VMS. I might consider analog for a system that only has PTZ-cameras and does not require as high image quality, because analog RS-485 PTZ still works better than any network PTZ.