AdamDaze

Hikvision EXIR turret (new?). 3pm, cheap, no ir bleed.

....so why isn't this place crawling with reviews on it?

2CD2332 aka DS-2CD3312D-I for the "chinese" version, seems it's also available in 1.3mp and analogue versions.

I'm getting prices around the $180 per cam mark, and its got a 2.8mm available. Seems it blows any other dome out the water, so why can't I find stuff all reviews or people using it? Is it new?

As seen at http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=295

I just installed one (4mm). I compared it to the Hikvision 3mp bullets that everybody uses (I have a few I'm trying at the moment - can't remember the model) and I think this cam is essentially the same thing using the turret design. I noticed a very slight increase in IR range to my eye, and maybe a little less ir washout in close-to-cam subjects, but I'd call image quality VERY comparable, if not identical. Same features best I can tell - didn't notice anything different in the menus.

One thing to note, and that is the IR is very visible to the eye - looks like a fairly bright LED power light. It may be no brighter than the bullet IR when you look straight at it, but its in a much smaller area (less than 1 square inch), and the bullet etc... has the LEDs spread out over maybe 3X that much space (or more) so it doesn't grab your attention like this camera does. That may be a good thing, depending on how stealthy you want to be, but just a note. I was surprised at how bright it is. You will notice there is a camera there if you glance in its direction.

It is very well made, and very heavy duty (esp compared to the little Dahua ball cam - really cheap). It's a bit bigger than the Dahua as well, but still fairly compact. I've got it mounted up high on a porch ceiling, which is white, and (at least during the day) it is almost invisible up there due to just the 2 small black "circles" (lens and ir) and the tiny light sensor. Without the larger black lens/ir face of the bullet it's harder to notice against something that's white.

Seems like a solid value to me - I ordered another after testing out this one.

Woohoo!! Thats what I wanted to hear. Apparently the cheaper hikvision domes (With the 2.8mm) experience terrible IR bleed, which these completely eliminate. I'm looking to buy 10 of the suckers so the jump in price to the next model would sting....and apparently these newer EXIR cheapies are 3 axis?

They are 3 axis. I would also avoid a dome camera for not only IR bleed but also reflections off the dome and other potential distortion. Also easier to clean as the plastic domes are fairly easily scratched based on my (limited) experience.

I purchased the 4mm version from Wrightwood Surveillance. The picture quality during the day is excellent. At night, when not using IR, the image is very dark and grainy. I have adjusted the settings on my DS-2CD3332-I in an attempt to get a similar night image compared to my Dahua IPC-HDW2100 but I haven't been successful.

More than often IR bleed is from a poor camera position. The IR's are reflecting off of something, the camera housing is too close to the lens, the camera is turned towards the wall too much, a roofline, etc. The best thing to try to correct IR bleed is to adjust

the camera during the night time.

I had the same problem and it was a setting under Day/Night called Smart IR. I think the night vision is awesome. I have the 5.1 Firmware on it, so your options may be different. It's actually on loan from them to do the review. I have it in my pitch black backyard and it's doing pretty good.

Ive just purchased 6 of these camera a few weeks ago. I'm still testing them with the Hik NVR, so far so good.

I wont use the 2.8 mini domes any more due to the IR bleed.

Don't know why they call it a turret, it's just an eyeball camera, pretty common. You control it by removing the ring around the base, loosen the screw, move it to where you want, tighten the screw and put the ring back on.

I think what you want is this bad boy - http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=8372

Oh.. I guess I didn't know the difference -- how is this better than what a common dome camera provides in terms of adjustability for pointing the field of view where you want? Is it better or about the same.. I guess I like the typical domes if there's no big advantage.. Are these turret cams better than the regular Hikvision domes (e.g. not the minidome) or is it just the same cam in a different package?

Are these turret cams better than the regular Hikvision domes (e.g. not the minidome) or is it just the same cam in a different package?

Actually just published the review on this but here's my take.

Bullets are easy to install and work well, but not very vandal resistant as you can move them many time with just a broom stick. in the business, they call bullets piñatas.

Domes are vandal resistant but have a multitude of problems. For example some are 2-axis so typically has to be mounted level and facing down. The dome is curved plastic surface and that leads to several problems, the worst is light bleed from the IR because of glare from the curved surface. To say there's zero effect from this is wrong, all IR domes are affected, just some are not as noticeable as others. I know I'll say a particular camera does not suffer from this, but that just means it's not noticeable. The other problem with the dome is the curved surface reflects light in bad ways, like the sun blinding the camera from more angles than a bullet or streaks and stars from reflections. Also, the cheap plastic used on domes even on Mobotix domes tend to create distortions and some even have seams near the edge (had this with top of the line Axis and Mobotix domes) making it hard to use near the limits of adjustment. Also domes are harder to install because you have to remove the dome cover to install, aim and focus the camera and sometimes putting the dome cover back on can knock the lens out aim or focus. To me, many more trips up and down the ladder. One upside of a dome is it's more discrete if that's the right word, meaning it's harder to tell what it's pointing at. People even use smoked domes to enhance this effect.

Eyeball cameras have the flat glass of bullet, so the clear picture and none of the dome issues noted above. They are easier to install because you don't need to remove the dome cover, usually just a trim ring around the base. Some are more vandal resistant than others. For example, the Dahua eyeball can be moved more easily than the Hikvision eyeball because the Hik has a set screw to lock the camera in place. So semi-vandal resistant, but the glass is exposed so hitting it with a baseball bat will damage the lens, but in a dome you have that extra layer of protection.

So yes, just another choice. This is also a basic camera, so hard to compare to Hikvision's higher end domes that have alarm io, varifocal lenses, sd card slots and audio. Also, price wise, seems to be priced like the bullets so a little less expensive than the domes.

Thanks for that description -- I gather the turret in question does not do audio tho.. I don't see any that do.. I might have to see if I REALLY need audio or not.. It would REALLY simplify things if I don't..

I just installed the Exir turret in my garage a few days ago and am real happy w/ it. I replaced a Hik dome that had all of the issues outlined in this thread and am real happy that I made the switch. The quality is great and the IR is real bright with no bleed.

We have the OEM version (no logos), not the Chinese version as in wrightwood, so its a bit more expensive but does come with 3 year warranty instead of 90 days. Well worth it I think . Most clients buy it for the 3-axis/easy install instead of the ex-IR though I think.

Audio is a mixed bag because you have to find a microphone that works for you, like an outdoor one, amplified with 12V power source and mounted near where the people will be which may not be where the camera is.

Also, if you live in the U.S. and in one of the 16 states that prohibits recording of conversations without all parties consenting, your evidence in court may land you behind bars at worst, at best your video may be thrown out as evidence. If you are in the other states, typically the laws dictate that one person in the conversation consent to being recorded, but if you are not part of the conversation, that may also be not be allowed. I would consult with an attorney in your area before recording audio.

Hello all,

I have a technical question.

I see that this eyeball can be chosen with 4 different lens (2,8mm - 4mm - 6mm - 12mm).

If I'm not wrong, the angles of view are :

• 2,8mm : 105°
  • 4mm : 76°

Right ?

What about the distance you can identify a thief ?

Thanks for your help.