jeannie

STATIC IP ADDRESS-HOW DO I GET ONE

I NEED A STATIC IP ADDRESS BUT AOL MY INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER DO NOT PROVIDE THEM IS THERE A WAY ROUND THIS.

Nope AOL sucks.

If you have Cox communications in your area, their basic business plan is like $40/mo and includes a static IP and 384k up.

Not to mention they don't try to take over your PC with a new unneeded browser a screen full of toolbars on your existing browser or alot of the other things ISPs do.

If you don't really needa static IP you can use a DDNS service like DynDNS.org but then you rely on DNS to function, and you should use a router that will supports it.

I use No-IP and haven't had any problems with it.

Why pay extra for a static IP address unless you really need it?

In your case it is not an option anyway, so use No-IP or other IP tracker.

You can use ddns to point to a open port, then use ddns to point a port 80 name to the other ddns port that is open so you do not have to use the crazyman.myserver.com:8888 you can just use the crazyman.myserver.com

i use DynDns.org as it also works inside routers, so no additional software required on the PC ... you can just add port :81 after the DDNS name ..

Rory

Using a name service sounds good except there are always 2 problems that can come up.

1. Many ISP's block port 80. That means you need a DVR that will support other ports for browser based viewing. Some do not.

2. Some DVR software programs, can't resolve by name, they need a IP address.Therefore "myname.dyndns.org" won't work either.

2. Some DVR software programs, can't resolve by name, they need a IP address.Therefore "myname.dyndns.org" won't work either.

Many other devices won't rely on DNS, at this point thats what I am assuming we are dealing with.

There may be other options for you as well Jeannie if you tell us "why?" For example if it is for use with a DVR or video server (in other words Networked Video) many manufacturers of such products offer support for dynamic IP addressing together with simple free services not unlike some of those referenced above.

On the other side of the arguement you might consider that (again assumes this is for remote viewing of video) a minimum advisable upload speed connection (though a different wired or wireless isp) will often include 1-5 static IP's anyway.