libertysurveillance

What PC's are you using for your Geo Systems?

What type of PC's is everyone using for running their Geo systems..

Right now, for lower end cards we've just been using the cheap dell deminsions with the free LCD. We usually pick them up for around 400$ and sell them as is with no markup.

For higher end cards, we use higher end dells, which sucks cause the price gets blow way out of the water for a machine with a pci-x, or agp slot.

Their templates are like setup so there is no middle ground, either dead cheap or overpriced.

We were wondering what everyone else is using for a cost effective machine.

for GV800's for example, i have used custom built SystemMax PCs .. for GV250's any PC i have lying around ...

otherwise I have VueStar custom build them with the card tested before they send them.

What about size Rory. I'd really like a small formfactor pc with a large enough case to fit the bigger Geo boards.

I was looking at systemmax pc's for a bit, the only thing that bites the biggy on that one is, going from a tube to a lcd, drives the cost so high up, and people like the dell name, its hard to shy away to another company with the high prices they charge.

yeah but they can buy a Dell anywhere .. check the SystemMax built to orders .. thats the best, in fact I did GV800's in a Built to order with a Via Chipset and replaced the Mobo with a SIS seperately and kept the cost down, and nice small mid case ... havent gone back to it once .. still ticking along since last august .. they have the larger cases also, I can look up the specs I did for 2 diff systems somewhere, one was for like the GV800s, the other was for the GV1000s at the time ..

Are you looking to build these PC's yourself?

If so check out this setup. Has worked great for all my PC DVR's. Obviuosly depending on the number of channels RAM may need to be increased. Other than that this thing is a powerhouse for any PC DVR setup:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=1971087&WishListTitle=DVR+SETUP

Pretty much everything you will need less the case and OS/Software. Great setup for $415.00.

Case I have used before. Comes with a 350Watt PSU and a 120mm Fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811182568

After much thought, I built a PC for the GeoVision GV800-8 board I had decided would meet my needs.

The case: Antec Solution SLK1650 Beige Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply.

I love it. It is roomy, but not huge.

Everything fits well. It has a large rear fan.

The top and sides are independent, and easily removed.

The motherboard: Abit IS7-E2.

Known brand, handles a P4, Intel chipset, and chipset cooler is a large heat sink with no fan.

The heat sink does not get hot, and there is no fan to go bad.

It supports two SATA drives and EIDE drives as well.

It has onboard sound, and onboard lan.

I own 3 of these boards and have no complaints so far. They are rock solid.

The CPU: P4 2.8 GHZ, 512 Cache, 800MHZ FSB, with hyperthreading. Mfg part# RK80532PG072512

This is one of the most powerful P4 CPUs available with the Northwood core.

It runs much cooler and uses less watts then the next generation of P4 ( Prescot ) ... also known as 'Presc HOT'.

The CPU cooler: MassCool 9T488B1M3G. It is a little overkill for this processor, but a very nice unit.

The fan is not real quiet, but I should be able to drop the fan speed considerably, and that will quiet it down.

I am presently looking into temperature sensing fan speed controllers.

The Video Card: eVGA 256-A8-N341-L2 Geforce 6200 256MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X.

This is a DirectX 9 compiant card, and should give enough power to do the job.

It has a large heatsink with no fan. The heat sink gets warm, but not worrysome hot.

No fan to go bad.

The Memory: 1 Gig of Corsair DDR400. ( 2 X 512 Dual chanel kit )

HDD is really dependent on the needs of the user.

I think that covers the essentials.

I had some troubles until I got the Geo settings proper. ( Thanks again Rory )

I still had some problems until I got the DirectX 9 compliant card in place.

That really made the diference!!

I put the card in yesterday, and so far it seems all of my problems just .... went away.

A prebuilt PC may be cheaper, but I am please with my decisions on what is in this GeoPC.

However I am a GeoNoob, so I may have overlooked many pitfalls yet to be discovered.

The problem with using a Dell or similiar setup is when the system fails, who wants to warranty a Dell machine? Hell, unless you like calling India even they don't.

Scottj

Pretty much everything you will need less the case and OS/Software. Great setup for $415.00.

What stinks is you add windows to that setup and you're adding another 100 bucks.

True, so $100 for WinXP and another $40-$50 for case and PSU.

Total: $560.00 + $20.00(S&H) = $580.00

So, how much would that setup cost from DELL..

The problem with using a Dell or similiar setup is when the system fails, who wants to warranty a Dell machine? Hell, unless you like calling India even they don't.

Scottj

It depends on which parts of Dell you work with. If you are buying Dimentions or Precision machines....good luck. If you work with thier server lines like the PowerEdge lines then you get better support. When I was on the support side, I would just need to call, say I did tests x,y, and z and I need this part. Either the part would in my hands in one to two days or a Dell tech would be on site to replace the parts.

There are some plus sides to using the better Dell equipment. The hardware is very vanilla, and very consistant. I've had conversations with some support/product dev people from another compnay in town and thier failure rate on whiteboxes is a number that I find insane. I can't imagine staying in bussiness with that kind of failure rate.

and thier failure rate on whiteboxes is a number that I find insane. I can't imagine staying in bussiness with that kind of failure rate.

So what's the failure rate..

I can certainly agree with you Thomas regarding the higher end server line. I basically was talking about the low cost "$499.99" home desktop PC's they advertise that many people think will instantly become a DVR by just tossing a PCI board in it and loading some software.

What I have a difficult time understanding are those "companies" or "ebayers" that use these types of machines mentioned and do exactly just that...slap a board in and add a couple bucks to the cost for a little profit. These companies are only hurting their own profitability, especially when it devaluates the market for a PC based recording system. It happens in all industry sure, but why would anyone do that??? I don't know about most of you guys in here, but I am in business to make money not just for the practice.

Scottj

What stinks is you add windows to that setup and you're adding another 100 bucks.

True, so $100 for WinXP and another $40-$50 for case and PSU.

Total: $560.00 + $20.00(S&H) = $580.00

So, how much would that setup cost from DELL..

add the cost to build and test it.

I think this is a perfect dealer area question...That is all.

good point .. though the poster isnt in there yet ..i think..?

We have our computers built by a local firm using the exact parts we specify. We have had good luck. When something goes wrong I don't have to get on tech support hold que and get into an argument with what is wrong the system hardware, third party hardware, or software. My supplier just shows up with whatever it takes to get the system up and running usually withing a couple of hours. I pay more than I would for a Dell but we pass it along to the customer. I agree with Thomas I don't want to be the lowest cost supplier I want to be the highest cost I can be and still sell product.

We've been getting low end dells for the gv250's, 600's and some rare cases with cheapo home buyers even the 800's. Last summer i was picking em up for $319 + tax/handling, this was with a 15" LCD. Right now the lowest end dells are about $350 - $450 depending on the sale of the week. 90% of them come with LCD's (by no means are these great lcd's but consumers love em).

I just cant see spending another 100 - 200$ out of my profit, on a system thats a tad bit better, with a clunker CRT.

I live in a metro area and there are dell tech's everywhere that do same day warranty service.

The low end dells are the only reason we can out price the low budget systems around here. You compare to the cost of a DVR and GEO+DELL blows it out of the water.

I used a dell GX620 with a geo 1480 and am not very happy.

I would use a poweredge 1800 next time.

Not a big white box fan but I would never build my own. I know vendors that can produce the same config for a long time to my spec and warrantee if for 2-3 years. The nice part is most will load a custom image for me and tech support will give you any part you want same day for repair. If you buy enough you can talk your way into entire spare computer so you just swap the pc and worry about fixing the problem later.

The trick is to find a vendor that will sign a contract, you give a yearly guaranteed purchase amount and they will do anything for warrantee and keeping spare parts in stock. Plus you have to spend tons with Dell to get any free lunch or hunting trips.

We've been getting low end dells for the gv250's, 600's and some rare cases with cheapo home buyers even the 800's. Last summer i was picking em up for $319 + tax/handling, this was with a 15" LCD. Right now the lowest end dells are about $350 - $450 depending on the sale of the week. 90% of them come with LCD's (by no means are these great lcd's but consumers love em).

I just cant see spending another 100 - 200$ out of my profit, on a system thats a tad bit better, with a clunker CRT.

I live in a metro area and there are dell tech's everywhere that do same day warranty service.

The low end dells are the only reason we can out price the low budget systems around here. You compare to the cost of a DVR and GEO+DELL blows it out of the water.

How do you ensure you get the right northbridge? I haven't ever seen Dell calling out specs.

http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&cs=RC977257&l=en&s=k12&~cat=12&~subcat=88

Pick you PC and go to View user guide, html, Computer Specifications, Computer Infomation.

ex.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx520/en/ug/sdspecs0.htm#wp1133451

or

Computer Information

Chipset

Intel® 945 Express

Data bus width

64 bits

Address bus width

32 bits

DMA channels

eight

Interrupt levels

BIOS chip (NVRAM)

4 Mb

Memory speed

400 MHz and 533 MHz

NIC

integrated network interface with ASF 1.03 and 2.0 support as defined by DMTF

Capable of 10/100/1000 communication:

Green — A good connection exists between a 10-Mbps network and the computer.

Orange — A good connection exists between a 100-Mbps network and the computer.

Yellow — A good connection exists between a 1-Gb (or 1000-Mbps) network and the computer.

Off — The computer is not detecting a physical connection to the network.

Tell me if the link does not work, it is a part of the k12 store.