kg6mti

Best place to get these camera's.

I have used that same camera many times, less the IR's. Very decent camera for the $. Low light is pretty bad without the IR's, wonder what it would look like with the IR's at night.

Simon, do you have any nightime snapshots?

But, what if you want to put it outside?? How could you put that camera in a housing without IR reflection?

sorry kandcorp, i don't have any nightime snapshots but some nightime video, and I know its minimum illumination is 0Lux/F1.2

A $7.00 Chinese made housing will last approx. .....um well, 7 days outside.

You get what you pay for guys, buy something a little more reputable that offers "quality", a term often overlooked by cost.

Scottj

A $7.00 Chinese made housing with one year warranty.

20051110110247.jpg

what about this? kg6mti

Style wise that camera is very similar to the Mace CAM53CIR that I currently have in the position that I am looking to replace. I am happy with the basic performance of the CAM53CIR. The main problem that I have is cold weather condensation.

I appreciate any input you have though.

The bullet itself may be sufficient, but that mount couldn't hold up an eggshell............A real pain to work with if that camera weighs anything.

The main problem that I have is cold weather condensation.

Is the condensation inside or out? If it is inside, is there any room in the housing for one of those small silica packs? Some people I scuba dive with use them in the underwater camera housings and they help.

Also you may want to try taking the camera apart on a low humidity day, letting it dry out, and then sealing all seams with some silicone upon reassembly.

Of course if it condensing on the outside of the lens none of this will help.

Edited by Guest

0882.jpg

These housings I hate to say are horrible. Used to carry them at my old job and never sold them for outside apps. The rubber/plastic gaskets DO NOT keep the moisture/water out of the housing. The only way you can mount these outdoor is if you caulk all seals...and still I wouldnt trust them at all. And if I remove the glass...I cant mount the camera outdoor Simon.

The main problem that I have is cold weather condensation.

Is the condensation inside or out? If it is inside, is there any room in the housing for one of those small silica packs? Some people I scuba dive with use them in the underwater camera housings and they help.

Also you may want to try taking the camera apart on a low humidity day, letting it dry out, and then sealing all seams with some silicone upon reassembly.

Of course if it condensing on the outside of the lens none of this will help.

The condensation is on the outside. The site where the camera's are located is near the ocean. At night this time of year is get cold out. The condensation is not so bad that the camera is worthless it just doesn't look as good as it could. I have other CAM53CIR camera's around the outside of the house because of their position they are protected more from the cold and look great at night. During the day all the camera's have a fantastic image they are all very clear. It is basically the couple of camera's that face west directly towards the ocean that get the most condensation. It's not spray directly off the ocean I am not fortunate enough to be that close to the water. However I would imagine it has something to do with the direction of the air movement off the coast. I have even gone out at night and wiped the lens off and then those camera's look great for the rest of that evening. So basically I know the camera is working good.

A $7.00 Chinese made housing will last approx. .....um well, 7 days outside.

You get what you pay for guys, buy something a little more reputable that offers "quality", a term often overlooked by cost.

Scottj

A $7.00 Chinese made housing with one year warranty.

The warranty means very little, you will be hard pressed to find a person willing to pay freight for a $7.00 component for a warrantly replacement. Then again there may actually be people that are willing to do that

Scottj

You need a heated housing to combat condensation well, its just physics whatever is colder then the dew point in that place that day will get condensation.

You need a heated housing to combat condensation well, its just physics whatever is colder then the dew point in that place that day will get condensation.

That's what I figured and now several people have confirmed. Now the hard part is selecting a good quality camera.

Thanks!

kg6mti- What type of camera housing you wish for your home? Are aesthetics a concern? Do you wish to be somewhat discreet? This may help determine what direction you go, understanding the quality trade-offs.

Choices:

1. Traditional box cameras in a http://robust, heated outdoor rated enclosure. OEM tested to IP65/66 rating.

2. How about a mini dome? These are nice for homes-under sofits etc. They also are available in IP65/66 ratings.

3. Bullet type cameras, hmmm....

I like to keep IR illuminators outside of my camera housings...

kg6mti- What type of camera housing you wish for your home? Are aesthetics a concern? Do you wish to be somewhat discreet? This may help determine what direction you go, understanding the quality trade-offs.

Choices:

1. Traditional box cameras in a http://robust, heated outdoor rated enclosure. OEM tested to IP65/66 rating.

2. How about a mini dome? These are nice for homes-under sofits etc. They also are available in IP65/66 ratings.

3. Bullet type cameras, hmmm....

I like to keep IR illuminators outside of my camera housings...

I am probably asking for to much. I want to be somewhat discreet this particular camera is in in the rear of the home up high. So a good looking box camera with a decent enclosure could work out well.

Currently I have Mace CAM53CIR mounted under the eave of a flat portion of the building.

Thanks!