inspire

Install RG59 Uderground

Can anyone pls let me know is it possible to lay RG59 underground, expose to moisture?

If cannot, pls let me know what is the alternative way of doing it.......Thanks.

Can anyone pls let me know is it possible to lay RG59 underground, expose to moisture?

If cannot, pls let me know what is the alternative way of doing it.......Thanks.

I've seen burial grade rg59 buried and it has worked without incident. I've also seen regular rg59 buried prior to the burial grade. lol thanked god that it wasn't me who installed it and that i had the opportunity to learn from their experience without expending all the resources of time, cable, equipment necessary to figure out what exactly went wrong. If your planning on burying the power as well make sure that it is burial grade as well. I find running local power however is a better bet if possible in instances like that. They ended up running burial grade siamese cable and i think they had to ensure that it was buried lower than the frost line, it gets pretty cold here in Canada.

CCTVMAN

Hello Inspire, dependent on your run and environmental factors,try to use conduit if possible, only use direct burial high quality RG59 no matter what, as cctvman suggested,and bury at least 18in, you can reduce that depth 6in if you use rigid or intermediate conduit. If your cable is under vehicle traffic then go at least 24in. A lot of people dig trenches and throw wire/cable in them without considering surge/overcurrentprotection for lightning and physical protection of the wire itself. No matter what route you choose direct burial or conduit its going to get wet. Really its all about physical protection.If you decide to go with conduit, oversize it and pull some spares for future upgrades or repair.

Im pretty sure they answered your question Inspire.

Basically use Direct Bury Cable, or put it in Conduit.

Without that extra protection it can get damaged easier.

Like they said I would use direct burial or put it in a conduit. Remember though that it will be susceptible to spikes from lightening ,etc.

If you use conduit use IMT or rigid conduit with proper grounding.

If direct burial. Use proper lightning and surge suppression on both ends.

A bonded system will be less susceptible to lightning.

If it's building to building I usually use direct burial Cat5 and a remote power supply. If you are installing multiple cameras you will be very thankful that you did, if not add-ons are no big deal in the future.

been there done that..........go gelfilled CAT5e direct buried. you'll be happy.........protect with PVC if possible.

I just buried some RG59. It cost 35 cents a foot. No power tho. There was power at the camera site. Plugged in a wall wart.

If you use "direct burial" type cable you should be fine.

Be sure to call the utility companies in your area before you start trenching. They will come and mark roughly where their lines are located free of charge.

E-mail me if you need help finding some direct burial cabling.