rory

Removeable Case Fan Filters?

Hi, im searching for some filters for my case and a couple others, 120mm and 80mm fans are installed, but i need a filter for them as in their case there are tons of dust in the rooms .. anyway, seen plenty of filters around the web, but im looking for something where they can be removed and cleaned without using a screw driver, in other words i need a holder for them which will screw onto the case, they then just slide in and out when needed.

Any ideas? I cant find any on New Egg or other sites ...

thanks

rory

I don’t know if this will work for you or not or if this is what your looking for.

There are moldings or what builders call J channel. It comes in a variety of materials and sizes. There is a plastic or vinyl that’s used to trim wall paneling. There is also metal J channel like stainless, aluminum and chrome plated products for framing mirrors and the like. You could use something like that and cut it to size your self. Then just slide something like air conditioner filter cut to fit right in. Because of the light weight, all you would need is a good double sided tape to hold the frame in place.

I would look where they sell lumber and/or building supplies. Even a good hardware store might have it. Anyway, we have a place called Home Depot here. I don’t know if you have them there or not. You might also try a heating and air conditioning company they might even fabricate a frame for you.

hi, meaning the cable molding right?

Guess I could buy the smaller ones then cut them and glue them into a 3 way piece, drill some holes, mount then then put a filter in that ..

ill check it out .. thanks!

Wish there was something made already though

Rory

I was thinking about something more like what you will see on the link below. It is also light enough to fasten it to the metal case with that foam type two sided sticky tape and easy enough to cut to size. However, I don't know how pretty you want it. Plus, I don't know if you need a stiff screen of some sort to keep the fans from pulling the filter into the fans. There is all kinds of J molding, even for vinyl house siding.

http://www.glassdistributorsinc.com/mirror_j_mold.htm

If there is really serious dust in the rooms, and you want your computers to last, then you should definitely consider using filtered enclosures

http://dustfreepcinfo.com/

http://www.clean-aire.com/Computer%20Enclosures.htm

Or you could save a few bucks and build your own. Good Luck!

thats pretty cool

Actually its not that bad, just a typical room .. but im looking at the Istar cases now .. though i like Antec .. the Istar's come with all the bells and whistles also such as removable Drive bays, all the great large fans i need down here, and just waiting to hear back on whether their filters are removable or fixed.

Now if I can make /get some filters for the other existing cases ..

there are a few things you can try if you wanna make your own:

As already suggested, a air conditioning filter (like for a house), can be picked up for a few dollars and cut to fit. There are the foam type and the fiberglass type. I have used this on some harddrive enclosures before.

You can also try a coarse scotch-brite pad, floor buffing pad, or whatever else is handy, and cut to fit.

update to this.

Got a couple aluminum mesh filters .. put one for the Side CPU Funnel, attached between the side panel and the fan .. fit and works well. Course its not really "removable" at least not without a screw driver and removing the side, but regardless it will do the job for right now.

And the front one, regular fan screws did not fit the hole, and fatter screws that size would be hard to find here, so .. just used 2 mini tie straps on 2 of the corners .. holds it there and does the job.

May take one of the extra filters I got and see if a local plastic company could make up a holder for it, which could then just be glued onto the case side (on the outside of it) and the case front, and the filter slides into that - so it can be easily removed .. will let you know if that happens.

Rory

Im using Antec, I havent found anything besides Server cases with Removable Filters .. nothing worth mentioning anyway. These are for MicroATX Cases. PS. that $100 is $250 here.

Im using Antec, I havent found anything besides Server cases with Removable Filters .. nothing worth mentioning anyway. These are for MicroATX Cases. PS. that $100 is $250 here.

Rory, most of Antec cases already come with a filter on the front... Removable and reusable... Which case do you have?

I use server cases, and as I have offered before I can load it all inside the case and ship it. That shouls save you a considerable amount vs. international shipping individually or buying locally.

Rory, most of Antec cases already come with a filter on the front... Removable and reusable... Which case do you have?

None of their MicroATX cases come with a Removable front filter, AND a CPU funnel. In these particular cases, the 1650B.

I use server cases, and as I have offered before I can load it all inside the case and ship it. That shouls save you a considerable amount vs. international shipping individually or buying locally.

Home users dont want server cases .. but will keep that in mind .. thanks

Something like this?

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=ff-80

http://www.ultimatepc-reviews.co.uk/PDF%20REVIEWS/NexusAccessoriesRoundup-UltimatePCReviews.pdf

Doug

Hi, im searching for some filters for my case and a couple others, 120mm and 80mm fans are installed, but i need a filter for them as in their case there are tons of dust in the rooms .. anyway, seen plenty of filters around the web, but im looking for something where they can be removed and cleaned without using a screw driver, in other words i need a holder for them which will screw onto the case, they then just slide in and out when needed.

Any ideas? I cant find any on New Egg or other sites ...

thanks

rory

Sought of, same like i have now kind of, I have the aluminum mesh ones though, which lets more air through than those (from what I have read). Air is of the importance in these cases, hence the 2x 80mm fans and the 120mm rear fan.

Thing is that the cases front fan section comes with holes that are larger than the regular fan screws, so that wont work if they dont provide those screws, which the ones I got, dont. Im using a standard Antec case so it must be the norm. Anyway, I can just get a local plastic company to make me up something which I can slide the filter in and out of, when cleaning is needed. I can just glue that holder onto the case front. For now I used 2 mini tie straps.

Thanks

Rory