rory

SimpleVue Geo - Basic Remote Viewer

SimpleVue Geo - Version 1.3

Updated: August 29, 2007, 5.48pm GMT-5

Single Camera Remote Viewer for GeoVision DVRs

Connects to the WebCam Server on the DVR.

• Free Software

• No installation required.

• Unzip file and run from that folder.

• Uses an INI file, SVSettings.ini (see below)

• Required Codecs and files included. These are copied and registered on the user's PC if not already.

Updates

Fix for using multiple instances; you could create a separate folder for each one and rename the EXE file (eg. Cam1, Cam2, etc), then run those at the same time, having multiple cameras streaming at one time. This will allow you to then create your own multi view application, and also to connect to multiple sites. Note: It will only save the settings under different names if the EXE file names are unique. Registry settings are saved in HKLM\Software\SimpleVue. (v1.2)

• Check for active cameras and manually change cameras using hot keys (v1.3)

Known Issues

1) When first launching the program and it shows "Connect to Server .." you cannot exit by hitting the Escape key or the X. This is normal, to prevent object errors; you will have to wait until it finishes trying to connect before you can exit.

2) When connecting to a PAL system, setting 3 for high quality (720x576) it does not set. Just alerted of this problem and will apply a fix shortly. (also applies to the LiveScan program)

FAQ/Support

For Error Messages, please see the LiveVue Scan common errors.

Terms

This is free software and we are not to be held responsible nor liable for damage from the use or misuse of this software.

Download v1.3

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/dl/?q=SimpleVueGeo.zip

More Info:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/simplevuegeo.asp

Edited by Guest

Damm Rory you have been busy. I haven’t been around in a while and I check in today to look up something and what do I find, a load of freebies!

Good work " title="Applause" />

Thanks, I have tons more to come, though I am at the same time working on an updated version of my main project. Anyway, keep checking back, there will be more freebies to come, even some for other developers.

Great stuff Rory, downloaded it yesterday. Works a treat, really lightweight and quick too.

Keep up the good work, the DVR's we produce have been transformed since I found all your customizations recently !

Thanks, glad to help. I was playing around with the SDK for the main Geo Server side, but think I will stick with the remote side for now, and maybe just some more basic mods like skins etc. for the server side. Lots of ideas but just not enough time .. I need a few mini mees ..

Thanks, glad to help. I was playing around with the SDK for the main Geo Server side, but think I will stick with the remote side for now, and maybe just some more basic mods like skins etc. for the server side. Lots of ideas but just not enough time .. I need a few mini mees ..

Got this from Geovision today :

GeoVision SDK Support

Taipei, Taiwan - GeoVision is dedicated to developing video surveillance software and providing flexible solutions for video monitoring projects. Having noticed our customers, especially system integrators, who have thriving needs of our SDK tools to customize GeoVision products for their specific requirements, we are glad to launch our new SDK support and consultant services to a broader range of new application environments.

Our DVR and Video Server SDKs are designed to provide seamless integration into existing control equipments or I/O devices, allowing users to develop applications on GeoVision video surveillance systems with full scalability in monitoring and electronics automation. With the well-rounded and customized SDK services, system developers may optimize their capability in using GeoVision's innovative products.

Is their SDK support is as good as their tech suppport?

I wonder if they really are called Harry, Larry and Sally.

Probably like my buddies from Thailand, they choose their Western name.

Yes I have their SDK ... its not new though, its a mixture of 6-7.0 and 8.0. Dont really need support as everything is explained .. I spent months though in the beginning figuring out what everything was as I didnt have the SDK package, just the activeX .. now a couple things I didnt know or just could not get to work .. like maybe only 0.001%, it makes sense, since they are reserved and dont actually do anything.

Yes I have their SDK ... its not new though, its a mixture of 6-7.0 and 8.0. Dont really need support as everything is explained .. I spent months though in the beginning figuring out what everything was as I didnt have the SDK package, just the activeX .. now a couple things I didnt know or just could not get to work .. like maybe only 0.001%, it makes sense, since they are reserved and dont actually do anything.

Rory, is there any way to view GeoWebServer video streams or snapshots without using ActiveX. I mean things like JScript, VBS, ASP, PHP to make it more accesible for public.

Rory, is there any way to view GeoWebServer video streams or snapshots without using ActiveX. I mean things like JScript, VBS, ASP, PHP to make it more accesible for public.

Only if you make your own server .. they do give you C++ Code that lets you run your own app and stream video from the card, as long as it runs within the Geo folder, and as long as Geo DVR Software is running. I havent played with it any more than that though as its C++, and im busy with my other program.

Ofcourse they already have the Java app, so one can use that, but it is limited and low quality. Another thing I did before while testing browser related Geo stuff, was to run the Java app on a seperate PC, it will then create the jpegs on the DVR. From that you then set up IIS (or other) Server and run a script on the DVR (in my case ASP) to display the images to the user; so yes thats basically just javascript image push.

Another option I havent gone into any depth with, would be to create the images yourself, running the activeX inside a program on another PC on the same network, create the images (snapshots) of the live video, place those into a folder in the IIS server folder, and access the images from there using javascript, then you get the higher resolution.

Rory

Hi, this may be the reason.

The first time running it, it will need to install the activeX and codecs. Version error means it does not see the ActiveX registered on that PC and so it tries to register it but cannot, and so the ActiveX is not getting installed.

It will only install the activeX and codecs if you are logged in as an Administrator on that PC. If in Limited user mode, you will need to right click on the program and choose RUN AS, then login with an Admin user and password.

Basically in Limited user mode it can read from the registry and the sections for the activeX and codecs, but cannot write to it. This can be somewhat fixed with me creating an installer, but that would still need to be run as an Admin.

Rory

Hi, this may be the reason.

The first time running it, it will need to install the activeX and codecs. Version error means it does not see the ActiveX registered on that PC and so it tries to register it but cannot, and so the ActiveX is not getting installed.

It will only install the activeX and codecs if you are logged in as an Administrator on that PC. If in Limited user mode, you will need to right click on the program and choose RUN AS, then login with an Admin user and password.

Basically in Limited user mode it can read from the registry and the sections for the activeX and codecs, but cannot write to it. This can be somewhat fixed with me creating an installer, but that would still need to be run as an Admin.

Rory

I right click on the program and now it shows "cannot connect"

by the way i am using windows vista

Ah yes, wont work in Vista as it is. Reason is Vista wont see the app path the same as XP, as it is virtual paths in Vista and any user files need to be in the User's folder, or All User's folder.

I dont have a Vista PC here right now to fix it but will do it as soon as I get a chance.

Rory

Hey rory thanks for your help as always.

how else can i view my cameras remotely? I am going away for 2 months and i need to keep an eye on what is going around in my store.

First, try right clicking on the exe file where it has been downloaded to, see if there is a RUN AS, and try that with an Admin account if not already.

As for other methods.

There are the default Geo programs ofcourse, as well as the browser based.

There is also my LiveVue program, but the old version doesnt work on Vista. Im working on the new version with multisite, etc. but wont be ready for a little while yet. There is a DEV version (not Beta as it will change considerably when this new version is released) that can be downloaded from the following link, run in Demo mode will let you do 8 cameras (times out after 3 minutes, then have to reconnect). It works in Vista Basic and all the others. Must install as an admin though; as it is registering codecs and the activex. That will apply to anything that needs to install on the PC and update sections of the registry for codecs, etc. must be run as an admin when doing that, once that is done, then it should just run.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/test/LVGsetup1.2DEV.exe

Info:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3

Im updating the codecs etc in my new LiveVue version this weekend (which already work on Vista) so this weekend I may be able to get a Vista version up of SimpleVue up there for you, or at least a codec and activeX installer.

Rory

On the DVR itself, first you need to port forward all the relevant ports if using a router and not already done, also set them up in the Windows Firewall if that is enabled. This is regardless of whether or not you changed the default ports; they still need to be forwarded if using a router.

It uses WebCam so the default ports for that would be 80, 4550, 5550, 6550. It ignores the main HTTP port so in my program that does not matter. Only the other ports (4550, 5550, 6550) matter if you changed them, or have multiple DVRs using different ports on the same IP. If no ports were changed on the DVR and it is a single DVR on the one IP then you dont have to change any port information.

The IP changes unless you have a static IP. If you have a router you can setup an account with DynDns.com or No-ip.com and set that account up in the router, and it will then update the name you created with the IP of that router, anytime it changes. Then you can use myname.something.com instead of an IP and it will not change.

To get the IP when on the DVR just go here:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/ip

or, whatismyip.org, etc.

I am unable to get the app to stick in a second monitor on my double monitor setup. Ive got "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" checked for the second monitor.

Is there a workaround?

Hi Rory,

This is great. I've been running it for a while. I have 2 copies, back before I realized that I could switch between cameras. Each copy has the EXE with a unique name.

Anyway, last week I started having a problem where neither exe would start up. I renamed each exe and the problem went away. Got any ideas about this?

Hi, sorry no work around for the second monitor thing.

As to the not starting up, maybe a security app like nortons blocking it?

The attached file is infected with virus

What file and how did you come to that conclusion?

rory,

Can one set the resolution to anything better than 320x240 in NTSC? That option is greyed out regardless of what I do on the server's end.

regards