cctv_addicted

What is the highest CCTV camera resolution?

listen rooky... (my spelling with a twist, meaning: birds of a feather... flock together without a clue) A rook is a crow for you. look it up grammar king..(very petty of you to focus on grammar though...now, nobody will want to talk with you since you are looking for perfection in forum spelling )

Like I said.. I should not take it out on you. You just don't know any better. I should be going after the chaps that make these products and feed you the lies.

By the way, there really is proof of "overclocked specs" on your website.. But much like my company and how much I sell, I cannot tell.

best advice I can give you is, stay away from all the "no brand" products since they have nothing to lose by lying.

Take it easy man... I will leave you alone now... gday

arm electronics actually has a 620lines color camera-c620mdvaivp!!

Thank you Armyofone. At least you know what I am talking about. I know that they make these, but that guy refuses to believe it and is taking his anger from most likely a bad sale from some company out there on us. Watch out, he make be coming after you next LOL!

really? 600TVL??

well I have one with 800TVL for $49.99!! Top this lie!

Maybe you were not paying attention. The max is 520TVL with a specific DSP (I will not tell which) maybe you can tell us what CCD and DSP your 600TVL camera has?? Not sure??

Ok, regardless of whether or not you consider ARM Electronics a "no-brand" product here are extremely reputable manufacturers that prove this statement wrong:

560TVL Color / 700TVL B/W

http://www.samsungcctv.com/product/file_data/manual/20070911_0_0708.SHC-735.E.pdf

I don't know what DSP it uses but the CCD is a Samsung chip(obviously).

Artnix(specs on their new cameras are not on the website has a 550TVL WDR using a "1/3" RGB Color DPS Sensor Pixim Orca D1500 Series ".

You going to call Panasonic a liar? 540TVL:

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/cctv/SpecSheets/WV-CP480%20series.pdf

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/cctv/SpecSheets/WV-CP280Series.pdf

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/business/security/WV-CL930_2A-032L.pdf

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/business/security/WV-CL930_2A-032L.pdf

I could also pull some more if you like.

Yes I agree alot of manufacturers will exagerate their specs or use the B/W TVL as the listed TVL. But to say that 520TVL is the max is insulting nearly every manufacturer in the industry. I recommend before calling someone's product specs a lie - try one and bench it yourself. I've personally sold more than 100 of the C600DN's and while I might get other complaints, the resolution was never one of them.

Another dude that believes everything he sees on a website or catalog.

Arm does not make anything.. they buy it in for the lowest possible price in China. Same stuff you buy all over the web for alot less.

What type/brand of CCD/DSP on this 620TVL camera?? What about effective pixel rating?? Don't know... thats because companies like ARM don't give this info. This should be enough to never buy from them.. but instead, you boys run to them and pay extra for a 480TVL cam..

Like I said before, I've got an 800TVL camera too... do you believe me?

better yet, I've got some cheap beach front property in Vegas for both of you...

You may not like what Phoenixad is saying but he is actually correct. There is a limitation and threshold to the TV lines. You might be pissed and not like it but its true.

Its actually sad when people actually get pissed and annoyed by a true statement and look for websites to back there claims. Look at Sony engineering and specs and there capabilities. How can you surpass TVL that a manufacturer cannot achieve? The same way I am communicating with you now. By writing whatever you want on the specs. Paper holds whatever you ask it to.

Samsung is the only reputable manufacturer that actually has TVL higher than 550TVL. But ..... I believe what phoenixad is saying that Sony cannot reach this threshold. This is what everyone for the most part sells. Sony has a MAX of 540 with there HQ1. They have an upcoming new CCD with more capability but thats not the point. The point is 600TVL ( color ) from sony is a no,no. I checked ARM and DeluxeCCTV and most, if not all, of the cameras are Sony CCD. You can tweak DSP but only so much and Sony does not come in over 540TVL for those Bullets, Domes or Full Size cameras that are displayed on those sites.

Ahh.. finally a worthy adversary (in northern). You are correct regarding Samsung and Panasonic. I was hoping someone had enough experience to bring this up.

Unfortunately, most of the cameras sold today (including all of the ones we are discussing) are Sony or Sharp. The Arm 600 is a Sony HQ1 rated at a max of 520~540TVL by every reputable manufacturer in the industry today. The explanation that Rory gave earlier on this thread was right on the money. Except for the that statement about not seeing a difference between 480TVL and 520TVL (HQ1), everything else is 100% correct. Your Arm 600 is a good camera, but it's not 600TVL.. it's 540TVL max.. still a lie... gotta call a duck a duck!

Thank you telespy for knowing the difference. These guys like going through life with blinders on... too sad.

Arm does not make anything.. they buy it in for the lowest possible price in China. Same stuff you buy all over the web for alot less.

What type/brand of CCD/DSP on this 620TVL camera?? What about effective pixel rating?? Don't know... thats because companies like ARM don't give this info. This should be enough to never buy from them.. but instead, you boys run to them and pay extra for a 480TVL cam..

better yet, I've got some cheap beach front property in Vegas for both of you...

Are u talking about Vert or Hor resolution ?

very good questions but we are discussing TV lines... not effective pixels.

I still would like to ask u

Hor TV lines or Vert TV Lines resolution are u talking about ?

Thx

Very good!! Finally.. a few guys that get it... its all about the pixels baby!

Just one example: (best way to spot a fake)

Sony 1/3 CCD Color Camera 520 TVL

• 1/3" SONY CCD High Resolution

• Super High Resolution 520TVL 0.001

Picture Elements: NTSC: 512(H) x 492(V)

Anyone see anything wrong with these specs?? This camera is 420TVL at best.

I can show you a bunch more, but why bother.. most good techs and distributors know that these things are out there and avoid them.

Now, who wants my "black list" of companies doing this??

The admin on this forum should do the same... create a black list!

Ahh.. finally a worthy adversary (in northern). You are correct regarding Samsung and Panasonic. I was hoping someone had enough experience to bring this up.

Unfortunately, most of the cameras sold today (including all of the ones we are discussing) are Sony or Sharp. The Arm 600 is a Sony HQ1 rated at a max of 520~540TVL by every reputable manufacturer in the industry today. The explanation that Rory gave earlier on this thread was right on the money. Except for the that statement about not seeing a difference between 480TVL and 520TVL (HQ1), everything else is 100% correct. Your Arm 600 is a good camera, but it's not 600TVL.. it's 540TVL max.. still a lie... gotta call a duck a duck!

Thank you telespy for knowing the difference. These guys like going through life with blinders on... too sad.

I wasn't going to say it but I've never believed the 600+ TVL either... I wasn't trying to argue that it's 600TVL but that 520TVL isn't the max. I am probably still going to buy one for myself just to test it. I've been curious for so long about what it really rates at.

Effective pixels is usually the best way to judge the resolution of the camera. There are too many ways to "cheat" on resolution. I was trying to find the article Pelco put out regarding resolution that explained some of the ways manufacturers cheat on testing resolution, but I can't find it now.

On a side note, anyone know the actual model for a Sony HQ-1 CCD? I've never seen anything from a true manufacturer(or Sony's website.) stating HQ-1.

This whole argument is entirely moot! 470/480TVL, 520TVL, 540TVL or 550TVL, the point is they are essentially the same and the slight extra resolution won't make one bit of difference in the recorded or monitored picture. I defy anyone to demonstrate a difference in either a recorded picture or a monitor's picture between them. We've tried them all and have yet to be able to clearly identify the suits of cards on a table!

That's not to say there are no differences between cameras of different manufacturers but all else being equal, the differences between the four resolutions is essentially undetectable. Now if you want to bring megapixel into the equation, then there is a difference.

That's not entirely accurate. ARM Electronics physically builds it's Windows based DVRs in house. I won't vouch on who's software they use, but the actual construction of the units is something they over see.

While some of the things you are saying are absolutely true, the bottom line is that it isn't 1999 anymore. The market is different, the way equipment is bought and sold is different. An influx of overseas equipment has changed the way we as an industry are going to have to do business. Throwing a little fit isn't going to make guys like Sanyo, A/D and Pelco the only players again.

Do I think it's right that these companies post "pseudo" correct specs? Of course not. But that's not going to change the fact that there are a million Speco/Viteks/ARM/insert companies around and many are here to stay.

If you hate the industry so much, you should probably just go find another one.

Hi boys!!

Sorry for the interlude.. had to take a break to visit ASIS in Atlanta or IP camera central as I call it.

Now where were we?

Good point survtech.. and I would add that even if the difference is minimal, I do not want to pay HQ1 (520~540TVL) prices and get SS-11X (470~480TVL) quality..also, there is a big difference in price for the components on the manufacturing side. I hope you see my point.

Now Chromatic... Way to go off subject dude! It's not the fact that you did as much as how you did it. PC based DVR?? really? Everyone makes these toys man... does that make everyone a manufacturer?? You take a "back seat" attitude to these unethical practices.. I can give you a history of camera specifications and why companies like Arm are so infuriating to me. unfortunately, you have already proven that you are a waste of time for me with your post. Maybe you should throw a little fit yourself every once in while.. you know, prove that you are alive and actually care. It's called passion.

If anyone need to get out of this industry, its people that see these problems and say nothing/do nothing.

Gday!

The spec says 512x492? I'm not even sure that works out to 420TVL. Every analog camera we use states 768x494, but the resolution rating varies from 470TVL to 540TVL, depending on the manufacturer.

We never worry about the TVL rating of any cameras we use. We've found that there is little, if any, difference in resolution between brands and models that have 768x494 pixels. Except for a very few situations where we do choose lower resolution cameras, that is all we buy.

We evaluate each camera's ability to handle specific tasks and lighting situations. We often test cameras in multiple applications: over table games, the reels of slot machines, overviews of gaming areas, entrance doorways where there is a high amount of back lighting and dark areas to see how well the AGC performs.

We also have other specific criteria: size is one; all of our indoor cameras are integrated domes or installed in domes. Since we have Pelco DF-5 in-ceiling and pendant domes in many areas, we can't use a standard-size box camera. We use either mini box cameras like the Pelco C10CH series or their predecessors (CCC13xx series) or cubes like the Ikegami ICD-505.

In new installations, we often install integrated domes like the Ganz ZC-D5000 series. It depends on the application. Some applications require defeatable AGC and the Ganz domes don't have a switch so we go back to the DF-5's with a seperate camera.

Every so often a manufacturer, distributor or integrator approaches us with a new and/or unique camera and we will obtain a demo and put it through its paces. If it works better than what we currently use and is cost-effective, we will buy the new product. Believe me, that doesn't happen very often!

The spec says 512x492? I'm not even sure that works out to 420TVL. Every analog camera we use states 768x494, but the resolution rating varies from 470TVL to 540TVL, depending on the manufacturer.

Yep thats what most of the 380-420TVL cameras specify as their total image pixels. Ofcourse many of the lower resolution cameras are OEMS and they hardly ever provide that spec anyway, so this is based off a brand like GE in this case.

Correction: Sony, who makes the CCDs and DSPs, rates all 512x492 cameras at 330TVL. Over the years, our industry has increased the TVL resolution to 380~420 for this CCD. TVL ratings are good if you have charts and can test the products.

My point is this: If you want 470~480TVL, you need 768x494 EP. If you want 520~540 TVL you need 768x494 with the HQ1 DSP.

All you have to do is look for manufacturers who actually write "HQ1" on the camera specs. This is easy to verify since Sony only makes one model of HQ1 DSP. Take a look at the DSP on the back of the camera board.. it should say "CXD3172AR". If doesn't, you just got swindled!

I know a few manufacturers that are not on the high end of the spectrum who take pride in correct specs for high resolution cameras. Yes, they cater to discerning customers that want to buy real technology versus exaggerated paper specs. Shany, Everfocus and Eclipse to name a few that have specs within range of reality.

My gripe is with companies like IC realtime, Cop, and Ateck who sell 512x492 (330~420TVL) cameras as High res 480TVL or higher. Sure, maybe they don’t know the difference, but I bet they do and just don’t care to lie. If you want proof, just visit their websites and check the specs.

Ikegami HC-240 1/2" 3-CCD video camera,

Canon BCTV f/1.8-16 zoom lens (plus 1.5X teleconverter),

and Telemetrics 51962 wireless camera housing/control assembly

In the 1990's it cost over $10,000

Effective number of pixels: NTSC: 492(V) x 772(H)

Horizontal resolution: 750 TVL Typical (NTSC & PAL-B)

That's still <0.4mp

I just bought this on ebay you can search for it to see pics.

It's a broadcast camera. It's a monster. the ptz alone weights about 40 pounds the entire unit weights 70 lbs (32kg) lens is 12" long

All ptz, focus, iris, video, etc, is through the coax.

Where should I post in cctvforum to ask for help controlling this beast?

It might end up being a giant dummy cam.

phoenixad,

As a newcomer to the industry I truly appreciate your cutting through the marketing BS.

Looking at the specs presented at some of these sites can apparently be very misleading.

I have some questions I'd like to ask you but my post count is to low for PM's still.. is there a way we can communicate?

Thanks to all here who work to keep the information clean from the marketing hype!

Ah, finally a subject I can contribute to! Have been reading this forum and learning from it for a while. Thought it made sense to register now and provide a mini-tutorial on the subject of resolution. By way of background, I an engineer with two decades of experience in analog/digital video (plus bunch more in other areas). So if some of this doesn't make sense, feel free to ask questions.

At high level, one can make any of the claims people make and be both right and wrong! The key thing to understand is that this is a rather complex situation. We have a digital imaging sensor paired up with analog transmission over a coax cable. One has to understand both components to know the full resolution of the system. So let’s start with the easier, digital part first.

The sensor today is a digital device meaning it has a specific resolution. The highest fidelity sensor for standard definition (SD) signal meant for NTSC transmission in US would have a resolution of 720x486 (some use 720x485 – don’t worry about the difference). This means that the sensor resolves 720 pixels horizontally and 486 vertically. This by the way, is the resolution of DVD if you watch it over a digital interface (e.g. HDMI/DVI) connected to a digital TV (LCD, etc.).

SD television is a “4:3â€