cctv_addicted

What is the highest CCTV camera resolution?

Hi, Please see these threads:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5523

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9543

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3012

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9035

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9225

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9001

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8775

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8092

To get right down to it, Highest Color is typically 500TVL and Highest BW is typically 600TVL. There are some 520-540 color cameras but they are digitized if anything as they have the same effective image pixels and the quality difference is barely noticeable from a 480TVL camera. Many color cameras these days spec their resolution at 520TVL though.

Covi has a camera that claims to be the highest resolution CCTV camera:

http://covitechnologies.com/products/analog

Other than that, you would need to go for Megapixel Network Cameras to get any really noticeable increase in quality.

Made this thread a sticky for now.

I guess that question requires more factors before answering, it depends if the .7 correction is taken into account and if oversampling has been done or if indeed it is a digital image (IP camera). I was under the impression that 570TVL was the Maximum , but it depends if we are talking horizontal or vertical resolution?

This is by far one of the most common security related questions I have run into. If you are interested in the details of camera resolution I highly recommend Vlado Damjanovski's latest CCTV & network video book, its excellent and authoritative. According to him the highest resolution attainable by a B/W analog camera is ~600 horizontal TVL. Colour cameras on the other hand will always be lower if you are comparing oranges to oranges. Naturally, of course, you can find a monochrome camera with a higher specified resolution than a colour camera. The highest colour resolution that I have seen quoted was for an unreleased Speco IR-bullet camera, but, you will typically come across cameras of upwards of 550 TVL of hor. res.

Dan

Thats the thing Greg

Are we talking HOR or VER lines,

Old skool really, ask any TV technician Or electronics tech,

You do notice better pics between

480, 520 and 570 tvl dont you

depends on the monitor to

Some other things to consider

1) Bear in mind we're talking about analog cameras here...in other words, the analog signal on the back of the camera.

2) Virtually all cameras can only produce a signal that's higher than 500-540TVL when using a S-VHS output instead of their composite (BNC) output - try this for yourself....with any camera that has a SVHS output...every single one that I've tried (this includes Bosch Dinion, GE UltraView, Siemens CCBX series, Kampro EVR/HDR series) has a noticeably sharper image on the SVHS output than on the BNC/composite output.

3) Length of cable run...if you run 15-20 metres or more of coax from the back of the camera to the DVR/monitor, degradation of the analog signal means you will struggle to tell the difference in absolute resolution between a 480TVL and 540TVL camera (assuming we're talking about equal quality cameras with equal quality lenses). Analog signals degrade with distance and that's just a fact.

Finally - consider WHAT happens to the camera signal once it gets to its destination.

1) Is it being recorded on a DVR? If so, at what compression level and resolution? If you record at 2CIF (like most DVR's do), then the playback image quality will be lower than the live signal. I can send you images captured off a 2CIF MPEG4 DVR at max quality that show a 330TVL camera is just as good as a 540TVL one...once you digitise it and compress it, the DVR becomes the limiting factor.

2) What's the resolution of the monitor you're using? Unless the monitor has a SVHS input and can display at least 500 TVL of resolutionl, you'll struggle to see any appreciable difference in resolution.

Try this: Get a DVD player (any brand) and grab any recent blockbuster movie, and connect it to your TV with the composite signal, then connect it using the SVHS signal. If you cannot see an appreciable difference in signal quality I'll be surprised.

Moral of this rather long discourse? Who cares what the theoretical resoluiton of the camera is....at the end of the day the real-life performance of the system depends on the rest of the signal chain.

The highest color cameras we sell are 600TVL. Talk about great resolution. We have never had a return on these cameras and are still going strong. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. Thanks

I am a new comer. To my understanding, now most of the camera over specify the figures. i.e. playing the figure game to attract customer. Of course it is not good to the market. Talking about the resolution, we better look into what the solution it is using. Say for example Sony SS11, most of the manufactures claim for 420 tvlines. But, if we look into the SONY specification, it only carries not more than 320 lines. Plus, some of the lines have been used and cannot be seen in the monitor. So, 570 tvlines. who could do that?? I am very curious as the solution which is SONY HQ1. Sony could only achieves arround 520 tvlines by using the SVideo output. 540,530,570 is only a joke.

Some other things to consider

1) Bear in mind we're talking about analog cameras here...in other words, the analog signal on the back of the camera.

2) Virtually all cameras can only produce a signal that's higher than 500-540TVL when using a S-VHS output instead of their composite (BNC) output - try this for yourself....with any camera that has a SVHS output...every single one that I've tried (this includes Bosch Dinion, GE UltraView, Siemens CCBX series, Kampro EVR/HDR series) has a noticeably sharper image on the SVHS output than on the BNC/composite output.

3) Length of cable run...if you run 15-20 metres or more of coax from the back of the camera to the DVR/monitor, degradation of the analog signal means you will struggle to tell the difference in absolute resolution between a 480TVL and 540TVL camera (assuming we're talking about equal quality cameras with equal quality lenses). Analog signals degrade with distance and that's just a fact.

Finally - consider WHAT happens to the camera signal once it gets to its destination.

1) Is it being recorded on a DVR? If so, at what compression level and resolution? If you record at 2CIF (like most DVR's do), then the playback image quality will be lower than the live signal. I can send you images captured off a 2CIF MPEG4 DVR at max quality that show a 330TVL camera is just as good as a 540TVL one...once you digitise it and compress it, the DVR becomes the limiting factor.

2) What's the resolution of the monitor you're using? Unless the monitor has a SVHS input and can display at least 500 TVL of resolutionl, you'll struggle to see any appreciable difference in resolution.

Try this: Get a DVD player (any brand) and grab any recent blockbuster movie, and connect it to your TV with the composite signal, then connect it using the SVHS signal. If you cannot see an appreciable difference in signal quality I'll be surprised.

Moral of this rather long discourse? Who cares what the theoretical resoluiton of the camera is....at the end of the day the real-life performance of the system depends on the rest of the signal chain.

Why do we not use the SVHS output than?

In reply to the question "why don't we use SVHS output then". Two things it is only certified upto something like 2 metres (so not very useful). Secondly and I'm just being a bit picky here but SVHS is a video recording tape or standard, the output on a camera is S-Video. S for separate video rather than composite video. S-Video uses two pairs of wires one with the lumninace the other the colour information. It's cleaner and so achieves better resolution.

In reply to the question "why don't we use SVHS output then". Two things it is only certified upto something like 2 metres (so not very useful).

I've used a dirt cheap 10metre S-VHS cable, gave perfect results over that length. I was going to do a test by hooking up more 10m cables together until signal degradation became obvious, but shop sold out, so never did.

Only thing of note, was that Dirt cheap 10m S-VHS cable gave stunning picture quality, dirt cheap 10m composite (non coaxial) video cable gives noticeably lower resolution and colour noise as expected from composite video, but also noticeable degradation over that 10 metre length.

Given that observation, I had wondered weather you could use a dual run of coaxial cable with Luminance on one, and chroma on the other, which might give equal or better range than composite on Coaxial cable. If that worked then it could also be done with a network cable and dual balun on each end.

In reply to the question "why don't we use SVHS output then". Two things it is only certified upto something like 2 metres (so not very useful).

I've used a dirt cheap 10metre S-VHS cable, gave perfect results over that length. I was going to do a test by hooking up more 10m cables together until signal degradation became obvious, but shop sold out, so never did.

Only thing of note, was that Dirt cheap 10m S-VHS cable gave stunning picture quality, dirt cheap 10m composite (non coaxial) video cable gives noticeably lower resolution and colour noise as expected from composite video, but also noticeable degradation over that 10 metre length.

Given that observation, I had wondered weather you could use a dual run of coaxial cable with Luminance on one, and chroma on the other, which might give equal or better range than composite on Coaxial cable. If that worked then it could also be done with a network cable and dual balun on each end.

Interesting, some one concurs this?

Hi Guys,

Could anybody help me to find european dealers for AVTech products?

Thanks

Hi folks this is my first post but just happened across this.

Try iview cameras

I have always thought it would be useful for CCTV companies to simply post their recorded videos for potential customers to view.

They could specify whatever DVR and compression settings were used. Length and type of cable used, composite-over-coax or S-Video. Show some resolution-test targets in the video.

Deluxecctv, any chance you can post such a sample video clip?

Hi Guys,

Thanks

May be this will help you sourcesecurity website --> products section

Hi Guys,

Thanks

I got my avtech 760's from apcconceptsonline . com (uk dealer via Ebay)

We carry a color camera that has 600TVL. It is great for night and day use. Hopefully this helps. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thanks

really? 600TVL??

well I have one with 800TVL for $49.99!! Top this lie!

Maybe you were not paying attention. The max is 520TVL with a specific DSP (I will not tell which) maybe you can tell us what CCD and DSP your 600TVL camera has?? Not sure??

Oh.. I went to you website.. turns out you have a bunch of cameras with proof of over clocked specs... Rooky mistake!

Too many of you guys out there today just writing any number on the specs.

Ok.. now run back to your site and try to figure out how I found out. If your good, you will find the inconsistencies before your unfortunate customers do.

really? 600TVL??

well I have one with 800TVL for $49.99!! Top this lie!

Maybe you were not paying attention. The max is 520TVL with a specific DSP (I will not tell which) maybe you can tell us what CCD and DSP your 600TVL camera has?? Not sure??

Oh.. I went to you website.. turns out you have a bunch of cameras with proof of over clocked specs... Rooky mistake!

Too many of you guys out there today just writing any number on the specs.

Ok.. now run back to your site and try to figure out how I found out. If your good, you will find the inconsistencies before your unfortunate customers do.

Wow, looks like someone sees a little bit of competition and has to toot their own horn. Where has this guy been in a closet for the past two years? Let me tell you something, you don't come on to the forums insulting people. That gets you no where but booted off the forums, second of all do your research Phoenixad….. If you read the beginning discussion of this forum cctv_addticted asked Hi guys.. Just want to know what’s the highest CCTV cameras resolution that you know..

Please leave a link here..

Thanks

We don’t carry the camera on our actual site, but do have it available. Perhaps you have heard of Arm Electronics??? No, probably because you really don’t know who is around these days in the CCTV industry. Here is the link to there 600TVL camera. http://www.armelectronics.com/page.aspx?p=27 After your done crying, you can leave another comment and add to your two sad and pathetic posts on the forums. Next time, do your research instead of looking bad in front of the whole forum community.

So... did you take down your site yet? I already told my other forum pals about your company and they are laughing their butts off with your camera specs!

Dude.. were did I toot my own horn??

Looking bad?? me??

Why would I get booted off the forum... for pointing out a disturbing trend of lies and deceet in our industry??

So... did you take your site down yet? I already told my other forum pals about your company and they are laughing their butts off with your camera specs!

You are right... I should be more civil. I am just tired of companies lying and exaggerating specs.

Looking bad?? me??

Why would I get booted off the forum... for pointing out a disturbing trend of lies and deceit in our industry??

Ok.. just as I expected..Pass the buck!! First you were like "we have" a 600TVL cams... (now you do a little back pedaling... "Arm has" a 600 TVL cams.... hilarious!!

I know Arm Electrics: They sell directly to your customers right? Great support huh? Their right up there with Super circuits, Swan, Mace and all the other retail brands. You keep sending them your orders, soon they will have products on the shelves of your local Best Buy.

Right.. you don't care.. your are just another "shopping cart" enabled site.

It's Ok though... I realize now that you don't know any better and believe everything you are told by the companies who's products you sell.

Please don't waste my time... I see right through everything you say!

So... did you take down your site yet? I already told my other forum pals about your company and they are laughing their butts off with your camera specs!

Looking bad?? me??

Why would I get booted off the forum... for pointing out a disturbing trend of lies and deceet in our industry??

So... did you take your site down yet? I already told my other forum pals about your company and they are laughing their butts off with your camera specs!

You are right... I should be more civil. I am just tired of companies lying and exaggerating specs.

Looking bad?? me??

Why would I get booted off the forum... for pointing out a disturbing trend of lies and deceit in our industry??

Ok.. just as I expected..Pass the buck!! First you were like "we have" a 600TVL cams... (now you do a little back pedaling... "Arm has" a 600 TVL cams.... hilarious!!

I know Arm Electrics: They sell directly to your customers right? Great support huh? Their right up there with Super circuits, Swan, Mace and all the other retail brands. You keep sending them your orders, soon they will have products on the shelves of your local Best Buy.

Right.. you don't care.. your are just another "shopping cart" enabled site.

It's Ok though... I realize now that you don't know any better and believe everything you are told by the companies who's products you sell.

Please don't waste my time... I see right through everything you say!

Why would we take down our site? I don’t know where you are coming up that fact that we have supposedly have “over clocked specsâ€