rory

MegaPixel Cameras - Images and Demos

I'd love to try the new Panny MP models... wanna send me one?

Yeah, the IQ is an Pelco EH3508 housing and is using a 2.5-7mm lens, probably set around 3-3.5mm, so it catches the 3508's sun shield in the top (was no point in setting it wider, all it gets is more of the shield).

I can get a better image from a $50 bullet.

Would you like to post some snapshots of your cameras Rory?

BTW, as much as I love the analog 484, I'm not really as impressed with the new analog 502....

Did you mean 504? The 502 is IP.

Best,

Christopher

I'd love to try the new Panny MP models... wanna send me one?

Yeah, the IQ is an Pelco EH3508 housing and is using a 2.5-7mm lens, probably set around 3-3.5mm, so it catches the 3508's sun shield in the top (was no point in setting it wider, all it gets is more of the shield).

Wait till you try to find a outdoor housing that works with the Theia lenses... I ended up using a crappy EMI flat front housing that is SUPPOSED to be for outdoors (yeah, right, NEMA 00, maybe), and a lot of silicone.... Even the EH2508 tube housing isn't wide enough.

BTW, as much as I love the analog 484, I'm not really as impressed with the new analog 502....

Did you mean 504? The 502 is IP.

Best,

Christopher

Yes, sorry, meant the WV-CW504S analog dome. Here's a couple of shots.

Day: 118971_1.jpg

Night: 118971_2.jpg

On these, the light is spilling over the wall they are mounted on... and here's where the lights are.

Day: 118971_3.jpg

Night: 118971_4.jpg

These are really difficult shots, I know. But I still expected a little more from the Panasonic's...

I can get a better image from a $50 bullet.

Would you like to post some snapshots of your cameras Rory?

I have over the years as i had the cameras here, but from client locations, no thanks, unless you are going to foot the legal fees when they sue me?

You can see a basic 4 year old 350TVL $50 color bullet here though: http://www.cctvfootage.com/video/Color-Bullet-and-AvTech-DVR

Same here: 50dollarbullet.jpg

something different, while over there:

http://www.cctvfootage.com/video/Day-Night-IR-Bullet-with-Extra

Point is, the cameras in the post that I replied to looked out of focus, or something, just dont look like 480+ TVL cameras. It may be the DVR, yes it would differ between the IP cameras and the CCTV cameras, as they are captured differently, but I dont know a I am not there. And seeing as we were comparing, I was just pointing out that they may not have been setup correctly yet. Point and case, not related, but if you focus a camera with a 5 or 7" LCD you will never get a good focus. All that to say, he already mentioned it was not setup yet.

You may just have a bad camera or lens, that looks worst then a low res cmos bullet.

You may just have a bad camera or lens, that looks worst then a low res cmos bullet.

If so, I have six of them.... One thing I noticed is that the auto backfocus seems to move the focus too much to the foreground at night, I may have to set a fixed focus setting... I don't have any defense for the video noise/graininess/lack of resolution, though. Going to try a Samsung WDR dome in the same spot to compare, when I get out there again.

If so, I have six of them.... One thing I noticed is that the auto backfocus seems to move the focus too much to the foreground at night, I may have to set a fixed focus setting... I don't have any defense for the video noise/graininess/lack of resolution, though. Going to try a Samsung WDR dome in the same spot to compare, when I get out there again.

I was just testing a SD3 Pano for someone, I couldnt get a good focus at all, really crappy image, I was surprised. The auto backfocus didnt do anything for it either, seems like just something else to go wrong. Though as its not new im putting it down to either bad camera or bad lens, I tried 2 lenses though, was no real difference, but the lenses were old also. Ive seen images from others that have used them though and they looked good, also I used a 484 box camera at a store door some time ago and it worked great also. I dont know what to say

I was just testing a SD3 Pano for someone, I couldnt get a good focus at all, really crappy image, I was surprised. The auto backfocus didnt do anything for it either, seems like just something else to go wrong.

When did you autoback focus? At dusk when switching modes, or when it was dark? It may perform better at dusk. Also, one nice feature of the Pana is the ability to set day and night focus presets, so you might try that as well once you are happy with the focus.

Best,

Christopher

I was just testing a SD3 Pano for someone, I couldnt get a good focus at all, really crappy image, I was surprised. The auto backfocus didnt do anything for it either, seems like just something else to go wrong.

When did you autoback focus? At dusk when switching modes, or when it was dark? It may perform better at dusk. Also, one nice feature of the Pana is the ability to set day and night focus presets, so you might try that as well once you are happy with the focus.

Best,

Christopher

Neither, I test in a controlled environment. Either way the image was bad. Something had to be wrong with the camera, Ive used the Pano before and It worked fine, never used that Autoback focus though, but even the Manual Backfocus did nothing.

Just talked to a regional rep for Panasonic..The general consensus about the new SD5 analog cams is OOPS, sorry, we blew it, this just isn't a good camera.

They are going to keep the SD3 (CP484, etc.) line going longer and try again.

I may change my installs with some of the SD5's back to SD3's if they take them back (they might).

For comparison, I grabbed a pict from the StarDot GG Bridge view and compared it to my CP484. This before dawn, some light in the sky, but still darkish. It is about a minute after the 484 switched to day mode. Gevovision card for the CP484. At this point all of my cameras are showing brightness similar to the CP484. I'm only comparing light levels here.

445646961_marincam.jpg.91a0b55eb69771f88a72e9a60c4a4be8.jpg

cp-484-1.jpg.de01666067250a2c85a38cb8f8b339c1.jpg

Wow.... what a difference! Had an IQ511 watching the street out front... slapped in a HiKvision DS-2CD852F to test... daytime, not bad... night-time, well...

Images have been resized to fit attachement constraints - the IQ is 1.3MP, HiK is 2.0MP

small-IQ-day.thumb.jpg.63aa2becd67f4a5569f8fe3abfb97c40.jpg

small-IQ-night.thumb.jpg.47c7c2c9782b3595081484886801a32b.jpg

small-hik-day.thumb.jpg.d1d0a1f7a298598db16fbd82843e1b28.jpg

Argh, attachment limits! Here's the HiK at night...

What strikes me is that there's no option (that I can see) in the HiK configuration screen for adjusting shutter speed. The IQ has settings for "Optimize Speed" and "Optimize Quality" as well as "Auto" and a range of pre-set shutter speeds. The HiK's sliders for contrast, brightness, saturation and hue, however, ARE much nicer than the IQ's method of just entering numbers from 0 to 1 - change number, apply change, see how it worked... lather, rinse, repeat.

I also couldn't find anywhere to set the time on the HiK. There's a section in the web config to set an NTP server, but it's greyed out. The HiK utility I got for it allows setting the IP only. The setup utility from 3xLogic that automates integration to the Vigil DVR, has a "Synchronize Time" function, but nothing that will let me set an NTP server, or manually set the time. Very strange. You'll note the embedded timestamp on the "day" image is way off - the HiK video starts shortly after the IQ frame (the last one before I swapped out the cameras).

Annoying that the HiK doesn't support PoE, either, so I had to run a power adapter to the housing. Hmmmmm.

small-hik-night.thumb.jpg.dbfd9ce9f68a2fecfe5e855670ea7349.jpg

Annoying that the HiK doesn't support PoE, either, so I had to run a power adapter to the housing. Hmmmmm.

Oh, one other thought on that (and this definitely falls into the "WTF?!" category: the HiK cameras (now Vigil-branded) have a 12VDC barrel jack for power, and come with a 12VDC, 1.5A switching power supply... *WITH WIRE TAILS*. NOT a barrel plug! I'll grant you the camera isn't often mounted close to the power source anyway, but they could at least include a barrel plug with tails as well!

Oh, one other thought on that (and this definitely falls into the "WTF?!" category: the HiK cameras (now Vigil-branded) have a 12VDC barrel jack for power, and come with a 12VDC, 1.5A switching power supply... *WITH WIRE TAILS*. NOT a barrel plug! I'll grant you the camera isn't often mounted close to the power source anyway, but they could at least include a barrel plug with tails as well!

Hi!

If you buy Hikvision branded then you get the barrel plug with tails, but OEM brands often choose due cost not to include!

JD