DinoSteel

Certification Required to Install Video Cameras?

I was told by a local vendor / contractor that in order for a contractor to install Video Camera’s that they need to be certified to do so.

My question is this, is there really a law requiring a cable / camera installer to be certified to install Video Cameras, and if so what is the certification called?

I have a feeling my vendor was blowing smoke but wanted to ask the professionals. I reside in Texas if this would make any difference.

Thanks for your response.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/alarm.pdf Texas law requires any person or company who provides investigations or security services in the state to be properly licensed to offer or to engage in such services. This requirements of law was originally passed by the Texas Legislature in 1969 and has been in effect ever since. To offer or provide a service required to be licensed without a license carries criminal penalties of up to a year in jail and a $4,000.00 fine.

Hiring or employing a unlicensed company also carries this penalty. info link:

http://www.tbfaa.org/html/licensing_info.asp#BALicensing

How about in NJ? In NJ they have a list of all certifications and licenses on their website. None of them include CCTV surveillance installation. For burgular and fire alarms yes.

I've seen a whole assortment of different types of companies installing CCTV ... they don't list licenses .... everything from Home Theater, Security, contractors, home automation and electricians with CCTV services ... true enough that Security (burgular alarm companies), contractors and electricians are licenesed ... but they are licensed in a specific discipline.

I've called local gov't municipalities, lawyers and the state gov't but none could specify a license for CCTV .... they do mention burgular alarms, electricians and the such .... Of course to do business in this state you have to be registered as a company. That is all they could confirm.

Just trying to do due diligence. If anyone knows for sure can they link the statute... Thanks.

Your welcome Dinosteel, Wizcam, Been outa the North East for awhile but fairly certain in New Jersey electrical work must be done by a licensed electrical Contractor, anything with a potential of more than 10 volts there are exemptions (http://www.nj.gov/lps/ca/laws/ElectricLaw.pdf )if you abide the rules in the exemption you can perform work that falls under but is not limited to NEC article 800. Example: 45:5A-18 Exempt work or construction. But be aware there are towns and counties where a permit must still be pulled along with a inspection dependent where you are located, so its always good to check local.

Lolo Wolf is right about NJ Law, I had a run in with a town (Which shall remain nameless) electrical inspector and from the speech i got . I left there thanking god my partner is a licensed electrical contractor.

HI, I just read that some states require licensing to install cctv equip as a business. Is New York one of those states? Where could I find out that info? Thanks, Fred

Division of Licensing Services

84 Holland Ave.

Albany, NY 12208-3490

Phone: (518) 474-4429

Fax: (518) 473-6648

E-mail: licensing@dos.state.ny.us

License Types:No individual may engage in the business of installing, servicing or maintaining security or fire alarm systems or hold him or herself out as being able to do so unless he or she is licensed by the State of New York.

Security or Fire Alarm Installer

Your welcome, also check with local building codes as New York, its counties and City proper have varied municipal enforcement by region.

Well yeah....I quess we lose the pucker factor as time goes by....A great Irishman said it well.. "youth is wasted on the young"...George Bernard Shaw regards

A friend and I do some cat 5 work here in Texas and are looking into doing CCTV jobs.

Do we need a license to do this work and if so what specific license is required to hook 4 cameras to a DVR for customers???

Tbar

The very first reply is for TX.

I have read through the post and the corresponding TXDPS site and they do not specifically say what license is required.

I was hoping some one could pin point it for me.

Tbar

The very first reply is for TX.

I have read through the post and the corresponding TXDPS site and they do not specifically say what license is required.

I was hoping some one could pin point it for me.

Tbar

We have determined that a class B license is required.

This is a very complicated, confusing bureaucratic gauntlet to negotiate. Its a real shame we have to recreate the wheel here.

We want to get our license and not have work under the radar.........just wanted some one that has gone through it before to give mentoring information. Step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4, etc.........

Tbar

State laws for alarm contractors are good things and working under the radar in the state of Tennessee will get you a $5000.00 fine for your effort. I have turned people in for not having the proper papers. We go to classes, we need to know the state laws as it deals with cctv, we have to have insurance to cover our work. So there are proper ways to get in the cctv busness I would ask you do things proper or just try to work in Arkansas not only will they fine you, they will take your car and lock you up in jail.

So no one is willing to help..........

Thought that was what these forms were for.

Tbar