brettg

License Plate Setup

At work we need to setup a license plate camera to record cars entering our parking lot. The problem is the entrance to our lot is at least 65 feet from the closest tip of our building where we would mount it, and it's not at the best angle. I've attached an image with an aerial view of our parking lot.

I love the idea of a speedbump cam. Unfortunately, I don't think a speedbump would really work well in our lot, and we also have a lot of trucks traveling through our lot to get to our shipping dock.

We do have a small island near the entrance to our parking lot, with a large structure with a sign on it. Unfortunately, it would be difficult to mount a camera here at a usable height and not have it be a target for vandalism.

We also considered putting in an automatic security gate, as we also have a good deal of temporary employees that park in this lot without permission. We'd probably be able to mount the camera on that gate. However, we get a lot of deliveries to our shipping dock and it wouldn't be possible for them to enter.

Anybody have any ideas? Would the REG-L1 be able to capture license plate images reliably from a distance, especially at night?

Parking-Lot-Island-Sign.jpg.3adf770d4c19b091fc0dc4f0b103be5a.jpg

Parking-Lot.thumb.jpg.5585c83f4eab53b907bcb8d805c13e3e.jpg

The REG-LI-875-XE 75mm claims it will capture plates from up to 75' in any lighting conditions, however I have never used it. I also believe it is being discontinued and is pretty expensive. The angle from the corner of your building may also be to great as these cameras work best from more direct angles. Do you have power and the ability to run cable to the sign? If so I would probably try to mount it in there or on it. I believe there was a license plate capture camera listed on here in the classifieds, don't know if its a good one and I think it would need to be mounted in an enclosure. Maybe you could get a vandal proof one and use something like that?

Anybody have any ideas? Would the REG-L1 be able to capture license plate images reliably from a distance, especially at night?

The short answer is Yes and Yes...

This hardware is no nonsense performer. Delivers goods day or night...

I remember Rory (one of our admins in this forum) had shown some outstanding pictures shots... If someone can find them, that will help...

By the way, where is Rory? I have not seen him in the forum or reading his articles for a while? We need Rory for the rescue...

It is expensive and there is no questions about it. But if you have to have the ultimate solution, nothing comes any close...

There may be a chance to come close to this performance using hardware from different manufacturers... By the time the list comes together and the installation complete, the cost basically will be the same.

If you want a list of hardware that potentially can give you this type of performance, let us know. It will be combination of hardware from Panasonic, Pentax and possibly housing from another manufacturer and then you have to put them together (more labor and tinkering).

Rory had an internet blowout, but he is back on line now.

I think his palm frond wind generator must have lost it's foilage!!

LOL!

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm hesitant to try a cheap camera, especially if I do it at a long range, just because I know it probably won't work well. I checked out Rory's post, he's pretty much sold me on that camera. Maybe I'll see if I can get his input on my situation. Unfortunately, the pictures weren't showing in his posts... is that because they were hosted somewhere else?

some example shots from REG-L. Cant remember the model off hand but it was the basic one used for gate entrances. I cant find extreme's website anymore, looks like bosch messed it up and i have no patience to go searching through their website.

102966_1.jpg

102966_2.jpg

102966_3.jpg

102966_4.jpg

You want the car to be as close to the camera as possible, or to use a zoom lens (telescope) to get up on the car.

You will need something to slow the vehicle down such as a speed bump. Gates are great for a choke point. You do not want the car to be driving fast past the cameras.

You also do not want the cameras to be pointing at the road with a 45 degree angle. You will want the camera to be looking more down the road straight at the plate to make it work.

wow those are really nice pictures but how far from the vehicles was that camera? just curious

that camera was mounted on a post right where you see it, give or take a couple feet for the lens. Its the basic REG-L camera with their standard lens of like 4mm. Cars stop at the gate so there was no need for anything more. Extreme has other REG cameras with longer IR and longer zoom lenses. On a side note, Lighting fried this camera and its replacement, not sure what they have there now as it wasnt my client to begin with, I just helped with the initial install.

I am going to go out on a limb here are suggest a Arecont Megapixel camera at location #2. You could us the 3105DN with a IR illuminator and with a 50mm lens you will have a FOV of 26ft at 150ft feet out with a pixel density of 50 which is more then enough to read license plates Do you plain on using LPR software?

Eclipse ECL-640 should do the trick. 540 tvl, IRC, 5-50 mm lens, 120' IR projection. The reason this works is because you can adjust the AGC and IR intensity level to give the perfect exposure of a license plate at the distance you want it. I would mount it on the corner just above location #2. Location #1 is a bad angle

any long range IR cam will fail at night, will be ok during the day.

the IP cam Idea is better if you can get it on the right angle. [and have enough illumination IR or spotlights]

nothing beats a ANPR camera for this otherwise you will just get whiteout

at night.

A combo of both would be good 2x ANPR 2x IP and a overview camera.

I am in the process of designing my own ANPR cameras will post the results [one day]

z

below is a link to the bosch plate cams and the unofficial prices. I am still looking around for license plate options and these are a couple options I have come accross

http://www.dedicatedmicrosus.com/?id=246

http://products.boschsecurity.us/en/TAMS/products/bxp/CATM4ee759c007a61cbce559f31fd53d9314

REGZ18050X000E01

REG-Z1 SINGLE CAMERA 50MM, 40-68FT, NTSC

$3,647.70

REGZ18050XC00E01

REG-Z1 DUAL CAMERA 50MM, 40-68FT, NTSC

$5,270.40

REGZ18075X000E01

REG-Z1 SINGLE CAMERA 75MM, 55-80FT, NTSC

$3,647.70

REGZ18075XC00E01

REG-Z1 DUAL CAMERA 75MM, 55-80FT, NTSC

$5,270.40

REGZ18100X000E01

REG-Z1 SINGLE CAMERA 100MM, 85-120FT, NTSC

$3,647.70

REGZ18100XC00E01

REG-Z1 DUAL CAMERA 100MM, 85-120FT, NTSC

$5,270.40

http://[/url]http://

Do the Bosch license plate cams take a single image of each plate, or is the video continuous?

Is the IR continuous or does it flash when the vehicle is at the correct distance?

Does the software include OCR capable of creating a list of identified plates?

Best,

Christopher