DataAve

Dealers/Distributors

yeah they sell them IRIE nuts ... makes yah irie, its all natty dreads (wannabe dirty rastas) that sell them on da street here dred ..

Right, Rory.... How many fingers do you see?

i bought a 16 camera i view from a local dealer,because if i had a problem i can go to him. right,,....well what i learned was that the computer is too small, i can not get the current updates to work, and i am not so sure they know that much more then me about video security. so now i want to do another location why should i bother with a local dealer when i will have to fix it myself????

i don't think that there is one person on this forum that has purchased something and then learned that there was better for the money. it's called a lesson in life. i've got a closet full of camera's i thought were great and guess what, i learn that i have to be knowledgable in this biz to survive. knowledgable not only in my stuff, but in my competetors stuff, to make sure i am the best thing since...........

and guess what, not everyone who sells is honest.

my question to you is; did you go back and voice your problem to the dealer who sold you your stuff? i think he is owed a chance to do right. and i find it hard to believe that a local would stiff you since his reputation is on the line. sounds to me like you went with what you thought was the best deal and got less than AFTER you got smarter. if you truely got stiffed then you can goto his supplier and tell your story to them. but, tell this guy you are going to do that ONLY after you give him a chance to do right.

and then i could go over the laws that protect you, the consumer......and i know you had more than enough time to take it back or complain. just be honest and allow him to respond.

Slats, I don’t mean to hammer on you because it took me a long time to figure out my computer wasn’t big enough to host the GeoVision card I wanted.

Building a CCTV system is not a typical consumer-type process and that’s probably why you can’t buy quality CCTV gear at the Home Depot or Circuit City. However, you’ll discover that this forum is your best resource to help you through the process. You’ll have to learn a lot of details and make major investments on the faith that most what you read in this forum is true. Even then you will most likely make expensive mistakes. Building a CCTV system is a time-consuming process that takes a lot of detailed research. You can minimize the errors if you check and double-check the specs and ask questions here about the equipment you’re interested in before making the investment. I’m afraid the best you can expect from most suppliers is to answer an occasional question and to make good on a replacement if the unit they sent you failed.

vst-man; the dealer was aware of all the problems allalong,my point is i think in this case and this application the dealer screwed up and did not want to resolve it or did not know how to,at a minimum he should have known that the computer was to small to handle 16 cameras. hell he is in the bussiness. after reading this board i fell i can do it better. money was not in question in this application,in fact i said i would rather pay more to use a local dealer.also i think the dealer was shooting from the hip and was somewhat new to video. i am not mad at him, but will be hard pressed to do another system with him

Your situation is indeed unfortunate in that the board is probably ok but the computer platform is inadequate. This is an ongoing problem in the security industtry with the easy availability of DVR cards being built by uninformed dealers.

This is one reason why embedded systems, although not as feature rich as PC based systems, have taken off like wildfire and are starting to become the defacto DVR for most simple installations. DM made their fortune by selling an albeit simple and even expensive embedded system but one that worked and they blew away the base of poorly constructed PC DVRs that were out at the time.

Perhaps you can upgrade your computer and there are people on the forum that are very good in analyzing problems with a compter and helping you to find the right components to make your DVR work.

Perhaps you can upgrade your computer and there are people on the forum that are very good in analyzing problems with a compter and helping you to find the right components to make your DVR work.

Isn't there a locked thread here for that, since they must make a living?

...and bryan1656, I find that hard to believe, a company wasting time like sueing for that.

Your situation is indeed unfortunate in that the board is probably ok but the computer platform is inadequate.

I think slats means the actual physical size, as the Iview card is large.

Slats, what was the issue? I have a card here and have been all through it, anything I can help you with?

Rory

the computer has 4 cards for i view=16 cameras when they record there is a time laps between clips, it might be anywere from 4 to 50 seconds.( i was going to try another computer,faster processor and more memory) i think the computer has a celeron in it.not sure.i defrag weekly and clear all clips 3-4 days. i am using xp.

SLats

never defrag your drive partition that your store your video data on. video is recorded fragmented, so you are actually extending your seek times by creating file seperation. A combination of this and the celeron with 128k cache is probably your problem.

scottj

the computer has 4 cards for i view=16 cameras when they record there is a time laps between clips, it might be anywere from 4 to 50 seconds.( i was going to try another computer,faster processor and more memory) i think the computer has a celeron in it.not sure.i defrag weekly and clear all clips 3-4 days. i am using xp.

Whats the PC specs? check the System icon in the Control Panel.

Im using a 2.0 Ghz Celleron with 256MB DDR with no issues. I also have a 128MD DDR Radeon Card for display, though that doesnt effect the recording. Ofcourse I dont have 16 cameras and I have the 1 x 8 channel 120fps card which gives me real time on the couple cameras I do have.

Which 4 channel cards do you have? Also, how is your recording set up, etc?

Rory

never defrag your drive partition that your store your video data on.

Poppy****. I have done this hundreds of times without issue.

DaveAve,

I understand your frustration about the Dealers Forum aka "Good Ole Boy's Club" being closed. Forums are generally formed to share information and you think dirty deals are being done in that section.

Well, as an end user myself, I can tell you that nothing is discuss in there that is not also discussed in the open forums; with the exception of dealer prices. The price that a distributor/manufacturer gives a dealer should not be public knowledge for many reasons. The most beneficial pieces of information on this site are in the open forums; the dealer forum is actually pretty dead. To be honest I rarely go there myself, the other forums are just more interesting.

As Herminshs mentioned in another thread, I am an end user who was looking for a system to install and I could not find a site that I could go to just to ask questions. So I hired a designer and put this site up. I appreciate the professionals who take time out of their busy day to answer questions that are asked here. I got lucky and stumbled upon Geovision which has it's issues, but isn't bust either. I would have liked to have heard other options though.

I hope you atleast find value in the forums that you have access to.

I agree, the dealer forum is rarely used, the majority if not close to all the valuable posts, are outside of that forum.

Basically, it is used for Dealers to post links, info and pricing on distributer -> dealer related issues. Obviously if that was available to the general public the dealers would not have any business

I understand your frustration about the Dealers Forum aka "Good Ole Boy's Club" being closed. Forums are generally formed to share information and you think dirty deals are being done in that section.
I am not "frustrated". I never thought or incinuated this, "dirty deals". Again I say, Why can't common folk discuss pricing. You DEALERS and DISTRIBUTORS have your own LOCKED THREAD where YOU discuss pricing...to see if you are getting ripped off-find better pricing. Apparently, the rest of us are allowed to get ripped off by dealers/distributors. I thought this was a forum of PUBLIC viewing where pros and non-pros can discuss CCTV-which includes one of the most important factors, PRICE! Not just the PRICE of DVR's, the pricing of jobs, cameras, installer pricing?

So where does us mere mortals fit in, that we can not discuss pricing? It is one (if not THE ONE) of the most primary considerations of a system? No logic.

Actually....DataAve is correct from a Non-Dealer perspective. PRICE is the most determining factor in choosing a system. Now from a Dealer/distributor perspective the most important factor is the amount of potential liability a system will deminish...PRICELESS

This is what seperates the end user customers from the Dealers...Sales 101

Then again, some of us dealers save time by not defraging our hard drives hundreds of times. Last I heard, that was Poppy****...haha (Only kidding DataAve)

scottj

Godammit, Datadave, there is no problem in discussing end-user pricing for equipment. You need to understand that this site is an informational site, but it got so big do quick that it also became a, how do I put it, a international Chamber of commerce. MAny of us, (and I would like to know who agrees with me), have found this board to be a inreplasable tool to our business. I had no idea, for example, who powertellecomm was, or who some taiwanesse brands where, the same way that the great majority of you never knew who I-VIEW was, which is why a lot of OEM'S and distributors (no names) are looking to get rid of the GEOCRAP and get on with I-VIEW.

The reason for the dealer section is because someone (I think "dvr_australia, now "cctv_australia") sugested it, and we all agreed that we needed a section only for us where we get to discuss not ONLY prices, but business ideas and different types of projects that we work on, plus other things that DO NOT BELONG in the public view.

And to say the last thing, not personally to you, but to EVERYBODY IN GENERAL, because this is the 5th thread today that I had to type to explain why we have a locked dealer section, and I'm sorry for being so blunt..................

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T COME IT'S NEVER GOING TO CHANGE

AND THAT'S THE FINAL WORD ABOUT WHY WE HAVE A DEALER SECTION.

Godammit, Datadave, there is no problem in discussing end-user pricing for equipment. You need to understand that this site is an informational site, but it got so big do quick that it also became a, how do I put it, a international Chamber of commerce. MAny of us, (and I would like to know who agrees with me), have found this board to be a inreplasable tool to our business. I had no idea, for example, who powertellecomm was, or who some taiwanesse brands where, the same way that the great majority of you never knew who I-VIEW was, which is why a lot of OEM'S and distributors (no names) are looking to get rid of the GEOCRAP and get on with I-VIEW.

The reason for the dealer section is because someone (I think "dvr_australia, now "cctv_australia") sugested it, and we all agreed that we needed a section only for us where we get to discuss not ONLY prices, but business ideas and different types of projects that we work on, plus other things that DO NOT BELONG in the public view.

And to say the last thing, not personally to you, but to EVERYBODY IN GENERAL, because this is the 5th thread today that I had to type to explain why we have a locked dealer section, and I'm sorry for being so blunt..................

IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T COME IT'S NEVER GOING TO CHANGE

AND THAT'S THE FINAL WORD ABOUT WHY WE HAVE A DEALER SECTION.

Give it to him