Fa chris. you do know that while you are walking down a street that has cameras the operator does not have a clue who you are. so how can it be an invasion.

How did they catch the guy in the story above then? If you install a system with the intent of catching criminals, you're going to have a method to track down the people otherwise the whole system serves no purpose other than, like I said before, voyeurism.

most street cameras in america can be logged into by anyone. am 3500m away from DC but i can log in to any of there cameras just as i can in NY/NC/SC florida atlanta. they are put in with your money for you to also use. going on a long drive .... look at traffic (beat the jams)

Primary purpose of traffic cameras are to monitor... traffic. They have a purpose other than monitoring people, if they catch something or someone in the act of a crime, that's fine by me. Stuff caught incidentally by systems purposed for other reasons I have no problem with. Spending billions with the specific intent to watch free citizens wherever they are...

I watch traffic cameras in my city too, they don't have enough detail to identify one vehicle from another. The ones mounted on traffic lights on the other hand you can watch for specific vehicles if you want too.

you know i was thinking , how anyone would not like the idea of cameras in the public arena, then i remembered the recent murder that took place about a week ago in NYC, the murder involved a small little 8 year old boy, just in case you haven't heard about the case, the boy was on his way home from day camp, he had been asking his mom to let him walk home by himself a distance of approx. 7 blocks, and she agreed to let him walk a few blocks by himself, and she would meet him half way between home and day camp...

well the little boy got confused on his way home, and asked a man for help, the man offered the boy a ride home, but the boy never made it,,,about 3 days later, parts of the boys body was found in a dumpster, and the rest of the boys body, specifically his feet were found in the refrigerator of the man who offered him help when he got lost...

the way they found out who was the man who took the boy, and murdered him, and cut him up...was through video from a CCTV camera that was placed in an area to monitor the street...

so don't tell me any crap about your privacy, this little boy was slaughtered, and if not for the camera, this POS would and could still be on the street to do this again...

heres a link to story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/police-volunteers-search-for-9-year-old-hasidic-brooklyn-boy-who-vanished-while-walking-home/2011/07/13/gIQAaByyBI_story.html

I'm well aware of the story. So the knee jerk reaction is to spend billions in a massive CCTV system to catch these one off situations that occur every once in a great while? What if the slaughter had been captured on tape and was now available on youtube thanks to a CCTV system being hacked?

We ended up with the TSA and homeland security thanks to these same types of half assed attempts to "feel" secure without actually being secure.

If we all had our GPS bracelets they could've found the kid immediately before he was harmed... we all put a different value on privacy. Don't try to blame me for a kid's death because I'm against a CCTV system monitoring all public areas.

no one is blaming you for the boys death...

i am just stating a FACT, if not for the cameras, the identity of the killer might have gone unknown....

and i haven't heard ONE person say we need more cameras due to boys death, you say you are aware of case, if you did have any knowledge of case, you would know it was a private owners camera that captured killers image, not a big brother camera, the ones you seem to fear...its ok, i am sure they are not watching you, you can remove the aluminum foil from your hat, you are safe, relax, go for a nice walk, oh, wait , a camera might see you...LOL

no one is blaming you for the boys death...

i am just stating a FACT, if not for the cameras, the identity of the killer might have gone unknown....

and i haven't heard ONE person say we need more cameras due to boys death, you say you are aware of case, if you did have any knowledge of case, you would know it was a private owners camera that captured killers image, not a big brother camera, the ones you seem to fear...its ok, i am sure they are not watching you, you can remove the aluminum foil from your hat, you are safe, relax, go for a nice walk, oh, wait , a camera might see you...LOL

I know it was a private camera, I only make those connections because the point was brought up in this thread that people think a massive cctv system monitoring all public places to catch criminals is a good idea (and I whole heartedly disagree). I'm in the CCTV business, no issues with private cameras or cameras used for useful purposes. Just don't think we need to spend money on surveillance to take the general public one step closer to a police state.

I think there's some ethics involved when placing cameras, largely including what their purpose is. I could care less if my neighbor puts up 30 cameras watching every inch of his property, our shared fence, his driveway, even his mailbox in front of my house. I'm going to have an issue if he points one at my backdoor though. (This is just an example, I don't actually have a neighbor with a massive cctv system.)

I've used Barco video walls for similar applications of viewing lots of analog cameras at the same time. Might be a dated solution nowadays though.

why do you do the work if you dont like cctv.

How did they catch the guy in the story above then? If you install a system with the intent of catching criminals, you're going to have a method to track down the people otherwise the whole system serves no purpose other than, like I said before, voyeurism.

i think you are Anti cctv because you dont understand how it is used or works.

in the case above the cctv gave the police a starting point to find the child as they knew the street the child was to walk down. so you start from that point. (the start of evidence collection) and in the case above it was the guys car that gave him away.

but evidance collection from cctv can do alot more.

Spending billions with the specific intent to watch free citizens

use the link to work it out. http://www.online-calculator.com/ billions used on CCTV, yes each person pays from there taxes but what do you think it would cost to have a police officer on every street 24/7 365 days. i think you will find your taxes will have to go up alot.

I'm not anti-cctv at all, but I believe there's a lot of ethics involved in our industry which some people appear to ignore in order to make a dollar.

I'm not anti-cctv at all, but I believe there's a lot of ethics involved in our industry which some people appear to ignore in order to make a dollar.

well, just in case your tired of earning monies from the CCTV field, you could always look for a job selling the items in the following link, you can kill two birds with one stone...

1.) you can get out of a field that has a lot of paranoid people, or installers just looking to make a buck...

and,

2.) you can help those people who don't want to be identified by big brother, while in public....

heres that link:

http://www.costumestore.com/

I dont know about everyone else, but I like when the cameras I install get violent criminals locked up who have stabbed or shot someone, I really dont jump for joy when they catch a shoplifter.

How is this different from any other industry? In fact, many others are FAR worse in this regard. Still no point in ranting against the entire industry for the sake of the few proverbial bad apples.

I am not keen when CCTV is used for parking enforcement and not monitored at night as a crime prevention tactic.

To me this is using CCTV against the community and not to benefit it.

One example of this is using the tax payer's money to buy these Smart Car parking enforcement CCTV units to benefit

local government purse and no other reason.

These units could easily be used to monitor civil disobedience at events, but local government say no that is the job of police and we cannot use these vehicles as the operative is at risk from rioters.

369225811_f69cf2bef3-1.jpg

Europe has some wierd and dumb ways of using CCTV...

Why do they get so freaked out about parking! How were they allowed to spend the money on that silly vehicle!?

Bureacratic W@nk@rs. One good strong wind and it would probably topple over.

Still someone is making a fortune creating these monstrocities.

These cars are the LATEST craze among local authorities and I learned that my local council

have just bought one for parking enforcement, the first in the NW region.

If one of these turned up in my neighbourhood the crims would laugh their socks off.

Edited by Guest

that car wouldnt last long here

actually they rent those to tourists here ... but that camera would be gone in a flash!

and to get the camera, they'd just take the whole car and strip it.

btw whats the crims, is that like a UK version of the crips?

that car wouldnt last long here

actually they rent those to tourists here ... but that camera would be gone in a flash!

and to get the camera, they'd just take the whole car and strip it.

btw whats the crims, is that like a UK version of the crips?

Criminals ... unless you were being funny then... HAHA

Looks like a mini sub thats taken a wrong turn

Some hairy @rsed gang mmmber might use it as a hammer if he turned it up the other way

Edited by Guest

nah i was serious

id just call them tugs and punks

nah i was serious

id just call them tugs and punks

Duh Same ting guy !

Crims being short for criminals, but includes wrong doers, miscreants bums and generally any undesireables.

OR anyone you wouldn't like roaming your neighbourhood. Well maybe not police....

The most noticeable problem with that smart car is the steering column is on the wrong side.

its also parked on the wrong side of the road, and on a straight line

Honestly, what is the need for the car when you can just have a policeman walking down the street like they are supposed to be. When I was in NY there was one on almost every block! I felt safe there.

I'd like to see that car meet the front of a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually, lets just say you wouldn't need a casket, i remember seeing those Smart cars in Italy about 7 years ago, while there for a WSB Race, and thinking, that they would never be legal for use on American Roads, was i wrong, you would never see me in one of those death traps...

The most noticeable problem with that smart car is the steering column is on the wrong side.

Thats no problem just invert the picture and it'll be on the other side

I'd absolutely refuse point blank to operate CCTV from one of those things. Allow me a little "street cred"

its also parked on the wrong side of the road, and on a straight line

I would say they can park where the hell they like without worrying, who is gonna give em ticket?

Anyway the lines are poorly maintained and it has to be a "continuous yellow line" to be enforceable.