Numb-nuts

Mosquito' It's not CCTV I know but....

For a long time now I have wanted to drive away the youths that loiter around my house.

Installing CCTV and placing the camera's overtly so they are obvious has worked to improve

their behavior, but they are still a worry as you never know what they will do next.

Today, I bought a "Mosquito" sound generator. It generates ultrasonic NOISE @17khz

a level at which most people over 20 yo will not hear. It is a noise however after a short period

of time it starts to become irritating to the point of discomfort, but does no damage to ears.

So by pointing it toward the alley, any youths passing through the alley will hear it but will not

be irritated by it, those that loiter however will soon start to feel irritated to the point of not

being able to tolerate the noise and moving away somewhere else.

My feeling about this is that the location is an alleyway, they have a right to pass through it but

no good reasn to loiter and cause trouble, making me and my neighbours uncomfortable and

on edge, therefore I feel justified in taking measures to make sure if they do loiter they are

made to feel uncomfortable. The alley goes alongside a retirement home, most residents

retire to bed about 21:45 - 23:00 and want peace and quiet. These youths often throw eggs

at the retirement home's windows, mine too.

These units cost about £600.00 about $980.00 after tax. Expensive? You bet but I got mine

secondhand from ebay and paid just £210 about $350.

My only worry is how I will know it's working, I won't be able to hear it as I am 55 yo?

I will just have to find a friendly teenager to try it out on.

Anyone have any Comments?

home-1.jpg

Yea, find a teen to test it.

BTW if anyone wants to do a little DIY work, you can make these with a recorder and a smallish speaker. Use the software Audacity to generate a 14KHz - 20KHz tone. Record it, and set the recorder to repeat!

Put it up to your computer mic, record it, then upload it to youtube .. will see if we can hear it

I wonder if that would work on a dog? I have a client that has a dog that keeps going up the gate and she wants it to stay away, tried a motion with voice to tell it leave but that didnt seem to work, the dog likes the dog trainers voice ..

Thanks for that Tom

This one seems to work the best and I am guessing it's closer to 34khz as I can hear it, but it gives the best idea of what the teens should be experiencing. I set it to loop and it didn't take more than a minute to really become disturbing

Try this one and loop it

As for trying it on dogs, if you wanna spend $1000 finding out....is it worth it?

Better to move the speaker to the house and train the dog to expect a treat every-time it responds to the message I think that might be more effective.

I will report what results I get with it after I have received it and installed it, and of course seen some youths to try it on.

I haven't seen any this weekend, not a single one. Mind you, it's been raining and it is quite cold, but nothing like Irene.

I hope al you chaps and your families in the path of the storm are bearing up under the starin and that you don't suffer too much.

I'll be interested to see see if that deters them. Little schmucks with nothing better to do will take the time- all the time it takes- to seek and destroy that thing. And I'm not sold most teens can hear that. Most of the ones I know, including me when I was a teen some 30 years ago, already have impared hearing for loud headphones, concerts, and in my case- add being in a rock band too. Hope it works for you though. Keep us posted.

Btw- what's the minimum/maximum distance that thing is effective?

Dan

Wow am I going deaf, how come a 24 year and younger can hear a sound I cant hear?

I can hear the one for 30 and younger though, and im 40 now.

For a long time now I have wanted to drive away the youths that loiter around my house.

Installing CCTV and placing the camera's overtly so they are obvious has worked to improve

their behavior, but they are still a worry as you never know what they will do next.

Have you tried a cell phone jammer yet?

Surely once they loose reception they would move somewhere else?

Kids today cant live without a cell phone (future brain tumor cases).

Thanks for that Tom

This one seems to work the best and I am guessing it's closer to 34khz as I can hear it

You probably meant to say 3 or 4 kHz

Human can not hear above 18-20 kHz ( depend on age and other factors)

You could be right about that.

I am only repeating what I heard on TV, but it's academic now. The point was that as we get older, our hearing ability drops-off and "in general" people above a certain age (20) cannot hear the range of frequency this device emits.

The female youths turn up first and can be seen texting the others who stsrt to turn up very soon afterwards.

I had considered a cellphone jamming device but I have neighbours that no longer use a house phone and only have cellphones and it might place them in danger if they ever needed to call a doctor or emergency services.

I suppose I could always cut the youths thumbs off?

The effective range of the Mosquito is about up to 35m however I imagine at 35 m the effectiveness has dropped-off significantly. I imagine the subject's level of intoxication may have some effect too, but this is all speculation, there is nothing like trying the device out and getting a feel for it.

There are other factors that affect it's potential, like wind speed and direction (in the open air) other ambient noises like traffic and

I seen those a few weeks back and wondered if they worked or not. excited to see the results. Dang thats expensive though.

Hi, I know that phone jammers are illegal in the UK, so i’d stay clear of them.

I am not sure of the legality of the Mosquito, i’d assume if it isn’t banned yet, it soon will be.

I really think night vision cameras that are viewable via there LEDs glowing,

will be a better way to deter bad behaviour.

I am not sure of the legality of the Mosquito, i’d assume if it isn’t banned yet, it soon will be

not quite illegal yet. but is only sold with a court order to use. company must be registered and have a court refferance.

cant be used around domestic homes. it has been band by some councils around the country.

the mosquito has its place but people started installing the system in shopping centers (all they had in mind was to move on loitering teens) which also had effect on teens just out shopping

I think ACLU is bringing some legal action on those devices. Something along the lines of the right to peacefully assemble. As for cell phone jammers you could get caught in a federal rap as you are purposely causing interference with a communication device. I do wish they made one that would cause the cell phone to fry when someone I am talking with face to face deciedes to take the call and not just let it go to Voice Mail. Be nice to have a hidden destruct button you could push and watch the phone go dead.

I think ACLU is bringing some legal action on those devices. Something along the lines of the right to peacefully assemble. As for cell phone jammers you could get caught in a federal rap as you are purposely causing interference with a communication device. I do wish they made one that would cause the cell phone to fry when someone I am talking with face to face deciedes to take the call and not just let it go to Voice Mail. Be nice to have a hidden destruct button you could push and watch the phone go dead.

Yeah but no feds in this country, and besides cell phone users are causing interference with other devices too .. plus just being plain annoying .. oh hang on my cell is ringing ..

Hi, I know that phone jammers are illegal in the UK, so i’d stay clear of them.

I am not sure of the legality of the Mosquito, i’d assume if it isn’t banned yet, it soon will be.

I really think night vision cameras that are viewable via there LEDs glowing,

will be a better way to deter bad behaviour.

Update: Well I haven't received the item yet and it's been 9 days since I bought and paid for it, The seller claims it will leave his house tomorrow but has failed to send me a tracking number as yet, I have to say I am a bit concerned.

He did claim to have suffered a minor heart attack, but if I were a scammer thats exactly what I would say to string the mug along.

Well as soon as i receive the item I have plans about how I might use it. Aban has a good point, there is controversy about the Mosquito in the UK but those busy bodies that think it's banned haven't had to suffer the constant threat of criminal damage to their property and the constant noise nuisance in their homes?

I plan to mount it to a pole, which will fit into a hole set in concrete in the garden, When I see the little Cherubs playing up, I'm going to whip it out and give them a 20 minute blast. After that I plan to remove it out from view. So they will hopefully never know where it comes from. Another idea I had was to mount it into a bird nesting box on the wall. Besides, I have a right to protect my property and peace and quiet,

If anyone wants to complain, I will merely say that if the device breaks any laws I would be happy to remove it, but meantime I need to know under which legislation it's use is prohibited and that usually shuts them uptruth is hey just don't really know and it's not important enough to them to bother finding out.

Thousands of these units have been used successfully without being challenged and even some police forces have used them if the press are to be believed.

I don't know any politician that can be bothered to go to the expense of challenging this in the court of human rights in order to appease a lot of annoying youths that probably can't yet or won't bother to vote 'cos they will be too pissed on the day. I am confident I am safe. That is one reason I discounted the idea of a phone jammer early on.

mosquito_01-1.gif

The picture on this is a cell phone jammer, it is really cool, I've got this king of signal blocker from [mod edit - spam link removed. Please read the rules], benefit me a lot!

Yes I appreciate how such a device can be beneficial, however for my own problem I have decided that such a device might put others at risk in my situation and therefore I would not consider a jammer. The other point is although there is controversy about the Mosquito, they are not illegal in this country whereas the Jammer is and I am not prepared to break the law to beat anti social behavior. I am one of those that understands the law applies to me aswell as to others and want to try and stay within it. I do try to be creative with my approach to the problem, like laying down stink bombs in the area where youths loiter and such. Considering these youths spend most of their time urination on fences and walls there and spitting all over the place, the effect is minimal.

What I say is if it works for you, just do it and don't tell anyone, just be happy it works. Obviously this doesn't extend to this forum where we are anonymous.

I noticed the other day there are a bunch of sr citizens loitering around the mall an many seem to be walking in a deliberate pattern around and around does this device come in a low frequency model that will deter the frost tops?

I noticed the other day there are a bunch of sr citizens loitering around the mall an many seem to be walking in a deliberate pattern around and around does this device come in a low frequency model that will deter the frost tops?

Yes indeed! It's disguised as a heavily-modified 1991 Civic and goes 'thud thud boooom, thud thud booooom'

I know many people go on about youths a lot, drinking and making trouble, bit I would feel exactly the sam way about veterans doing the same thing or just a bunch of older drunks loitering. Just so happend that a LOT of the time it's youths. I am not responsible for that, they are.

Try handing out toffees or granola bars their teeth will soon need repair and they'll be loitering around the dentist's office instead.