schandhok

GEovision PC Reboot

Hi

I bought a new Geovision GV-600 8 camera card, i built a new system

Abit motherboard with Intel Chipset , Celeron 2.2 Ghz Processor, Kingston 512 Mb Ram, 200GB hard drive... when i am recording the system reboots.

I have disabled the ports of the cameras i am not using still it randomly reboots sometimes after 5 min sometimes 15 or sometime 20 mins. Can someone suggest what could be wrong?

shut down, take out card. remove software, and try again has to be pc issue something wrong there, it could be a number of things... eliminate them one by one, try one thing after another could be ram? could be anything...

1/ What is the video card you are using?

2/ kingston ram..although lifetime warranty has had many fualts.. stress test it.. also what is the ram speed ability and what is the bus speed set to.

3/ Is it the complete system that reboots or just the software... if only happens when recording, try another slot, not the lowest or top slot, try backing off the threshold of the CPU so it doesn't work as hard..celerons dont have the cache but it's only a 600 card so should not be an issue.

4/ Disable the watch dog.

5/ EVENT MANAGER is your FRIEND it will hold the answer to the reboot, look at the warnings and logs of event manager in windows and you should find the problem.

My guess is wrong slot or heat causing bios to reboot the system or ****ty ram!!

Hi Thanks for the reply..here is my details

1/ What is the video card you are using?

Ans. Nvidia Geforce MX 4000

2/ kingston ram..although lifetime warranty has had many fualts.. stress test it.. also what is the ram speed ability and what is the bus speed set to.

Ans. How would i stress test the RAM? the Ram is 184-pin DDR 400 and when i see the computer start it shows RAM as DDR 333. Where can i change the speed if i have to?

3/ Is it the complete system that reboots or just the software... if only happens when recording, try another slot, not the lowest or top slot, try backing off the threshold of the CPU so it doesn't work as hard..celerons dont have the cache but it's only a 600 card so should not be an issue.

Ans. The complete system reboots, i might try putting the DVR card in another PCI Slot..i had put in the last slot in the bottom so that its away from motherboard in generating heat.

4/ Disable the watch dog.

Ans. I did not set up watch dog. I have D-type inputs for Gv-600

5/ EVENT MANAGER is your FRIEND it will hold the answer to the reboot, look at the warnings and logs of event manager in windows and you should find the problem.

Ans. I tried to check event manager but i was getting some windows service error so i installed windows again, but while installing Service Pack 2 the reboots became frequent...i didnt even install GV-600 drivers yet and the computer rebooted alot. I even set the windows security settings to not to reboot so that i can see error but it just reboots the whole system. I had even updated the BIOS to latest version from ABit.

I think maybe its RAM....not sure...pls suggest.

Ans. How would i stress test the RAM? the Ram is 184-pin DDR 400 and when i see the computer start it shows RAM as DDR 333. Where can i change the speed if i have to?

That speed is what your ram can handle, is it one stick or two, are they the same brand and type? what bus have you set the Bios to.. you change speeds in the Bios, dependant of what Motherboard you have and it's supported speeds. To test ram, boot to Dos and use a program like "Mem Test" you could try a windows based stress test program or even if your really lasy..just use something like 3d Mark, it is not as specific but will really load your PC UP.

Mem Test is around almost everywhere, let me know if you get stuck and i will email you my copy with auto boot and a few utils built in.. it fits on a floppy disk so not big.

Never use Bottom or top slot..I know things have changed somewhat and Thomas will know more than I on the new boards, but older boards used to share AGP slot with top PCI Slot (share the IRQ that is) bottom one is also sometimes shared with IRQ...just put more fans in and place the card in middle slot.

To me it looks like ram... one thing to check though... try tking card out and doing the windows thing, if it stops rebooting its prolly an IRQ issue, never have card in when installing windows especially if you change slots later... my advice is format.. redoing windows leads to many many errors.. I know no one will believe me but after doing several windows repairs I noticed some really weird things, files missing..whole networking portocols gone etc.. do it from scrath and for goodness sake make sure your recording to a seperate drive than the C: drive or you will kill the swap file and cause a reboot.

My main thought is the ram, simple to stress it so should be first test.. stress may not find everything though.. try Corsair it si pretty fine ram, stick to twin x not value select.

Hi

Thanks for your reply, i just have 1 Kingston 512 MB RAM. I bought a new Kingston 512Mb from Best buy today to test if the new one works...but i will run the memtest on the old one first. But before i do all this i have encountered a new issue, i had done a fresh install of windows XP home and i encountered random reboots while installing Service Pack 2. Everything was installed finally but today morning i took it to my office and now the motherboard doesnt boot. The CPU Fan and Case Fan runs for 2-3 seconds and stops...i am trying to see what happened...i took out the motherboard and put it back in again but still no luck....

try a different power supply, and remove the PCI cards, were you using a UPS? check all bulky capacitors for leaks or pointy tops, smell the connector on the mainboard and see if it stinks of burning.

My bets is power supply is fuckoed

Could be a grounding issue. Is that a cheap chassis?

Also take CCTV Australias advice and yank the P/S. If that isn't it, replace the board and move forward.

"I tried to check event manager but i was getting some windows service error so i installed windows again, but while installing Service Pack 2 the reboots became frequent...i didnt even install GV-600 drivers yet and the computer rebooted alot."

What error message were you getting? That sounds more like a HDD failing effect. XP will attempt reboots if the HDD is damaged.

Hi

I did not get any error message, the system would just reboot. I got the motherboard and everything else from newegg. I think the mobo is done...i lifted the mobo in the air and tried to run the fan and cpu fan runs for 3 sec. thats it. I am sending the mobo back and the RAM back as well. How would i check the Power supply though? Its 400 W and all this hardware is brand new just ordered last week. Mobo is going back now with the RAM..

Power supply, if you have an extra PC yuck the power supply out of that and put it in and test with that ... problem with PC troubleshooting is you really need extra parts to test it with, otherwise thats when you become friends with the local computer store guys

could be a video card issue also. If the Mobo has video on board, take out the video card and just try running windows with the default video ..

Now if the CPU fan runs then dies, can be the mobo or the powersupply ... rebooting normally is the powersupply though ..

take it to someone who knows what they are doing u seem to have phucked it... cost$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

it was ramor VGA issues b4 im sure, now its MB and or PS issues...

take it to a puta shop its worth spending a buck rather then burning it...

Im past offering tech support on this one.

cheers

I has a couple times problems like this, and I always thing about geo system's fault, then I tried to play with diferents configurations on Geo Card, and always the same rebooting. I did fix them getting the system work stable by itself first, then installing geo card and drivers, what I mean is that maybe geo soft stress lots the machine and some components fail, as mobo or ram, but the fault is arlready on the system not on Geo, so fixing the system first and letting run smooth by it self guaranty to you that the system is going to work with geo, if its mobo compatible.

Hi Guys

I just got a new Mobo. from ABit since my prev. one didnt start. I plugged everything but still the CPU Fan runs for a couple of secs. and stops. I unscrewed the mobo. but still it runs for a couple of seconds. Can anyone suggest something?

Agree with mcs, perhaps you should get someone to build the pc for you as they would be able to prove each individual part good or bad.

You might want to check the power supply and make sure you are getting the proper voltage coming out of the power connectors that lead to the motherboard, your +5 VDC. If the power supply is not putting out enough power or is running a little high you can get weird problems like your experiencing. If you have an adjustable power supply you can adjust it while you have a multi-meter monitoring the power. I don’t know what the proper range would be for a motherboard in a computer, but I have usually run 4.96VDC to 5.10VDC on Video Game boards in Arcade games, which do use computer motherboards. I just don’t know the tolerances for a typical PC. If someone knows the proper operating range that the manufactures recommend for their motherboards please post the information.

I would suggest buying an inexpensive Digital Multi-meter if you don't have one already. They are handy for so many different things it is worth the purchase. You can eliminate the power supply as a problem and go from there. Since this is your second motherboard and you are still experiencing the same problem it is probably the power supply and not the motherboard. A watchdog on your hardware can cause the reboot. Most of the time these reboot issues are a bad power supply not putting out the proper voltage.

There is a lot you can check with a multi-meter that can help eliminate the hardware as being the issue. I would definitely eliminate the power supply as being the issue before you do anything else. When you figure this problem out, please let us know what was wrong, just curious.

It's going to depend on the type of connector. Generally your meter should read 5 volts or 12 volts for motherboard connectors.

I have also seen cheap cases that have poor grounding issues for the mainboard cause the same problem. I do agree however that for the amount of effort it takes to replace the power supply (4 screws), it is worth swapping first. Power supplies are typically low cost so not a big issue to worry about.

scottj

The fact that it starts and then stops two or three seconds later tells me that it's the CPU or CPU fan. 99% of the time this is what causes that issue. Make sure your CPU fan is properly seated.

I have a reboot issue like this, but it's because specific cameras loss signal, then I guess the software notices that the camera signal is lost after a few minutes and reboots the system..

This problem probably has been resolved by now because the original post was August 21. If the person that posted the message is still around it would be nice to know what the problem was just sake of being curious.

It can be so many different things and there have been many good suggestions in the previous posts, just wondering if you ever found out the problem and what it was?

Anyone been able to stop the system from rebooting on sporatic video loss? Some systems do it and some don't are we doing something wrong?

Both have watchdog disconnected.

Thanx!