RabidDawg

best way to run cable

I've done a search and must not be using the correct terminology to do the search. What is the best way to run cable in a drop down ceiling, without having to mess with every other tile? I've tried using a weight on the end of a string and sometimes I'd get it down the run 20 feet, but most of the time it would only be 5 - 6 feet and it would hit something, is there anything that would work better?

Thanks.

Fiberglass wiring push/pull rods. Screw them together and away you go, easily up to 20 feet. (gets a little flimsy though at 20'). They have them at HomeDepot, about 40 bucks.

scottj

running 3 coax or less: fibre glass fishing rod (cascadable 12-ft type)

running 5 coax or more: 10-ft PVC conduit (v strong yet flexi enough to bend around tight plenum headroom)

Duct tape some strong sting to a light ball, or softball. Toss. You can throw above ducts, pipes, etc, and it will roll. Everyone finds the method that works best for them.

For the occasional cable pull you WILL probably be better off with the weight on a string approach others have mentioned.

If the ceiling is wide open I use a gopher pole:

25043_1.jpg

It's 22 feet long when it is telescoped out all the way. retracted it is only 4+ feet.

If access is tighter, or for fishing down walls I use Glow rods:

25043_1.gif

I don't know why I call them glow rods... Mine don't glow.

So those work great for running cable. But around here nothing can hang on the ceiling support structure. We can't just lay cable on the grid. It all has to be self supporting. So if regulations is something you are concerned about you might want to check with your local Authority Having Jurisdiction. (AHJ) about acceptable practices.

Tape the wires to a cat, place the food at the other end of the drop ceiling. Let the cat go....you are in business. If the cat gets lost or doesn't make it to the food bowl, you really haven't lost anything....

I've used a wrist rocket to run cat 5. Two things are important. One is aim (having broken a drop ceiling tile) and the other is crimp after the cable is run (also learned the hard way). But that was a few years ago when we wired the high school.

I do it the old school dominican way.....I take about 10 feet of wire, and throw it down the ceeling. It works a lot of times, but sometimes it get's wrapped around something, but o well.

But my prefered method is having my installers do it

I wouldn't trust my RC truck to stay above the fiberglass tiles at Target. And to get over the ceiling grid I'd need a RC truck. But on the other hand.... I'm sure it'd be fun.

oh ya i like the fiber poles like the grabbzit by labor saving devices get 2 and have some one on the other end both of you have the z tips and you can run 40 feet in a matter of seconds

oh ya i like the fiber poles like the grabbzit by labor saving devices get 2 and have some one on the other end both of you have the z tips and you can run 40 feet in a matter of seconds

I'll have to try that. I almost lost a pole the other day. It took the guy I had working with me like 40 minutes to find it in the ceiling. Of course it turned up missing at the end of the day when all I wanted to do was go home. Luckily I had tons of phone calls to make from within my air conditioned truck... Because I sure didn't want to have to go looking around for that thing!

just purchased and used a fiber extension pole, 25ft., that extends of like a fishing pole, no screw tips. worked great. will get another.