CCTVDude

Bad GeoVision Octi-Cables?

Has anyone else had a problem traced back to bad Octipuss cables that come with the Geo cards. Usually channels 1 and/or 8 (9/16) won't display. It's happened to us a few times.

Can you order replacement cables anywhere?

Did you make sure the wires are connected the right way?

Do you have a continuity tester that you can use to check the wiring?

If you can provide more information of why you think it is the wires maybe somebody else can jump in here and help you narrow down the problem.

Make sure you have the right set of cables. Some have audio, some do not. Even though they fit the D-Sub means nothing. The pin-out has to match.

Yeah, I'm using the right cable...

On 2 different DVRs we traced the problem to a bad Octi-cable. Replaced it and everything was fine... I thought we got a bad batch or something. Symptoms were inconsistant video on channels 1 & 8.

Hmmm...

I have had that porblem and I ended up changing out the cables. On a couple just moving the wire would make it lose connection. I also had a bad connectoron the incoming coax that appeared to be a problem with the geo cables. It would be nice if they made them with a little bigger wire. It is hard to make the connections and have a neat appearing bundle.

For this issue, i reccomend using a vga extension cable. It seems to work well and make camera connections more convenient as you are no longer connecting cameras to the back of the card.

Also makes for a neater install.

What is the VGA extension cable, and how does it fit on the Geo Video Slot? Different size isnt it?

Yeah I noticed the Geo vision ends are pretty small, but alot of other PC DVRs ive used have much larger ones, not all, but a few of them.

Do you think we could use the extension, and run it into an eclosure, and somehow make it more secure? See the PC Card thing and the way it is set uo by default is just way to lax it hurts me, they just hang there, Just looking for a better more secure way to do it .. and i think you came up with one ...

tanks

a ready made kit would make a lot of money i thinks ...

add in the enclosures some ditek protectors ..

some clips to secure each cable to the enclosure's back, maybe in rows of 8.

Make a Balun version, and a passive & active UTP Hub version ..

Make a tall version that has the components for the multi power supply in the top part, and the video in the lower part .. or something like that .. back up batteries, etc.

what yall think?

Rory

For this issue, i reccomend using a vga extension cable. It seems to work well and make camera connections more convenient as you are no longer connecting cameras to the back of the card.

Also makes for a neater install.

Great Idea! I was thinking along those lines but hadn't gone as far as to order the cables to test, but I will now! THANKS!

a ready made kit would make a lot of money i thinks ...

add in the enclosures some ditek protectors ..

some clips to secure each cable to the enclosure's back, maybe in rows of 8.

Make a Balun version, and a passive & active UTP Hub version ..

Make a tall version that has the components for the multi power supply in the top part, and the video in the lower part .. or something like that .. back up batteries, etc.

what yall think?

Rory

I'll order 3 please!

I have had that porblem and I ended up changing out the cables. On a couple just moving the wire would make it lose connection. I also had a bad connectoron the incoming coax that appeared to be a problem with the geo cables. It would be nice if they made them with a little bigger wire. It is hard to make the connections and have a neat appearing bundle.
Glad it isn't just us!

Yeah, I remember 'jiggling' the cable and using a rubberband to keep it working before we could get another cable. Boy was our customer impressed...

So where can you order more cables? and how much should they be?

I'll order 3 please!

send me the $$($$) and ill make you a tree

hmmm, yet another idea ..

Just tried a 3 metre (10 foot) vga cable extn with an 8 camera Geovision & it worked fine.

Great tip Sal, can't think why we haven't tried it before.

Could make installations much easier/neater in suspended ceilings with just the vga cable to bring down into the office.

Top Tip!

great info I just did and install and think the vga cable idea and enclose the connections in a box is great I have an upcoming install next week and will incorporate your ideas covering up those dinky cables will make the installs much more pro looking

I have one machine that has bad cables. Both of them (16 cam card) give me intermittent problems.

Where can we buy replacements?

guys I tried the VGA extension with the 1480 but didnt display all the cameras ... also had interference on a couple that did show ..

any ideas ..??

Bad cable?

I extended the video and audio using the extension cables and have had no issues.

Definitely beats trying to get behind the computer and work with those dogone dongles.

My card is the 1240-8, so only 1 cable needed for the video. 1 for audio.