Dr3am

What do you think of Dahua?

Just wondering what you guys who have used Dahua products think of there analog and IP cameras? Also what you think of there DVR, NVR, and Hybrid (analog/IP) DVRs? Any and all input is appreciated.

Seems like every other post I see is Dahua, Dahua, Dahua. I don't get it.

I personally am not a big fan of Dahua DVRs after using them a few years ago under the Mace and ICRealtime brands. It was these systems that got me involved in video surveillance because the thing worse than the functionality of the DVRs was the service my client received from the reseller (single reseller of both brands). I want to say that I had no problem with Mace or ICRealtime as far as their companies were concerned - it was the DVRs and the reseller.

First, I don't like the business model Dahua has in the US. The product is bought by resellers who rebrand the equipment and sell it as their own. I don't have an issue with this by itself, except, in my opinion, it creates confusion in the marketplace and resellers may not be upfront about what they're selling. What kind of reseller quality control does Dahua have? I imagine if I wanted I can purchase a quantity of Dahua product, rebrand it, sell it, then it's goodbye, good luck and god bless.

Second, the end user cannot get support directly from Dahua. The end user has to go through the reseller, and if the reseller goes out of business, then what? And who knows what kind of support Dahua provides the reseller? If an issue is reported does the reseller have to rely on Dahua? Does it take days, weeks or months to get an issue resolved?

I'm not intending to promote Aver here - just using them as an example. Lately I've been purchasing Aver DVRs from an authorized distributor. When I need support I can go to my distributor or Aver. Both have been great. I know if the distributor goes out of business, I can always go to Aver for support and I can get firmware and software updates direct from the Aver website. Can't say that about Dahua (as has been mentioned many times from frustrated Dahua end users). In fact, Aver once created a specific firmware release for me to fix a specific issue I was having. Again, just using Aver as an example - not trying to promote them.

Third, I had the opportunity to test some Dahua DVRs and wasn't thrilled with some of the functionality. The main issue I had was with playback - both remote via the Internet and local playback of saved video. Then it was the conversion from the native video format to avi or mpeg.

Lastly, being able to provide and easy way for others to play back saved video is very important to me as I do a lot of work for small retail stores and there's always something that needs to be saved and provided to the authorities. I just wasn't thrilled with Dahua's implementation.

I think Dahua started to gain a foothold on this forum just over a year ago. A respected member mentioned the company, then another member and another. Then when new users started asking "what dvr should I buy", Dahua would always be recommended. That doesn't seem to have changed as many new users now post "After researching the forum I've decided on a Dahua dvr from xxxxx company."

Now, please keep in mind this is all one guy's opinion. If you purchased a Dahua dvr and are happy with it, great. I hope it gives you great service for many years to come. If you're considering a purchase, fine. I'd only suggest to see if you can try before you buy. Dahua DVRs may be the perfect solution for some, just not for me.

I've been introduced to Dahua from where I work. We actually use IC realtime. For my own jobs, I use Dahua which I purchase

from a local distributor. I cannot believe the price mark up that IC realtime does. I keep telling my boss to dump them

and buy from my guy. Anway, as for the product itself, Dahua is a great product for the price. I wouldn't say it's the best

or easiest to configure, but after installing roughly 50 dvr's and a few nvr's, I've become sort of an expert on them so it

is very easy for me. As mentioned above, the one thing that Dahua needs to correct is the playback or back up feature. It is

not as easy as other DVR's out there. But, considering I already know exactly how to playback, I explain it to my customers

and they understand it pretty well. I would definitely recommend PSS over IE to playback if doing it remotely.

As far as the cameras, I would definitely say they are outstanding and absolutely the BEST quality for the price.

Hope this answers your question.

IMO, Dahua is the Toyota of the CCTV world. Reliable, gets the job done, nothing fancy, and a great value. Nothing flashy, no touchy feely sales or customer support, just a modest, reliable product. And since they are popular, there are lots of aftermarket apps for Dahua.

I think it depends on the level of customer you are serving. Small business and residential is a good fit but larger customers will have a problem with lack of manufacturer support.

Well from the posts I think I will give them a try. I have only used 2 brands of DVRs and cameras. Both have their ups and downs like any product. Most important to me is the reliability, firmware updates, technical support, and picture quality of recorded footage. According to the supplier I will be dealing with they have firmware updates in a private section of there dealer login for all the products that require updates and a 2 year warranty on DVRs and cameras. I mostly do home and small business installs (16 cameras or less) so I think it might be good for business as one of the 2 brands I use are kind of pricey for home installs and the other not the greatest quality for the small business but is a lot less in price. Thanks for all the input it always helps to hear it from the people who have used the equipment for a honest opinion. " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

A real value will be show when you trying to using them. but i can say with my think

- technology (pixim chip, support onvif...).

- price so good.

- SDK for develope good

Most important to me is the reliability, firmware updates, technical support, and picture quality of recorded footage.

I just got a 2nd Dahua, and am replacing some of my Vivotek IP8332 cams with them.

The software is a lot less mature and flexible than the Vivoteks, while the image quality is definitely better, especially at night and in low light.

Switching from bright to no light (like turning off a light) results in a black screen for 5-10 seconds while the IR filter decides to switch out (the IR LEDs come on right away). Going the other direction is not as bad, but if it's washed out, it takes some time for the auto-exposure to adjust.

Firmware updates are problematic, though it sounds like your supplier may have a good setup for that. Getting actual technical or software support directly from Dahua is not good, and that's a big negative, IMO. They don't even have the manual for my 3MP bullet on their website.

Reliability is still unknown - they haven't been out there long enough yet. We'll know more when these installations hit 1+ years.

So, if they can get their firmware more mature and provide manufacturer direct software and technical support, they'll have a product much more ready for prime time.

I'd try to copy Vivotek's functionality and support if I were them - they'd eat Vivotek for lunch if they could get that down.

What was the DVR trouble you had Cherry?

Normally no big problem on their products, just some small operations problem.

But we can not gaurantee their 100% QC passed.

We have been thinking about adding these to our lineup. We are worried that with all the white labeling and costco, the margins are now or will become non existant. We used to push Geovision and Vivotek but now you are lucky to make $2-5 on a camera.

Has anyone had experience with RMA or support issues for the Cameras? This is the biggest factor for us in adding a brand as some of them are atrocious at post sale/ warranty support.

Has anybody here mix-and-matched any other brands of cameras with Dahua NVRs? I'm trying to find some more information about this, as I have cameras already but I am really interested in the Dahua NVR. The lack of a return policy and the lack of accessibility to test it before hand is really killing this deal for me.

I've heard people use ACTi cameras with success, but I've also heard people using Axis cameras with limited success (it works, but no motion detect features, etc.). Has anybody here tried any other cameras to comment on? Perhaps with Vivoteks?

Has anybody here mix-and-matched any other brands of cameras with Dahua NVRs? I'm trying to find some more information about this, as I have cameras already but I am really interested in the Dahua NVR. The lack of a return policy and the lack of accessibility to test it before hand is really killing this deal for me.

I've heard people use ACTi cameras with success, but I've also heard people using Axis cameras with limited success (it works, but no motion detect features, etc.). Has anybody here tried any other cameras to comment on? Perhaps with Vivoteks?

Normally Dahua NVRs connect with others brand IP Cameras,it through ONVIF 2.0 protocol to run.

It means , you have to check the IP Cameras' supplier if their products supported ONVIF 2.0, but the problem as you said, no motion detection function. Because ONVIF protocol doesn't open motion detection function yet, maybe future.

I was recently sold a Dahua CCTV and Video intercom.

What a heap of crap. Their software is so buggy at all levels.

Don't expect much support. Dahua in Australia is as good as a pile of dung, Dahua's China head-office is absolutely useless.

Consider this brand at your peril.

I was recently sold a Dahua CCTV and Video intercom.

What a heap of crap. Their software is so buggy at all levels.

Don't expect much support. Dahua in Australia is as good as a pile of dung, Dahua's China head-office is absolutely useless.

Consider this brand at your peril.

Care to tell us all what the issues are? and the buggy software?

If you were sold it by who? you should be going back to your supplier as its their issue

Yea we just took over a large 125 camera Dahua system with Avigilon. Customer liked the price of the Dahua system but when the other company installed it they quickly realized they made an expensive mistake. Multiple cameras failed in the first month and no one could get the software to work reliably. Not to mention the other company sold them gray market gear with zero warranty. I even spoke with Dahua at ISC and they said: "sorry we can't help them". Well, Dahua will NEVER be installed by this customer ever again.

Also, most people aren't aware but the largest DOS attacks in the history of the internet have involved Dahua cameras and NVR/DVRs.