blowrabbit

wheres the experts gone ??

hey what happened to the big guys on this forum like cctv austrailia, and metz who carried on good discussions on the latest and greatest in cameras , ect?? thank god youve still got rory, but whats up?

Nothing up that I know of; just a natural occurrence of most forums. People get busy and somethings gotta give.

Personally, I think everyone here who participates on this forum is a major contributor.

Tomorrow (November 1st) marks the second year anniversary of CCTV Forum. By the third year there will be a ton of improvements.

Happy Birthday and well done on an excellent forum !!

I think that because Xmas is coming up everyone's under pressure to deliver projects in time. That's where everyone is .....

yippie

2 years going strong ..

hey, cooperman is still here .. he has some seriously technical expertise on CCTV, cameras, lenses, etc, .. and he's been in the industry for decades

To Larry,

From reading as many posts as I have had time to read, I think that some valued members left this forum for reasons other than just being too busy, it would seem that there were some personality clashes between individuals that caused these people to leave.

I wanted to post in the http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3520&highlight= but you closed that off so I will post here.

This is the BEST forum I have ever seen and it's information is without doubt one of the best CCTV resources that you can get and it is indeed free, it is a credit to you that you built this forum when trying to find an answer to a problem that you had and not finding it on the net.

I personally use the net to answer any questions I have and if I possesed your skills then I would have done the same thing, being able to define a need and then thinking that others may have the same need is displays a keen business mind.

I am however not STUPID, this is an excellent investment for you and now that you are charging for advertisement it will reap the benefits that you and others have sewn, this will become an excellent earning device for you.

I am not concerned that you will make money from this because I firmly believe that you deserve it, in fact I would be more than happy to donate some HDD's to you or even make a small donation through pay pal etc to help you to keep this site running.

It may sound silly to offer HDD's however this is a real cost and i think Larry would actually agree with me they are usefull.

If only 500 members gave you $5 each, you could quickly start to build up the site.

I respect that you removed this competitiors site from yours and why would you promote it, however I ask that you (or someone else) PM the site to me as I would like to make my own informed judgement on it and although I respect your removal of the information I think it important to let others look around.

Larry, your site has grown and will continue to do so my only suggestion is that YOU can not afford to loose good people as they are what keeps the site from turning into yet another Yahoo Flame site.

It is these individuals that stop arguments and get the topic back on track, however a few of your major posters may seem a little BIASED in their opinions.

A business idea is only as good as its original plan, once that is copied, then the person with the most cash usually wins, therefore I think you will need to act fast to ensure your resources stay with you.

Perhaps you should provide a smaller (much smaller) banner that rotates between some of the companies that have helped you with intelligent resource in order to grow your business or perhaps a map with countries recommending installers that you know are reputable this can be available to all visitors (ie those that have not registered) or can be sent as an attachment after registration with contact details etc

As for me I am happy to hang around and I enjoy it very much, I would however like to be able to see the other site for reference.

You have created a very nice vehicle, however your fuel resource needs to be sustained and it s what keeps your vehicle moving, forums always lose members, however good ones can often be the reason many people stay!

Wow it has been two years, I just looked at when I joined. Bummer, I mean I congratulate you on keeping the board going for two years but geez it is really no fun getting two years older and not realizing it. My concept of time is shrinking faster than Einstein's relativity theorem.

Do we early guys get a cut out of the tremendous wealth you are going to make from selling banner advertising. After all $50 a month per ad is going to put you into a whole new tax bracket and by distributing the money to us you will keep from paying too much in taxes. Think of it as a consulting fee or early development fee. I'll take stock options instead against the day you go public and this becomes a hot IPO like Google.

Just a suggestion, give it some thought.

Laugh all you like AV, however I doubt that will be the going rate when this site keeps growing at the rate it has, to have 1500 members after 2 years without any serious advertisement in any trade magazines etc, is an indication that perhaps 4000 by year three and maybe 8000 or 10,000 by year four.

This amount of traffic would lead to some fairly reasonable prices to be charged for advertisement and I think quite obviously a fairly good re-sale value (which is obviously more important).

Just imagine if you bought the domain and made a nice internet drop ship wholesale company to put in it's place, wouldn t that be nice especially after we are all being asked to link to this site from other sites.

I am not saying this is why larry did this and I am first to take my hat off to him for GIVING something to the industry, however I do feel that larry does realise that he will EVENTUALLY make quite a bit of money from this domain.

The point I was trying to make is that the reason some people left the forum appeared to be personality clashes more than them loosing interest and although that will always happen, perhaps if these IMPORTANT people are actually noticably missing then it may be wise to prevent further occurrances and I suggest showing some of the loyal people that have helped in this endevour some assistance that may make them contribute more to the overall success of the forum.

After making my original post i thought...maybe I shouldnt have and I really didn feel all that strongly about what I was actually saying, but I do think it has some reference.

There are many people in here that have sold equipment through this site that they would not have been able to do if it did not exist and luckily it is usually the guys that have contributed, all I say is why not link to the guys that help the most so that they can have a need to want to help more.

I know I have explained things a few times over on several subjects and sometimes you really just get sick of typing the same thing again and again (unless of course you are Rory), but I feel that if I had gained a small something I would be even more helpfull than I am now.

I help regardless as many do in here but I think even more EXPERTS may come out of the closet if we offered incentives to allow it to happen.

I welcome your thoughts.

I am not saying this is why larry did this and I am first to take my hat off to him for GIVING something to the industry, however I do feel that larry does realise that he will EVENTUALLY make quite a bit of money from this domain.

Man, let me know where you got that stuff you tokin (insert smokin smilie here; man I gotta add more smilies)

Seriously though. You must know something about forums I don't. Would I like to pull into a Mercedes dealership and pay the salesman $5 to drive me to the Ferrari dealership; based off the profits from this place - you better believe I would. You think I am an idiot or something? I want to win the powerball too but I doubt that happens.

As you mentioned in your post, there are people here who make far more than I do off this place. So far I have made $50 bucks off one banner; I don't even want to mention what I have spent for fear my wife will see it.

I expect at least stock options or the chance to buy into the initial IPO. Please just let me buy 10,000 shares at the IPO price and I'll be thrilled.

Did you see what happened with that dumb IRBT (I Robot) IPO that makes those stupid robot vacuum cleaners? Instant riches.

Anyone here can put their website on their personal information so that all links are there right in the memberlist. I often go to the memberlist and check out the links. No one is keeping that information hidden or deleting it and I even think some are using it as a bottom signature on their posts which seems fair.

I think that Larry doesn't want to turn this into the alt.sec board where every post is a blatant advertisement for an online sales site. I mean do we really need our very own Bass pumper here (Larry probably knows to whom I refer). Go to the alt.sec site and you will see nothing but self promoting multiple posts. The site is a disaster and I for one don't want to see this place turn into that type of cesspool.

Maybe Larry can parly this into a money maker and good for him. He was the only one in this industry to take the time and effort to put together a board like this. Now there is another one, and maybe in the future many more but Larry is the pioneer and deserves to get something for his efforts.

Let us judge how well the various boards do and see which one remains the most used. If Larry's board fails because of restrictive measures that are intolerable to the majority of users then so be it. That is the power of the marketplace. I for one don't think it will happen but no one is forced to use this or any other board. That is the beauty of the internet. This is truly a place where majority rules.

PS: Was there a request for links to be posted on other boards pointing to this one? Also please, everyone, including RORY, the word is "lose" not "loose". Like you are losers, you lose sight of the goal, you lose your wallet. Loose is like, the bulls have been let loose. You have loose bowels, you have loose morals. I am getting sick of message boards with thousands of posters who can't spell "LOSE" I am looosing my mind. See even I get crazy about it.

PS: Was there a request for links to be posted on other boards pointing to this one? Also please, everyone, including RORY, the word is "lose" not "loose". Like you are losers, you lose sight of the goal, you lose your wallet. Loose is like, the bulls have been let loose. You have loose bowels, you have loose morals. I am getting sick of message boards with thousands of posters who can't spell "LOSE" I am looosing my mind. See even I get crazy about it.

huh??

After reading this thread, and all the other ones of a similar nature it just brings me back to thinking why forums like this exist in general. The basic premise is that a group of like minded people get together online to share thoughts, ideas, product info and the like. All for Free !! I've not been a member of this forum for very long, but I've had a lot of exposure to local ones. The best site local to me is one that you now have to pay for (see http://www.security.co.za ), and is sadly not a forum anymore. Prior to this change the site was a free for all and poorly managed. Needless to say it became useless for the genuine users (bombed with warez and xxx). Now it's rebuilt in a different form with great benefits to the bona-fide users. The forum aspect is still under discussion though. This is principally why I sought out the CCTVForum.com site as an alternative (and now my de-facto) avenue for industry interest. Larry, from where I sit I think you have done an amazing thing with this site and yes, you have pioneered a global offering. I personally would not mind paying an annual fee towards being a member. One of the things with running a forum that has so many members (and growing) is that the management thereof does become onerous as it grows and thus the percentage of "alternative personalities" increases daily. From what I've seen, the management and moderation of this site is way better than most I've been on, and it is this attitude that has kept it ethical and clean. Well Done !!

PS How abput a spel cheker for posts so that loosers can get it rite ? and a mirror site (sometimes things are slow this side of earth) ....

Don’t feel bad he misspelled Parly (Parley) and memberlist (member list).

I usually try to type my comments into a word document and then paste them into the post once my spelling errors and grammar mistakes are taken care of. I don’t really care about the grammar so much.

A lot the experts are still right here.

One of them is that crazy guy above with the funny looking Smiley face. Scott has a great sense of humor in addition to being very knowledgeable.

There are many people here that are knowledgeable and you know who you are. I appreciate the knowledge and the help that I have received from everyone in the short time I have been a member.

Would 29.95 be too much? You only gave me 19.99 last time and the suck up statements are getting better.

No, seriously I think you are funnier than h*ll. I could have been wrong about your expertise, but I am a beginner compared to you so I don’t know yet.

I do really appreciate the help and it doesn’t bruise my ego to tell people every now and then.

I have got to get me some of those.

Very expressive! Where do you get those wihout all the included SpyWare?

Rory is posting pictures of himself now. Now that’s an expert.

That will be 12.95. And don't worry that is MSRP

No.

I have a bunch of them on my computer some where. I don’t know if there as good as those?

So if you want to be an expert that helps people you should let me know where you got them.

Notice how I keep using the word expert in each post to stay on topic.