vector18

2mp IP ptz over wifi

OK, here is the scenerio. Customer lives on the 15th floor in a building and has a friend down the block that is willing to allow

a 2mp ptz camera to be installed, but utilizing the network of the apt owner. As of now, we pick up the apt wifi on our cell

phone, but it's a weak signal.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is upgrading the wifi router in the apt to this http://microcenter.com/product/396996/AC1750_Dual-Band_Wireless_Gigabit_Router_RT-AC66U

And installing an outdoor high powered wifi bridge on the house where the ptz is going to go, something like this http://microcenter.com/product/411975/ENS500_OUtdoor_Long_range_Wireless_5GHz_N300_Bridge_-_Access_Point

The apt has broadband speed of 50mbps download and 5mbps upload. Does this sound like a good setup for a 2mp PTZ

camera because the camera needs to receive commands remotely as well as stream video. What do you guys think or

any better suggestions? I'd love to hear suggestions or if anyone has done something similar already with success.

Broadband speed is irrelevant as the video *should* be running across the local network only. For security it would be better if there were no connection to the internet.

I'm not concerned about security for this camera. If someone hacks into it, than they are free to see what it sees. What is the difference if someone has wifi in their house or a camera is streaming over the wifi signal? As far as being on broadband, I have

a test bridge and over wifi, I did a speedtest and got 20 down and 5 up. I'm hoping to get 5ghz down to the house and get a full 50 down and 5 up, but want to know if these devices should make the distance or not.

The speed test are useless here, you would still be internal to the network, so it will be what ever the max speed of the wireless link is, not the bandwidth.

Try and get a line of sight setup, this should give you your best network speeds over wifi. Also good choice on the 5GHz and not 2.4.

Here is the update. I set up my Asus 802.11ac router as a concurrent router and installed it near my window. In the picture below, I am in that building on the 15th floor. Than I set up my outdoor engenius 5ghz high powered bridge and brought it down the block where the PTZ will be installed. In the picture below, it will be installed on the that garage all the way on the left. So, for testing purposes, I held my bridge towards my building and it shows full bars. I than plugged my laptop into it and I have very close to the same speed as I would have if I had my laptop plugged directly into my modem. One day this week, I plan on installing everything and fully testing it out. I have a good feeling it will work perfect.

224884_1.jpg

224884_2.jpg

I got the 2mp mounted up and wired up over my wifi network roughly 300 feet away today. Everything worked out great

and am happy with the install. Dahua does not make a wall mount specific for this camera yet, so I used a universal one.

I had to take apart the camera, pull out the ethernet cable, drill out the center of the back plate, reroute the ethernet cables,

run them through the wall mount, drill holes to mount the camera to the bracket perfectly, than install the wifi bridge outside

of the garage in order to get full signal. Here are some pics.

224963_1.jpg

224963_2.jpg

224963_3.jpg

224963_4.jpg

That worked out really sweet man! What camera is that? Should see well at night right? Plenty of lights. I'm confused who needs to monitor that area and why, or was this just kinda for fun and to see if it would work?

Edited by Guest

Thank you Shock. Basically, I have two personal vehicles and a company van but I only have two spots in my building. So, one of my personal vehicles gets parked on this street and there have been some break ins every now and than. My buddy lives in the house I mounted the camera and he has an analog system already installed by someone else a long time ago and it doesn't

record much detail. So, I decided to try this out for fun and for security. He didn't want a huge PTZ on his garage, so I went with the Dahua sd3292 mini dome. It only has 3x zoom, but it has a digital zoom also. I wasn't too concerned about the zoom, just

wanted the PTZ part so I can follow my vehicle as I find parking. Here is a night shot. The camera has low light adaption, but as you metioned, lighting is pretty good on that block.

224984_1.jpg

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd3282d-gn-288.html

224984_2.jpg

WOW- fantastic picture from that camera! I figured it was probably parking. I have family in forest hills- parking sucks. We should hook up sometime when I'm out that way.

Unless something new is out when I get my HD system in place, I'll probably put this beat in line for my front yard.

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd698282a-hn-33.html

I use the 700tvl analog one at work and it is just a great camera. I actually love my analog ptz that I have on the front of my house now, but that'll have to be swapped out for MP. I have nowhere near that kind of light out front, so I need the IR for sure.

Anyway, awesome install you did there and the camera kicks ass!

Thank you, thank you. That PTZ you linked, I had one for awhile. Absolutely loved it. It is an animal! I couldn't find a place

for it and my building does not allow anything mounted outside so I sold it. I had the 2mp version, but I believe they are up to 3mp on that camera now. I am 2 minutes from Forest Hills, we should definitely hook up one day and chat.

V-18,

Great job on that combination of router / wifi extender & PTZ. Really great quality pics, and an equally clean install. Now I'm envious

You should have taken some tutorial pics for the custom mount job.

They do have this mount

224991_1.jpg

For this camera-

224991_2.jpg

Is the ptz bigger than that one?

Wow ... Those are very nice pics from that camera..

That wifi has some great range..

Nice job..

Shock, I think they are very similar in size and you are absolutely right, I should have taken step by step pics on how

I made it work with a mount not meant for it. The diameter of it was about an 1/8th inch larger than the camera itself

so it fit in there perfect. I still put a bead of silicone around the seal, but I think it would have been fine as is. Also, some pics would have been good to fully understand what had to be done. I'm hoping to make some sales by having this as a demo, so maybe the next one I do. As far as size, maybe this pic will give you an idea,lol! You can see my router antennas in the pic also.

225011_1.jpg

Nice work " title="Applause" />

Could you post a screen shot of the Engenius wireless setup? I would like to see what your channel width, signal strength and noise floor is.

I'll do that when I get home later. The back of the bridge has 3 LEDs for signal strength so I made sure to test it in different locations first. I was hoping to keep it inside the garage, but wherever I tried, it did not find my router so I installed it outside the garage facing my building and I got full bars. And I plugged my laptop into the bridge and speedtest gave me excellent results so I was happy with that result. If someone wants to try this type of set up, I would definitely suggest a concurrent router as I am using though.

Could you post a screen shot of the Engenius wireless setup? I would like to see what your channel width, signal strength and noise floor is.

I posted it last night, so what do you think?

I posted it last night, so what do you think?

try to get signal strength in -55 -60 dBm

That's the best that I'm going to get unfortunetely. But, so far since the install, it has been a flawless connection

and streaming remotely you cannot even tell it's over wifi.

That's the best that I'm going to get unfortunetely. But, so far since the install, it has been a flawless connection

and streaming remotely you cannot even tell it's over wifi.

Have u considered to put second IP radio in your Apartment instead Router and set up as AP