Guest alopu

GEO configuration

without being able to completely check it out, as im not formating my PC right now, or going more indepth into it, there is a list of files in the %windows% folder that Geo looks for, and they are all configuration files. Anytime you make changes those .ini files are updated. Im sure there may be a way to change the location it looks for, but it will require some further research.

rory

If they are all .INI files that reference the C drive he just needs a Drive Mapper program, which is included with Partition Magic, which also allows total manipulation of partitions.

Have some idea.

I will try to:

1. Install Win on D

2. Install Geo on D

3. Copy all *.mbd files (which points to WIndows directory) and copy all geo *.ini, *.inf files.

4. Install WIn on C and geo on D.

5. Make on D WIndows directory and copy all previous *ini, *inf files there

6. Copy all previous *.mbd files to Geo directory.

Maybe will work - I will let you to know if yes.

Another thing, i deleted all the ini files for Geo, well moved them to a folder on D:. Geo stopped working when i restarted it, wouldnt come up, copied back and worked fine as before, all the same settings ..

Here are a list of the Geo files, not all are required though.

PS. the Geo MDB files are located in the Main Geo Folder .. under /Database

Seems to only use that for log info, the main settings are all in the ini files

geo_list.jpg

Have some idea.

I will try to:

1. Install Win on D

2. Install Geo on D

3. Copy all *.mbd files (which points to WIndows directory) and copy all geo *.ini, *.inf files.

4. Install WIn on C and geo on D.

5. Make on D WIndows directory and copy all previous *ini, *inf files there

6. Copy all previous *.mbd files to Geo directory.

Maybe will work - I will let you to know if yes.

If you do this make sure you verify your environment variables by lauchning a DOS window and typing in SET to see what your path is set at and the value of other variables the system uses.

Unfortunately it does not work. After this Geo still use *.ini files from C. AFter deleting ini files and restart Geo make new *.ini files on C not D. Geo keep in other binaries too informations where ini files are stored.

We are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Perhaps lets go back to square one.

What are you trying to acomplish/prevent from happening and why?

Yeeaah - I wrote earielr why. Think longer about this - I`m sure you will go to the same conclusions.

And I read your why. Honestly I think a decent firewall solves all of what you are looking for without all of this headache.

all you need to do is Port Filtering, unless you are worried about the CIA hacking in ..?

OK - dont want to lose more time. If somebady can help - please advise. But only HOW not WHY.

Use Windows Embedded XP, you will be able to do exactly what we all think you are trying to accomplish.

Scottj

Check out the GE DVMRe ..

j/kiddin ... tweak it to the max, turn off all non essential services, dont load anything but the Geo Software, Use TCP/UDP port filtering, only allow the ports needed for access to the DVR server from the network/internet.

without being able to completely check it out, as im not formating my PC right now, or going more indepth into it, there is a list of files in the %windows% folder that Geo looks for, and they are all configuration files. Anytime you make changes those .ini files are updated. Im sure there may be a way to change the location it looks for, but it will require some further research.

rory

One of my customers (integrators who wants to put XP system on CF card) has the same problem and asked me for help recently. I couldn't help him so I contacted Geo Suppport. Their official response is:

"For your question concerning being able to direct the ini files, unfortunately it has been our software's specification to create these files under windows folder. Even with the use of SDK, there is still no way to redirect these ini files. "

They don't even consider changing this default folder - too much work, too much money they said. It's a bit unprofessional in my opinion.

I told my customer to check such solution as REPARSE POINTS (or junction points), available in Windows 2000/XP/2003. It makes possible to redirect files and folders on disk. More info at Google:

http://www.google.pl/search?q=reparse+point+redirect&hl=pl&lr=&start=10&sa=N

Application from Sysinternals:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

Implementation in C for Windows 200/XP Driver Developement Kit:

http://www.kbalertz.com/319447/Implement.Reparsing.System.Filter.Driver.aspx

I still have no answer from this customer and I have no time to find out myself. Worth to try IMO.

Does drive mapper create something like a *nix symlink? If you could symlink the files from C:\WINDOWS to D:\* this could be done.

Write protecting you c drive is not going to give you protection against viruses, and removing antivirus software etc due to thinking it does is going to leave you wide open.

If no writes are allowed on c, then software that needs to write (and there will be lots of it) will need to write to d.

Viruses are software, they can just as easily find that d: drive, especially as the registry, ini's and paths will all be pointing at it.

Even password info for geo is stored in the registry, so if windows is on the c: drive and you lock it, you could be in trouble when you want to change some settings on geo. Especially if you miss any entries in the registry, some are not marked as anything to do with geovision, so you wont find them...

Windows needs to write to the registry, how will it operate normally if it cant write to the windows files?

How are you going to do updates to windows? How on earth will you cope when a security flaw is found in geo that requires you to download a critical/urgent fix from geo? The fix could easily point everything back to your c: drive, resulting in having to do all the work all over again.

What about upgrades, same problem, all that work all over again.

Write protecting the windows drive, and removing all your other security products sounds like a recipe for disaster....