I get calls frequently about these Costco purchased systems, and I will install them. However..

There have been cases where cameras specifically fail altogether. This ends up in me trying to warranty the merchandise. It has happened more than what I would think is normal.

Anyone else seen this kind of pattern? Or could it just be a bad batch?

Just curious...

Just a thought, you are putting your name and reputation with every install, added to the fact call backs cost you time and money and you warranty your work. Try to use pro/rated gear, equipment that you can count on. Explain to your client the costs vs reliability, I would stay clear of off the shelf gear like the systems sold at big box stores.True a talented tech can make a cheap camera look good and with all the branding and oem gear out there you really have to do your homework, even higher end products can fail but hands on in the field go with products that have a proven trail of service and good dealer/install support. It pays in the long run.

That's what I suspected, but I have to admit, many calls have come from these types of systems.

What has happened in the past is that I get called out to install one of these, and once I tell the client about my experiences with the equipment, some have opted to purchase a system I am comfortable with.

I had one of these shelf system's outdoor cameras completely rust. This was maybe 10 weeks later. In California, in the summer.

So in the future, I will probably install if the customer chooses w/o warranty whatsoever, but highly suggest an upgraded system.

Anyone else deal with this in this manner?

Thanks, John...

I might get into something like that for a family member or friend but... Thats just really asking for trouble, if you are going to do it make the customer buy the crap and have it there to install. Make sure and put a heavy margin on it.

I agree with everyone else. I would stay away from installing these systems. You don't want to get a bad name for something that is not your product. I have had many people come to us because they have been so frustrated with their Costco system. They always say they should have gone with us in the first place.

Try going with Panasonic for your people that want to spend the money. It's hard to talk people away from the Costco system because they do a good job for a while, but they fail and people are not as happy as they thought they would be with the system. Hope this helps.

You should charge by the hour to install such equipment, no flat rate deals. That way the time you waste playing around with defective equipment will be paid by the customer.

Unless the client absolutely has their heart set on a Costco system, I would try and introduce the client to a higher quality system. Unless the client is totally price focused, you can usually help them rationalize the cost/benefit ratio, and better fill the client's needs with a marginally higher priced system. The Costco system may be an easy solution for a young business to offer, but if you do a little homework, you can probably deliver a system that will have a more positive impact on your company's long-term reputation.