jeromephone

Geo to go to 32 or more cameras on one computer?

Has anyone tried stacking two GV-1480 cards? and view 32 cams with two monitors (16 each) and another spot monitor from just one camera?

Do I need a really fast system? What do I need to do to achieve this? Like which parts should I get from Geovision, what kind of PC spec should I built (to view 30 cams), do I have to purhcase software from geovision? There are a wide variety of cards by geovision which one should I get, also on the "tested PC" section on Geovision's thread, I can't seem to find a setup for 32 cams. I need some advice here.

Im setting up a 30 camera for my warehouse with no proffessional help due to my location here in Malaysia. I have knowledge in building a good PC and it should not be a problem for me building a DIY DVR with Geovision's cards.

My main concern is getting the right parts from geovision to achieve what we want in the company. If I purchase the GV-1480, does it also come with the 8.1 software?

I would really appreatiate if someone can advice me on what to do.

Cheers,

Darren

Never tried two geo cards in one system, would try it if I had two cards, but I only have the one.

Personally I would prefer having two seperate pc's with 16 cams each, less work for each pc, and if one fails you still have the other one working. Important camera's can be swapped onto the working one if required. Whereas if all on the same machine, if you have a failure, your screwed completely.

Plus with that many cams, you will be better of with two machines - more room for hard drives for plenty of storage, plus you will need more than one operator at times for 32 cams, so two machines is a bonus.

My main concern is getting the right parts from geovision to achieve what we want in the company. If I purchase the GV-1480, does it also come with the 8.1 software?

I would ask the supplier, it may, or if its old stock it may not... BUT even if its not the absolutely latest version then you can ask geovision for a link to download the latest version free of charge (they will ask for proof that you have a genuine card)

We have tried to install 2 Geovision cards in one system and we did not have any luck getting them both to work. As of now Geovision has no plans to release a 32 camera card.

We have tried to install 2 Geovision cards in one system and we did not have any luck getting them both to work. As of now Geovision has no plans to release a 32 camera card.

Thanks for the reply, i will go for two PCs.

Personally I would prefer having two seperate pc's with 16 cams each, less work for each pc, and if one fails you still have the other one working. Important camera's can be swapped onto the working one if required. Whereas if all on the same machine, if you have a failure, your screwed completely.

Plus with that many cams, you will be better of with two machines - more room for hard drives for plenty of storage, plus you will need more than one operator at times for 32 cams, so two machines is a bonus.

That's very true. Would be more stable to run two separate PCs. I know that Geovision has the Control Center software. How does it work actually? Do I install it into one of the two PCs?

I know that Geovision has the Control Center software. How does it work actually? Do I install it into one of the two PCs?

You install it on a machine in the control room. You can get by without it without any issue. I use microsoft's RDP or VNC as much as I do control center.

Control Center to simply access the DVR's Software interface, is MUCH faster than RDP or VNC. As long as you are simply doing something in the geovision software itself the Control Center's Remote DVR feature is great.

thing is, UDPtech has 32 channel cards .. and the GV8.xx ini file has support for 32 cameras ... but nothing in the works it seems.

GeoVision are releasing the hardware encoding GV-2016 card (16 channels). The earlier models in the family (4 and 8 channel) can support 2 cards in 1 system, there may be the ability to install 2 of these in the near future.

When I started hacking v8 I found all kinds of stuff that isn't actually an option in the final v8 product.

There are optional window splits, I can't remember how I activated them but for a while I had a test box with different splits. I think they were the same splits that control center uses. This would alow for you to actually see more then 16.

I saw some stuff that looked like 32 or 64 channel support.

I saw stuff for IP cameras not using the Geovision encoder. (D@MN! They need to finish this!)

I also noticed stuff for customized OEM installs. Kinda like XP Home Retail, Home OEM, Pro Retail and Pro OEM are all on the same disk it's just a switch in an ini file (and your license...) that controls the installation.

When I started hacking v8 I found all kinds of stuff that isn't actually an option in the final v8 product.

There are optional window splits, I can't remember how I activated them but for a while I had a test box with different splits. I think they were the same splits that control center uses. This would alow for you to actually see more then 16.

I saw some stuff that looked like 32 or 64 channel support.

I saw stuff for IP cameras not using the Geovision encoder. (D@MN! They need to finish this!)

I also noticed stuff for customized OEM installs. Kinda like XP Home Retail, Home OEM, Pro Retail and Pro OEM are all on the same disk it's just a switch in an ini file (and your license...) that controls the installation.

v8.2 (supposed to be out sometime this quarter) supports Axis and Sony Ipela cameras. Im not sure if there will be any other brands supported in 8.2.

Has their been any indication that geo might come out with a system that would support more than 16 cams? Semms with new more powerful processors etc that it may be possible

We have our PRO 32 / 200 system with 32 Video inputs / 16 audio inputs and 200/240 fps for all channels. It is working great !

Is the video viewable with the Control Center software?

I use RDP and it is unusable to actually view video with.