videobruce

Another Wintel conspiracy? Incompatable with Via chipsets.

What is up with the Wintel only chipset motherboards for these Geovision capture cards?

Why won't/don't these work with the more popular, non Wintel & choice of most PC enthusiasts' Via chipsets?

Edited by Guest

I think there is a incompatability between via chipsets and the 'hint' chip used on certain geo cards (I believe the hint chip is the one that routes the camera inputs to the main IC).

I had to get a whole new set of equipment to use my geo card, intel mobo etc, it was a pain, but it was well worth it, intel boards are nice, if a little pricey new (but very reasonable second hand....)

the 'hint' chip used on certain geo cards

The "hint" chip??

you get what you pay for

Whats' that have to do with the topic? There isn't any price difference between Via and Wintel MB's for the most part and if there was, it's just because you are paying for the name, the same as you do for any of the above overated names I mentioned.

I wouldn't make such a quick link between Intel and Windows, it's not quite like that.

Via chipsets have in the past had limitations in the PCI bus, you will find all throughput depended PCI bus hardware to say no go on Via. It's not just Geovision, it's not just CCTV it's everything that pushes the PCI bus.

Also Via doesn't always support the crossbar inside hardware cards that have multiple encoders on board. So sometimes they do work but you only have access to the first encoder.

I would be very skeptical of DVR cards that use the PCI bus and claim 100% Via compatible.

PCI Express may well change that though, different system bus. Not too many DVR cards out there to test it with, not to mention the cost.

EDIT: This is also a guideline, feel free to buy a bunch and test.

the crossbar inside hardware cards that have multiple encoders on board

Explain further? Crossbar as in 'bus' within the card for each input? One encoder per input?

qoute from one geo distributer web site

"GV650, 750, 800, 900, 1000 cards, if installed onto motherboards with VIA chipsets, will generate unstable clocking. These models use the "Hint" chip set for PCI bus control, and this Intel Hint chip set conflicts with VIA chip set. Therefore, please avoid using motherboards with VIA chipsets. Intel chipsets, SIS, and lots of other brand names are good. GV250 or GV600 do not have HINT chip sets, therefore, they are OK with VIA chip set mother boards.

"

guess the hint chip is the pci controller on the geo card.

What a name for a chip.

Now you got me wondering. I found this;

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=431

Scroll down 2/3 of the way down on the page.

I also found this;

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/pc_hardware_faq/2_43_What_disadvantages_are_there_to_the_HiNT_EISA_chip_set.html

But, I'm not sure if that is the same thing. I noticed the actual spelling is "HiNT" as in an acronym.

I think its not just geo that uses those chips, have it mentioned that some avermedia cards also use it, and probably a few other makes of dvr card too. So its not just geo's problem.

I don't get what the big deal is. It's not like there is a problem with Intel based boards. And if the price diff is to high (What like $25 to $50 maybe), I'd assume you are using the personally, not for customers, because stability is everything in PC based DVR's.

Also other cards like Viewgate and ILDVR need INtel boards too. Perhaps your "Blame" should be placed with via.

Edited by Guest

one thing i did notice that the recent Via chipset all in one boards I used have really crappy S3 graphics. .. they definitely wont work for a DVR ..

Yes the GV250 works on Via, used one recently. Also GV800 works with SIS.

my 1480 worked on a sis board (ecs k7s5a) with xp 1800 processor but frames rates not as good as on the intel with 3ghz processor...

I don't get what the big deal is.

I don't use Wintel products (other than the O/S). I have used Via chipset boards for the past 7+ years.

I don't support the 'Wintel' machine any more that I have to (the O/S).

so the bottom line is VIA = Crap

That's your opinion and it's NO bottom line! Those manufactures went ahead and used a chip that is incompatable (possible by design to exclude non-Intel products).

Any manufacture that trys to exclude any compitition by proprietary designs can drop dead. If their products are good enough there should be no need to do so. I don't support monopolies.

i should have mentioned the vias with the S3 video onboard are the bottom line ones .. the rest are good

PS. i dont like monopolies either .. too many of them in this country.

bruce needs to go to anger management

No I don't. It's called having 'principles'. I don't like being bullying around.

It's just chipsets

It's far more than "just chipsets". It's shortsighteness on the part of manufactures. It's not just Geovision.

Is it really Via chipsets you want to work or is it AMD CPUs?

Both, but it's not a issue with AMD processors.

so the bottom line is VIA = Crap

and sis too for that matter

agreed. the cheap chipsets have their place, but generally you should use an intel chipset for a good system.

It has been my belief that the people who create the technology (Intel) are going to do it better than the others who mimic (AMD, Via, SiS, etc.). We have never made nor will we ever make a PC DVR using any platform other than Intel.

Who even cares what chipset it is. The absolute most important factor in a DVR is stability and if Intel based boards are the most stable for DVR cards, why even question it? I garauntee that a customer only cares about stability and reliability of their system, not "Chipset Monopolies". Find another soap box.