rory

MegaPixel Cameras - Images and Demos

I don't think the Panasonic can stream at all in its MP resolution. I know it won't FTP or write to its SD card in MP mode, the best it can do is VGA and the same streaming to this software. I do have some images straight from the camera taken at 1:30AM, and I'll post them when I get home but the only way to do it is via screen capture.

What bugs me about Axis, at least the models I've had access to is they don't record video events and send them via FTP or other methods. It only sends jpegs one image at a time.

I also wish they made an MP bullet type cam with built in IR illumination and motion detection like the Acti 1231 and keep the price point in the $600-800 range like the Acti. No housings to worry about, heaters, seperate illuminators.

Here's the Axis M1114 at 1:30 AM with an outdoor flood light on -

129053_1.jpg

Here's a Panasonic BB-HCM735a, same shot, same time of DAY -

129053_2.jpg

just for fun

doing 30 of those cameras for local school

Which cameras, Axis M1114?

Are u kidding

just cheap chinese crap

Are u kidding

just cheap chinese crap

whats the brand? if its cheap could maybe sell it down here .. or use it to watch my now broke down jeep

pictures look good by the way.

knew he wouldn't name the make/model

And what's the point of that?

I agree completely. But for some reason he doesn't like to reveal the cameras he uses....

knew he wouldn't name the make/model

And what's the point of that?

I agree completely. But for some reason he doesn't like to reveal the cameras he uses....

Then he's wasting everybody's time.

Can you blame him?

6 months ago end users had not heard of CNB. Today there's thread after thread of them looking for free help, trying to make them work.

I'm one of the friendliest guys you'll meet. I love to talk about new technology and share ideas or information.

But why should I help a competitor out??? That's essentially what I am doing if I help a customer out who needs answers, can't get it from their supplier, and comes here. Am I greedy? No.

Professionals spend a lot of time researching, buying, testing products that work (and lots more that don't). It's only fair to be compensated for our efforts. We are on the front lines, but for what? For someone else to steal our time and sell at below cost on the internet?

I get the fact that we all help each other out. But let's face it: in this day and age, chances are most of our potential customers will surf here from a Google search. A lot of blood sweat and tears goes into product recommendation. Things would be different if this was a private forum, with only professional eyes. I don't risk my reputation by suggesting or installing something I can't be proud of. But what's the point if my reputation isn't worth something?

Then he's wasting everybody's time.

Absolutely not. ak357 is being smart. And I agree completely with bpzle. CCTV is my living and I will be damned if I am going to spill the beans on everything I have learned over the years to a public forum, which essentially makes all of my knowledge worthless. That camera system from which ak357 showed a still shot is going to be absolutely amazing once finished. I know that because I'm the guy installing it and helping to get the bugs out of it (corrected a very interesting one tonight). It took him a long time and a fair amount of money buying sample cameras to finally settle on the right model, so to go out and volunteer all that know how would be crazy.

See things as you wish, I know if I was on the other side of this discussion I would certainly want to know exactly what camera those shots came from because they are exceptional. But I can also appreciate the fact that a professional doesn't want the competition, or worse, a potential customer to know exactly what equipment he is using to deliver such a great system. It's a teaser shot, yes. And probably not in the best taste to even post it without giving some information, but that's ak357's decision and far be it for me to criticize smartassism.

Since i started this thread, I would like to repost this for everyone:

NOTE: this is not directed to any one person:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322

This thread is for links to any MegaPixel Cameras with Real Life images or Demos. Self Promotions/Advertising posts will be removed.

Please post links in this thread, must meet the following criteria:

-Manufacturer/Review Sites only.

-No Self Promotions (PM me with info).

-No Online stores (PM me with info anyway).

-Must be MegaPixel Cameras (no exceptions).

-Must have Real Life Sample Image or Video (no exceptions).

-Optionally, a brief review if you have used it.

bpzle, wdr_mark and AK357

I totally agree with you. We have worked to hard and spent to much money to give it all away for free. I don't see any Cisco guys on a forum designing systems and setting up there gear for free But we do it here

I very much enjoy talking tech with you guys but I think we should move it to the dealer forums or we should start getting payed for input " title="Applause" />

Serious question: if this forum isn't for information sharing, then why are all of us here? You can find pretty pictures anywhere on the 'net. Photobucket... Flickr...

In my opinion, if you're going to participate, that's a two-way street. It's not enforced, of course... so you can take... and not give anything back... but there's a name for people like that.

CCTV isn't my specialty, or my business. I'm a physician. People pay me for my clinical judgment and expertise... not necessarily for raw knowledge. While I frequently know a great deal more than they do (though that's not always the case), I'm not the holder of the "secrets of the temple." What I am is an experienced clinician. I don't get paid to simply regurgitate what I learned in a medical textbook; those can be found on Google. What they pay me for is my experience, expertise, understanding, and clinical judgment about what is actually happening, and what is best for a patient on a case-by-case basis.

Medicine is changing... people frequently bring me printouts from Google about what they think they have/need. Sometimes they're right... often they're not... but the information is out there... and thinking you can ignore it is a fallacy. In addition to the self-diagnosers, I also find myself competing against the faster/cheaper philosophy... quickie-clinics, nurse practitioners, independent-practice PAs. Those folks don't have my training or experience. They don't know what I know... but they do serve a segment of the population that doesn't necessary need (or want) my skills.

I also get the people who think I'm a thief or quack. They mega-dose on vitamins, or hang out at the herb-and-crystal store. They're convinced that I'm trying to kill or poison them... until they actually poison themselves with some crap their "witch doctor" whipped up... then I step in with modern medicine and fix them.

They don't even necessarily need me for my prescription pad... the same antibiotics you'd get in a pharmacy are available from farm supply stores, over the border in Mexico, and from aquarium supply houses.

*shrug* It is what it is.

How many customers do you really think you're going to lose by posting something here? You're never going to beat the price of the cheapo DIY system-in-a-box at Costco... and the person who buys that crap gets exactly what they paid for. And as for helping a "competitor," I'd argue that you're actually helping a customer... and perhaps gaining additional customers once they see what you can do. That person will also tell others, by word-of-mouth, and the 'net.

I did my IP-based system myself... some if it with equipment purchased from members of this forum. My first alarm/security system was analog, and professionally installed. They did a nice job, and I've referred multiple friends and neighbors to that company, because they did good work. They weren't able to do what I eventually decided to do, so I DIY'd it (nobody in my area does Mobotix, so it's not like I took money out of somebody's pocket by doing so). Hell... half of the security companies I contacted for my initial bids didn't return my calls... and of those that did, half of those didn't even show up.

Where the professional earns his money may not necessarily be in the sale of physical product, whether physician or CCTV integrator. We're in a global marketplace, and there are enough internet wholesalers, Hong-Kong outlets, etc out there that your supply chain (and its attendant markup) isn't as protected as it used to be. So what else do you have?

Your experience. Joe-regular-guy may know to buy a bunch of ExtremeCCTV stuff... but that's the easy part... any joker with a credit card can buy something off Ebay. BUT... he has no blooming idea how to install it, or which camera is going to look best here-or-there, or how to get that siamese cable from the second floor to the basement DVR, etc. People are always going to DIY... and maybe their results will suck. OTOH, maybe it's good enough for them.

But I suppose this could be converted to a closed forum... just to avoid those "smart" customers.

***************** Edit ********************

Seems to be a lot of resentment floating around here... what gives?

CCTV isn't my specialty, or my business. I'm a physician. People pay me for my clinical judgment and expertise... not necessarily for raw knowledge. While I frequently know a great deal more than they do (though that's not always the case), I'm not the holder of the "secrets of the temple." What I am is an experienced clinician. I don't get paid to simply regurgitate what I learned in a medical textbook; those can be found on Google. What they pay me for is my experience, expertise, understanding, and clinical judgment about what is actually happening, and what is best for a patient on a case-by-case basis.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you in this case... CCTV is *a* specialty of mine (after several years' experience), but it's not "my" business as such, as I'm just a technician for another company. Like you, I'm paid for my experience, expertise, understanding, clinical judgement about what is actually happening, and what is best for a customer on a case-by-case basis... specific skills that can't be absorbed by reading the results of a Google search.

Medicine is changing... people frequently bring me printouts from Google about what they think they have/need. Sometimes they're right... often they're not... but the information is out there... and thinking you can ignore it is a fallacy.

Technology is changing even faster... and with the growth of IP cameras, things aren't as simple anymore as just plugging cable A into input B. One has to be an IT technician as well, to move beyond the bare basics in this industry. It also helps, as we see in other threads, to be knowledgable in construction practices, audio/visual, and any other number of disciplines... AND be able to meld them all together effectively!

How many customers do you really think you're going to lose by posting something here? You're never going to beat the price of the cheapo DIY system-in-a-box at Costco... and the person who buys that crap gets exactly what they paid for.

I had an acquaintance from another (completely non-CCTV-related) forum asking me about helping him with and possibly supplying some cameras and a DVR. I have him pretty much sold on the CNB domes... however, he found them on eBay for less than half of what I can sell them for. I'm not sure, but it's probably less than WE get them for. So I told him, I can give you the benefit of in-person, in-town support... but if it's for a home system, and you're on a budget, I really can't match that price, and I'll understand if you decide to source them from an online retailer.

And as for helping a "competitor," I'd argue that you're actually helping a customer... and perhaps gaining additional customers once they see what you can do. That person will also tell others, by word-of-mouth, and the 'net.

In fact, I HAVE from time to time been contacted by people for price quotes, based on my posts they've read here. Some of them, as far as I know, have never even posted here, they've just lurked and read posts.

And realistically, how many of us here ARE direct competitors for others? I can think of maybe one REGULAR participant here who's in my area who would actually be considered a "competitor". There are a couple who work for a supplier that we SORT OF compete with, but more often simply work with.

Your experience. Joe-regular-guy may know to buy a bunch of ExtremeCCTV stuff... but that's the easy part... any joker with a credit card can buy something off Ebay. BUT... he has no blooming idea how to install it, or which camera is going to look best here-or-there, or how to get that siamese cable from the second floor to the basement DVR, etc. People are always going to DIY... and maybe their results will suck. OTOH, maybe it's good enough for them.

This is true with nearly every profession out there, especially skilled trades. The backyard mechanic, for example, will never put the pros out of business, regardless of handy sites like autozone.com and the plethora of car forums out there, because there are some things that your average joe just doesn't know how to do right... or how to do well... or how to do easily... or has the time for.

Serious question: if this forum isn't for information sharing, then why are all of us here? You can find pretty pictures anywhere on the 'net. Photobucket... Flickr...

In my opinion, if you're going to participate, that's a two-way street. It's not enforced, of course... so you can take... and not give anything back... but there's a name for people like that.

Medicine is changing... people frequently bring me printouts from Google about what they think they have/need. Sometimes they're right... often they're not... but the information is out there... and thinking you can ignore it is a fallacy. In addition to the self-diagnosers, I also find myself competing against the faster/cheaper philosophy... quickie-clinics, nurse practitioners, independent-practice PAs. Those folks don't have my training or experience. They don't know what I know... but they do serve a segment of the population that doesn't necessary need (or want) my skills.

I also get the people who think I'm a thief or quack. They mega-dose on vitamins, or hang out at the herb-and-crystal store. They're convinced that I'm trying to kill or poison them... until they actually poison themselves with some crap their "witch doctor" whipped up... then I step in with modern medicine and fix them.

They don't even necessarily need me for my prescription pad... the same antibiotics you'd get in a pharmacy are available from farm supply stores, over the border in Mexico, and from aquarium supply houses.

*shrug* It is what it is.

How many customers do you really think you're going to lose by posting something here? You're never going to beat the price of the cheapo DIY system-in-a-box at Costco... and the person who buys that crap gets exactly what they paid for. And as for helping a "competitor," I'd argue that you're actually helping a customer... and perhaps gaining additional customers once they see what you can do. That person will also tell others, by word-of-mouth, and the 'net.

I did my IP-based system myself... some if it with equipment purchased from members of this forum. My first alarm/security system was analog, and professionally installed. They did a nice job, and I've referred multiple friends and neighbors to that company, because they did good work. They weren't able to do what I eventually decided to do, so I DIY'd it (nobody in my area does Mobotix, so it's not like I took money out of somebody's pocket by doing so). Hell... half of the security companies I contacted for my initial bids didn't return my calls... and of those that did, half of those didn't even show up.

Where the professional earns his money may not necessarily be in the sale of physical product, whether physician or CCTV integrator. We're in a global marketplace, and there are enough internet wholesalers, Hong-Kong outlets, etc out there that your supply chain (and its attendant markup) isn't as protected as it used to be. So what else do you have?

But I suppose this could be converted to a closed forum... just to avoid those "smart" customers.

***************** Edit ********************

Seems to be a lot of resentment floating around here... what gives?

Sawbones just so you know, I'm completely with you. I'd consider myself a "smart" customer, IT Based, just limited in CCTV knowledge. My comments regarding the cameras and lack of disclosure are accurate and are based on experience, specifically with ak357. Since I live in the same city, I contacted him regarding cameras, dvrs etc. While I was planning to do all my own prewiring, I was going to purchase all my equipment from him. It probably wouldn't have amounted to much, 15 cameras in total and a good dvr, as it's a residential install. I met with him a couple of times and spoke on the phone to discuss needs, cameras etc. It was clear he did not want to reveal a single product. Every camera I suggested (after much research) to him as a possibility was shot down with its failures. The professionals in this forum can blame it on wanting to protect their customer base, but then explain why, when your customer asks you about cameras, you would still withhold information? It just doesn't make sense. I've watched ak357s threads and his reluctance to reveal cameras...to other professionals. I don't call it professionalism, I call it insecurity.

Sawbones just so you know, I'm completely with you. I'd consider myself a "smart" customer, IT Based, just limited in CCTV knowledge. My comments regarding the cameras and lack of disclosure are accurate and are based on experience, specifically with ak 357. Since I live in the same city, I contacted him regarding cameras, dvrs etc. While I was planning to do all my own pre wiring, I was going to purchase all my equipment from him. It probably wouldn't have amounted to much, 15 cameras in total and a good dvr, as it's a residential install. I met with him a couple of times and spoke on the phone to discuss needs, cameras etc. It was clear he did not want to reveal a single product. Every camera I suggested (after much research) to him as a possibility was shot down with its failures. The professionals in this forum can blame it on wanting to protect their customer base, but then explain why, when your customer asks you about cameras, you would still withhold information? It just doesn't make sense. I've watched ak357s threads and his reluctance to reveal cameras...to other professionals. I don't call it professionalism, I call it insecurity.

Wow

Did not expect this from you Dave

Yes, we had few talks and few conversation on the phone

Yes, you ask ?? and I simply and honestly told you my opinion

which you call "shot down with its failures"

As a matter of fact I consider I provide you with lots of info

What did I get ?

what you forget to mention to everybody how you went around and got

cameras from China and online stores.

----------------------------------------

I do talk directly to other in business

they know everything what I am doing

you want some nick names ?

---------------------------------

By the way I am still waiting your "HELP" about Sage

Sawbones just so you know, I'm completely with you. I'd consider myself a "smart" customer, IT Based, just limited in CCTV knowledge. My comments regarding the cameras and lack of disclosure are accurate and are based on experience, specifically with ak 357. Since I live in the same city, I contacted him regarding cameras, dvrs etc. While I was planning to do all my own pre wiring, I was going to purchase all my equipment from him. It probably wouldn't have amounted to much, 15 cameras in total and a good dvr, as it's a residential install. I met with him a couple of times and spoke on the phone to discuss needs, cameras etc. It was clear he did not want to reveal a single product. Every camera I suggested (after much research) to him as a possibility was shot down with its failures. The professionals in this forum can blame it on wanting to protect their customer base, but then explain why, when your customer asks you about cameras, you would still withhold information? It just doesn't make sense. I've watched ak357s threads and his reluctance to reveal cameras...to other professionals. I don't call it professionalism, I call it insecurity.

Wow

Did not expect this from you Dave

Yes, we had few talks and few conversation on the phone

Yes, you ask ?? and I simply and honestly told you my opinion

which you call "shot down with its failures"

As a matter of fact I consider I provide you with lots of info

What did I get ?

what you forget to mention to everybody how you went around and got

cameras from China and online stores.

----------------------------------------

I do talk directly to other in business

they know everything what I am doing

you want some nick names ?

---------------------------------

By the way I am still waiting your "HELP" about Sage

Actually Alex I still haven't purchased my cameras for the house, I've got a couple of cheap cameras in place, but I have no DVR and still need to get decent working cameras. It just seemed I asked and asked and never got a straight answer. Shooting down my suggestions is fine, but then give me some suggestions....

Actually Alex I still haven't purchased my cameras for the house, I've got a couple of cheap cameras in place, but I have no DVR and still need to get decent working cameras. It just seemed I asked and asked and never got a straight answer. Shooting down my suggestions is fine, but then give me some suggestions....

U wanna call me ?

i still have you ph number by the way