acableconnection

dsl vs cable

Does everyone recommend cable over dsl, if you can get it. A buddy restaurant runs on dsl, and watching his cams over the intenet is stodgy.

If i am in the building it (wireless internet router) it looks great. ONce i get home, its pretty slow. Once i download a scene,(takes forever), it looks almost like a vcr.

Question is: Is dsl that much slower than cable to upload? He has att, but im not sure which package.

Depends...

In Tulsa Cox Communications caps at 1mb upload.

DSL can match this speed with the right package.

In our recent OK mass power outages DSL has stayed up the whole time, my combined cable loss was something like 40 days.

So working slow IMHO is better then not working at all! lol

Depends on the location, in this country Cable is the best, cannot even use DSL for remote video, packages that equal Cable cost over $400 for businesses, while cable is $150 and still faster. Also down here DSL support is not great, it is run by the local government telco monopoly. In the islands though, in many cases it is all there is as Cable is not in all of them yet.

The question is do you want a piece of a pie or do you want the whole pie?

While cable is generally faster... . you must share bandwidth with others... so if network usage on your street or area is high then your bandwidth may be decreased substantially.

Now with DSL you might not get the speeds of cable but you are looking at a direct connection and no sharing of bandwidth.

Problem is down here DSL is not only much slower (upload speeds of around 128 for similar priced package as Cable) but it is down all the time. So essentially, Cable is our only valid choice here.

If power were to go down in the local area will the cable system still be up and running if you use a generator?

There are video amplifiers that the cable company depends on to send the signal down line, and if the power goes out at that point then everything down the line is down as well.

Only you can decide which will give you the better option.

There are some customers that have both. Yeah! That's what I said when they asked me to set that up!!

I have some computers on the ATT, and then I have some computers on the cable system. When one goes down they can pop a cat 5 connector to get the other "side" up, and going.

Sales = computers = money coming in.

Power goes down, Cable and DSL goes down, thats if DSL was even working to begin with. Seeing as a security system SHOULD record locally, the network cannot be a priority anyway. If their prime concern is remote video, then they have to spend big bucks and get dedicated equipment from an ISP, or just deal with the offs and ons.

Here in the East Bay Area I have several customers running AT&T DSL using 16 channel mpeg 4 DVRS sucessfully with a typical continuous upload speed of 659+ Mbps, one remotely watches locally and from Mexico the other from Greece. I have another that watches locally and has Communistcast cable that is sometimes faster but is inconsistent.

Here the DSL seems to be more stable. In North of the Bay Area, (Lake County), They only have cable and the only word I can use do describe their uploads from their DVR's is moody...

Down here wont get that with either ISP unless you pay extra (with Cable you can get as fast as you want though, if you pay for it), with DSL to get 512 upload for a business it is $490 a month, otherwise for the basic business package of $75 a month they get 128 upload, 256 down, Cable is 512 upload for the basic business package which is $99 a month (plus required $50 for TV). As a basic cable home user I average 400-500 upload and 3mb download. Another problem is our telco lines here are awful in many cases. DSL in the outislands is worse but getting a little better, was down all christmas though as nobody was at work!

Our Government owned DSL Monopoly:

http://www.batelnet.bs/packages.html

Our Cable company is of Canadian origin.

Our local nodes are equipped by back-up batteries, last two bad storms the cable techs were out on call (in a major snowfall) checking /re-charge off service truck. Although during long poco outage it really doesnt help unless you are set up with a whole house standby gen.

Does everyone recommend cable over dsl, if you can get it. A buddy restaurant runs on dsl, and watching his cams over the intenet is stodgy.

If i am in the building it (wireless internet router) it looks great. ONce i get home, its pretty slow. Once i download a scene,(takes forever), it looks almost like a vcr.

Question is: Is dsl that much slower than cable to upload? He has att, but im not sure which package.

As ColinR stated.. it "depends" and I will add depends where you are in the country...

Normally cable internet are a lot more stable vs. dsl lines that depend a lot with your internal phone wiring.. In many cases people ordered DSL with high capacity of up and down speeds and they were not able to get even half what was promised... In case of cable Internet, you have only cable wire and dependent on the strength of the signal to the house or the business, then you can be assured same level of performance.

Had them both and like them both for different reasons, in Europe it's relatively cheap, in my country you can get cable 30mb for €59

and adsl 24mb for €50

We all know about the advantages and disadvantages of both. For me, the cable biggest disadvantage is the fact that your connection is shared with all users from start (I will give you an example, if you move in to a new apartment block with 20 apartments and only 3 apartments are occupied you will probably have a really good cable speed, but if the other 17 apartments get occupied and they all use cable from the same provider then you will have issues with speed... because the conexion is shared from the beginning, starting in the backbone cable of the building... therefore in cable the speed is not as stable). In adsl you have a dedicated line until the pop. But for me, the biggest adsl disavantage is actually the wires it goes trought (they will have a limit pretty soon, and besides, in europe many old houses have bad telephone wiring and that sometimes limits your speed... unless you want to invest there

Now what makes me chose between internet providers.... none of that I look at 3 things:

1. price/speed

2. download limits (no thank you... always chose unlimited)

3. TCP Ip port blockage (many internet providers block the communication of the tcp/ip and udp protocol of many ports, because it's a huge strain for their service and structure to have millions of users downloading 24h a day. If you are using a P2P software to download content from the internet, that software uses a port and the internet provider sometimes blocks all coms through that port, and it's a lot of ports and soft , and WE don't want that do WE

"the cable biggest disadvantage is the fact that your connection is shared with all users from start" That particular performance issue can be resolved by the cable company adding a new channel and splitting the users. ALL Internet connections share bandwidth to a degree, (DSL, Data service etc) GOOD cable providers monitor performance regularly and can add another channel when the bandwidth per user hits a certain point. DSL starts to share bandwidth at the phone co central office whereas cable co to residential users starts earlier in the connection, Bandwidth limits within cable modem networks are not per node. Bandwidth limits in cable systems are defined by the upstream or downstream channels assigned.Nodes can be configured to use larger data channels or multiple data channels for more bandwidth. A lot of the performance issues with cable is dependent on local system design and system architecture. Some providers push more customers per node and CMTs port and that will cause bandwith issues. New generation CMTS downstream ports and upcomming technology combined with lower prices have really impacted the cable industry now and seems to be subscription rates depend on marketing and competition, as well the willingness for providers to upgrade and maintain a quality system.....in markets where there is little competition especially some rual areas, often service suffers due to profits/costs. As with all industries (road build, utilities etc) future infrastructure and design to meet new demands play a big role in performance....today with a few exceptions most service is all profit motivated.

From my experience, this not related to technologies but the bandwidth offered by provider actually. Both dsl and cable can run very fast with similar budget. Pay particular attention to the difference of downstream and upstream speed.

One more consideration is whether your provider will block any port so making your configuration of video difficult.

At our small city, there are over 10 providers offering both services.

rgds, dove