rkninc

Hard Drive RPM

Hello;

What RPM Is needed for a NVR system? Will 5400 RPM be enough or is 7200 needed? What are your favorite hard drives for storage of about 1-2TB?

Thanks.

Hi,

I recommend seagate SV (sata video surveillance) hdd, but in the past 10 years i've seen any brand will eventually crash.

Many manufacturers of DVR equipment recommend to swap the hdd after two years.

The best way to do it is a RAID config.

The speed you need depends on the number of frames the system has to write to the hdd.

More cams = more data at the same time.

Continuous recording means more data than motion recording.

With RAID, disc striping is used, this makes the writing faster.

Mpix cams create more data.

To know if you need 5400 or 7200 you have to know the amount of data first and the method the NVR software uses to store the data.

I personally use Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB hard drives, which are 7200rpm.

But due to the floods in Thailand, hard drives prices are still high but are dropping slowly,

So I’d wait a couple a few weeks to save a few bob. I've never had much luck with WD, so avoid them.

Do not get a 5400 RPM drive, they are often times very slow, I would say stick with tried and true 7200RPM.

And yes prices are up right now, if you can wait then I would suggest you try to wait till you see a sale on drives.

RAID will work if you set it up to do stripping, which will help increase the speed, if you are just going to set up mirroring then there will be no speed increase.

You can pick up some seagate barracudas for a decent price still, although higher than normal, but sill affordable.

You can pick up some seagate barracudas for a decent price still, although higher than normal, but sill affordable.

Yup, just picked up one for 119.99 1 tb, 7200 rpm

Yup, just picked up one for 119.99 1 tb, 7200 rpm

that is a great price - i got some for a little more then that today