buellwinkle

Dahua cameras now at Costco

Spelling mistakes aside.

I spell one word wrong and now it's mistakes plural, but putting your arrogance aside, this is Costco's return policy (including its one spelling error). If I can't hack something properly, then I'm not 100% satisfied.

You're right, it was arrogant and I apologize.

But you misspelled 3 words...

Which three words? I copied the text to MS Word and only found one word misspelled and that was mayonaise which is the correct spelling in Dutch

Do you think that would be reasonable behavior?

Purchasing a product with an intent to damage it or "hack it" - modify it for a purpose different from which it was deigned seems reasonable to you?

Updating firmware is not hacking, its maintenance for which a product was designed. If it fails under maintenance that is a product flaw no?

Kawboy12R what's link to your store. I wanna buy all your cameras so I can hack them and then I am going to return all of them for new models.

Which three words? I copied the text to MS Word and only found one word misspelled and that was mayonaise which is the correct spelling in Dutch

Dilemma and Knot. But you win on the Dutch thing.

After reading this thread, I think I have to agree that updating FW is a reasonable use of the product. I stand corrected and thanks for the info and pics

I would guess that any issues with the NVR may be related to port numbers as Q-See has set different ones, like the HTTP port being 85 instead of 80. So you may want to manually enter in all the port info when you configure the NVR. Also, remember, this is a P model, meaning it has a built in PoE router that may give you grief.

I played with these this weekend and I'm impressed with the value. They are not $800 cameras, but they aren't $800. These are the things I noticed that separates them from more expensive cameras

Slow to respond to light changes. It can take up to 10 seconds to respond to things like opening a door that significantly alters the lighting.

Blacklighting compensation is pretty bad. Turning on this feature really reduces the contrast of the overall image.

No on board storage.

No IO and no way to trigger an alert via http. This is one thing I really miss. If this was included, I'd be totally happy.

Can't turn off the IR. I took the camera apart and disconnected the IR, but that caused the camera to switch to B&W mode. This is because the cable for IR power is the same bundle that communicates with the ambiant light sensor. I don't know if the IR filter moved over when it was in B&W mode. It might be possible to snip the correct wire to disable IR, but I'm not that brave.

Dark images overwhelmed the compression algorithm and the image was very blocky. Some image adjustment fixed that.

OTOH, there are things I like:

The price.

The day time image quality is fine. The night time IR sensativity is very good. Low light images are good (enough)

You can set a range for the "shutter" speed. This can be used to keep the camera from using stupid long exposures in low light.

Taking the camera apart to swap the lens is pretty easy. Lenses this size are cheap.

The size is good. I'll be able to put these in some obscure locations.

Things to watch for - no power supply is included. Plan to use POE or buy a power supply.

I got a weird message in Chrome on one camera "This page in is in Chinese, would you like to translate?" Sadly the translation didn't do anything and the page loaded fine after that.

I never installed the included software.

I can't remember if anyone already mentioned this, but here is a copy & paste from Q-SEE's Facebook account.

On Oct 10th, someone inquired about when Costco would be selling 1080p cameras.

FB User asked...

FYI to those waiting on the IP NVR to come back down in price at costco (It was $500 with 2 cameras, but sold out and went to $600) - after October 15th it will have 4 cameras for $600. Hope I saved someone some money.

Q-See: Any idea when we'll start seeing the 1080p cameras at Costco?

Q-SEE said...

Sorry about the delay in the response. We should have 1080p IP Cameras available on Costco.com within the next 2 weeks.

FB User asked...

Any estimate on what they will be pricing them for? I was glad to see the next NVR package is coming with 4 cameras.

Q-SEE said...

At the Beginning we will be selling the cameras separately, Pricing will be competitive. Sorry, I can't announce pricing of product prior to its release.

Here is the link to their FB page.

http://www.facebook.com/QSeeFB

from their Facebook site "With its ability to connect to cameras over the network, an NVR allows the owner to place the system in a completely different building, city or state and still have real-time surveillance where it’s needed while keeping the vital recorder away from unwanted attention."

So they can stream real time 1080P video from the camera to a NVR over a WAN connection.

from their Facebook site "With its ability to connect to cameras over the network, an NVR allows the owner to place the system in a completely different building, city or state and still have real-time surveillance where it’s needed while keeping the vital recorder away from unwanted attention."

So they can stream real time 1080P video from the camera to a NVR over a WAN connection.

What? You don't have gigabit upload without bandwidth caps yet????

I'd actually like to see the frame rate the nvr will record at along with how the Internet connection is affected at the subject location. All this marketing nonsense drives me nuts.

Not sure someone that buys Dahua cameras will want to spend $10K/mo for dedicated digital circuit to support a connection between a $200 NVR and a $200 camera. But that doesn't mean it's not possible, just not probable. Weird thing to point that out though but I concur that it's possible, I did it, had an Axis camera 100 miles away over a shared DSL line to a Dahua NVR and at VGA resolution, I may have gotten a frame per second, haha.

That's great news that Costco will carry the 1080P cameras. If it's the 1080P dome, I would expect it to cost the same as the 720P bullet as wholesale is about the same. I'm hoping it's the 1080P bullet, it's so much better than the 720P bullet in many ways. I would expect the bullet to go for double the 720P bullet, so maybe $299 each.

I swapped out the 6mm lens with 2.8mm and found that the new lens is slightly to long. When screwed in enough to focus, it presses against the IR filter. I removed the filter and forced the camera into B&W mode. It'll do.

Has anyone connected IP Cam Viewer on android to one of these cameras? I can get an initial connection using either the Dahua RTPS settings or the generic RTSP, but the image never refreshes after the first frame.

Awesome. When Costco sells something it goes through a huge amount of testing.

I couldn't believe it until I watched the documentary on it.

If they come out with a 8Ch System, For say 999.99 I'll be very hard pressed not to purchase.

It would be nice to get a few more features that come with the Dahua pro DVRs....

I have a 16ch analog. ugh. I've narrowed it down to I need at least 8 Cams at 7.5fps would be fine.

If i could get 8 cams at 15fps I'd be tickled.

Looking forward to see what they come out with before the New year.

What is the email for Costco to recommend products? If we all send emails asking for something specific we may be able to get something rolling. Of course, we know this isn't a Full quality system/

However, Talking Value if they continue to pop out some good value systems like this,

The amount of home owners purchasing NVR IP MP systems is going to BLOW UP

I did a review on the UG802 Android Mini PC with IP CamViewer and worked well with Dahua/Q-See cameras.

Thanks. Checked on your review for settings. I'm using the same settings. Interestingly it works fine on my phone, but not on my tablet. Weird.

Edited by Guest

This is starting to really sound like the ticket for my rural home application. I am running gel-filled CAT5e along with my irrigation trenches now, and have PVC conduit for the rougher areas. I think I can complete the run to the garage in conduit and have some left over to leave a stub for the well pump. I kinda buy as I go.

I really think I will end up with an 8 channel system and I'm especially interested in a Costco option for that. A bundle that saves a nickel on some decent bullets or domes is so much the better, and there are too many online retailers with too many rebranding options to know what the heck I am buying online. Hope that doesn't offend anyone, but it seems like a real problem in this industry (again, from the DIY perspective only).

Y'all have plugged Dahua enough to convince me for my DIY non-shipyard grungy neighbor and night predator purposes.

I guess I would add local IR enhancement for darker areas of interest?

And I really really want a PTZ someday. Or two. I wonder what Costco could do with a decent PTZ option? Maybe too involved for their business model.

I just realized, Each camera comes with 100FT of Cat5. Both the 2 pack and the 4ch system

includes 100ft cat5 per camera. I nice plus considering the price already.

Heres the sample from the 4ch kit.

http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/cp/8973388/module/qsee/_cp/products/1347992530666/tab-3340263e-77d5-4b16-a726-2d5c7be6d294/8f022d8b-4f51-43e8-857e-08582d56f02e.jpg.web.v1.960.jpg

Also notice the dvr states it will record 1080P on all 4ch at 30fps.

If they would add 4 more ports, and allow 1080P at 15fps I'd be sold.

also the batch i received from costco, i ordered 2x (4 camera with nvr packages)

i randomly opened one camera from each box, and they had 25 ir leds, which might indicate that these are 3.6mm lenses, i have not had the chance to power them up through the q-see nvr yet.

i was hoping i could get the web interface on these to work by flashing the dahua firmware to try.

What are you saying? did you power up the Qsee camera from Costco and try to flash the Dahua firmware? And it didn't work? Details?

Maybe it is me but having trouble following your post.

This is starting to really sound like the ticket for my rural home application. I am running gel-filled CAT5e along with my irrigation trenches now, and have PVC conduit for the rougher areas. I think I can complete the run to the garage in conduit and have some left over to leave a stub for the well pump. I kinda buy as I go.

I really think I will end up with an 8 channel system and I'm especially interested in a Costco option for that. A bundle that saves a nickel on some decent bullets or domes is so much the better, and there are too many online retailers with too many rebranding options to know what the heck I am buying online. Hope that doesn't offend anyone, but it seems like a real problem in this industry (again, from the DIY perspective only).

Y'all have plugged Dahua enough to convince me for my DIY non-shipyard grungy neighbor and night predator purposes.

I guess I would add local IR enhancement for darker areas of interest?

And I really really want a PTZ someday. Or two. I wonder what Costco could do with a decent PTZ option? Maybe too involved for their business model.

same here dave... still waiting for the 8ch-16ch costco kits. currently the nvrs are full retail on q-sees site. i e-mailed them 2 weeks ago and was informed they were eventually releasing the 8ch kit at costco. btw their "nvr kit" seems to be exclusive to costco...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/transforming-the-surveillance-industry-164566726.html

http://www.q-seestore.com/platinum-series/