newbie2

New IP Cam / Costco System

I don't like it but I guess people want that clean no wires look and the easiest way is to put the wire in the mount coming out the back. Does look nice when installed, but putting it in is a PITA. Sony, Dahua, ACTi, Avigilon and other's are now doing this on their bullets.

I couldnt mount mine that way. because of house my house is designed. I took an all weather aluminium box, drilled the holes for the camera (3 mount holes and center pigtail hole (1 1/4")) in the cover of the box. Then mounted the camera to that with m10 bolts.

Then I mounted the box portion to the underside of my eve with flex conduit going form the box to a hole in the birdstop. On the back side of the birdstop (in the attic) I placed another connector to preven some jackass from ripping the conduit out. I ran the cat 5 through the conduit into the box and made my connection. I then used security screws to mount the cover to the box!

Sounds complicated but it was actually really easy and turned out pretty clean looking. Ill take a picture when i get a chance.

$180 is a bit much for that. Be easier and I think better to buy the Mini Android PC which would work through the network and I think I saw those for $50. And it gives you other features like a media player too.

Dixit

interesting, any links?

$180 is a bit much for that. Be easier and I think better to buy the Mini Android PC which would work through the network and I think I saw those for $50. And it gives you other features like a media player too.

Dixit

interesting, any links?

http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/Dual-Core-Mini-PC-UG802-Rockchip-3066-Android-4-0-4-1-2GHz-Cortex-A9-Quad-Core-GPU-1GB-RAM-4G-ROM-IPTV-TV-Box-600195/

That's one of them that was on networkcameracritic. $45. But as zikronix mentioned previously, it seems the IPCamera program/app doesn't seem to work with this NVR8-7200 unit, so this is probably not an option for this unit.

Dixit

I have been in contact with the developer of the ipcam program and we tried some things last night. Still confirming that it doesnt work. but its not looking good.

I have been in contact with the developer of the ipcam program and we tried some things last night. Still confirming that it doesnt work. but its not looking good.

dang, thats too bad, this looks like a cool little toy!

dang, thats too bad, this looks like a cool little toy!

Here is the info from the developer of ipcameraviewer

There's probably a compatible driver already in the app. Use Scan Camera function to find compatible drivers.

If you only want Wifi access to camera, then first verify network accessibility by viewing your camera/dvr's login page using the phone/tablet browser.

If you want 2/3/4g access to camera, then verify network setup by viewing your camera/dvr using a PC IE browser from OUTSIDE your home wifi. Next, your phone/tablet browser should be able to load the login page but viewing may not be possible due to lack of active-x IE controls.

See this link for info: http://hit-mob.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47

Once that works, then try my app. The "Scan Camera" function can help when you're not sure of the make/model. Try scanning the device's WEB/MEDIA/MOBILE/DATA ports (shown in device settings).

If Scan Camera return no results, then try to find a driver by DVR port or by login screen:

http://hit-mob.com/contact/default-ports-for-devices/

http://hit-mob.com/contact/login-screens-for-devices/

If you still have problems, even AFTER scanning ALL device's ports, then give me temporary access to it and I'll try to connect.

Just email me the web login URL and a temporary username/password.

Also, include the make/model and a product url link (if possible).

I tried the camera scan on local wifi and got nada. Still testing but it isnt looking good

This is a cross post of a problem im having that I posted in the camera thread.

I have multiple cameras that do this.

http://youtu.be/R3cUCLsze84

It also appears that i have the "softness" issue on the right side. Ill contact costco or swann about that. BTW this video crashes VLC!

Im working with swann to see what the issue is.

8 Cameras, their ethernet cables, and their nvr.

That's odd. Initially when the first car went by I thought it could've been the windshield at the right angle basically blinding the camera for that split second which caused the camera to get blinded and then reset itself for the correct exposure. But then I saw it happen again with no cars, so that odd for sure, seems like camera somehow loses exposure for a split second and then resets itself.

On the Android PC thing, I was thinking, couldn't you run the Swannview NVR app (I see they don't have an HD version of it yet) and use that to view the cameras instead of the IPCamera application? That should work for sure right?

Dixit

That's odd. Initially when the first car went by I thought it could've been the windshield at the right angle basically blinding the camera for that split second which caused the camera to get blinded and then reset itself for the correct exposure. But then I saw it happen again with no cars, so that odd for sure, seems like camera somehow loses exposure for a split second and then resets itself.

On the Android PC thing, I was thinking, couldn't you run the Swannview NVR app (I see they don't have an HD version of it yet) and use that to view the cameras instead of the IPCamera application? That should work for sure right?

Dixit

The swann view nvr app (not to be confused with the four other swan view apps) doest work correctly on 3g 4g...and is really piss poor on wifi. Since andoid doesnt support active x and there is no browser plugin then that shoots that idea down. I sill have some testing to do to see if i can get ip cam viewer working.

Have you tried IPCamViewer, it's free or cheap app that works with every camera I threw at it.

Yes I posted about it a few post back.

I’ve been following this thread (new to forum) and I was hoping to get some input on the surveillance system I was considering setting up. Sorry if this should have been posted in the other Costco cam thread.

Likely 4 (2 sets) of the Swann 1080p's:

http://www.costco.com/Swann-1080p-2-Pack-NVR-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100039914.html

This PC to record (have any suggestions for PC's?):

http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-p7-Desktop%2c-Intel%c2%ae-Core%e2%84%a2-i5-3330-3.0GHz-.product.100037745.html

Using Blue Iris for software:

http://blueirissoftware.com/

Netgear ProSafe GS110TP for POE Switch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KPHYBA

Would it be cheaper and/or better to go with the Swann NVR setup? Seems much cheaper. I don't fully understand what I would gain or lose in either case. I like the idea of being able to fully customize my setup, and it seems with an NVR you'd be more limited. Again, I have no experience with them and am new to surveillance systems.

I’ve been following this thread (new to forum) and I was hoping to get some input on the surveillance system I was considering setting up. Sorry if this should have been posted in the other Costco cam thread.

Likely 4 (2 sets) of the Swann 1080p's:

http://www.costco.com/Swann-1080p-2-Pack-NVR-IP-Bullet-Cameras.product.100039914.html

This PC to record (have any suggestions for PC's?):

http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-p7-Desktop%2c-Intel%c2%ae-Core%e2%84%a2-i5-3330-3.0GHz-.product.100037745.html

Using Blue Iris for software:

http://blueirissoftware.com/

Netgear ProSafe GS110TP for POE Switch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KPHYBA

Would it be cheaper and/or better to go with the Swann NVR setup? Seems much cheaper. I don't fully understand what I would gain or lose in either case. I like the idea of being able to fully customize my setup, and it seems with an NVR you'd be more limited. Again, I have no experience with them and am new to surveillance systems.

IMO (and I certainly don't have enough experience to spit at), the 8-port switch gives you an option to add more cameras in the future if wanted or needed (taht's good). The i5 desktop should be sufficient but I'd prefer an i7 (if money grew on trees eh?). How many DIM slots inside this machine (if only 2 then you'll have to through out some of the memory it comes with for a future memory upgrade...I'd prefer 4 slots minimum)? Blue Iris really is an incredible piece of work, but it hammers your processor (so it needs an i5 minimum IMO...4 2MP cams on a BI i5 machine should no no problem what-so-ever). Your disk should be 7200rpm so overall that machine looks decent. The verdict is still out on these Swann\Costco 2-pack cameras...initial feedback is that they look good...but it's only the top of the 2nd inning brother. I've been thinking that Acti cams may be better overall, although at a greater cost. Forget the NVR, Blue Iris software capabilities will run circles around those Costco NVRs IMO...yes a PC, POE switch and Blue Iris will cost more but -- IMHO -- if your got the dough do it bro...you will not regret it.

Q2 what if you wanted to go with 8 cameras with the ability to upgrade to 16 in the future, what kinda hardware we talking?

Also will these costco cameras work with this...i know the verdict is still out on if they were flashed.

Edited by Guest

Q2 what if you wanted to go with 8 cameras with the ability to upgrade to 16 in the future, what kinda hardware we talking?

Dude, I'm telling I don't know squat about this stuff. guys like Buellwinkle do. But I've certaily got an opinion bro!

I say i7 processor + 12gb ram + Win7 64-bit OS + 2tb 7200rpm drive (minimum) + a 16 port POE switch (15 cams + the pc = 16). The POE switch may cost you a bit of change bro. This is for running Blue Iris which is all I know. There are Linux and other WinOS camera management system alternatives out there but I don't know much about them. 15 cams @ 2MP each is a boatload of bandwidth...I really dunno if the spec'ed i7 machine is capable of that...I really have no idea.

Edited by Guest

Only thing I would point out from what I noticed, not sure if this matters or not, but the Swann IP Cameras appear to be using some proprietary protocol when using the NVR. Not sure if this means the Camera doesn't support anything else or not. I just noticed under "Camera Management" the "Protocol" says "SWANN". So thought I would point that out. I have no experience using this with anything else, not have I tried.

Dixit

Only thing I would point out from what I noticed, not sure if this matters or not, but the Swann IP Cameras appear to be using some proprietary protocol when using the NVR. Not sure if this means the Camera doesn't support anything else or not. I just noticed under "Camera Management" the "Protocol" says "SWANN". So thought I would point that out. I have no experience using this with anything else, not have I tried.

Dixit

it supports onvif supposedly...it also might be possible to be flashed

An update on my camera "flashing" issue. Swann worked on the nvr for a few hours...and In the end we did a firmware update to the nvr. Which I thought was almost catastrophic, it looked like it bombed. We reset the entire system to defaults. And it looks like the cameras are no longer flashing. One theory was that the main stream, which I has set at 720p and the record event stream at 1080p might have been causing the issue. In the manual it recommends they be the same in the new firmware you cant make them different.

Which could also be why VLC wouldn't play the videos right.

As far as the soft right side. I have maybe 5 cameras out of the 8 that have the soft right side. I am going to pull video for swann again. They said if it is there we will replace.

...Also will these costco cameras work with this...i know the verdict is still out on if they were flashed.

Will these cameras work with what?

...Also will these costco cameras work with this...i know the verdict is still out on if they were flashed.

in blue iris for example. or would they need to be flashed and hope they work?

I have mine working with Blue Iris, no problem what-so-ever. The setup is as simple as this...

218152_1.jpg

Bro...tell you what...you have Costco ship your cameras to me. I will configure all of them for you at a nominal charge of one (1) camera. You send me 8 and I will send you back 7 configured cameras!

Bro...tell you what...you have Costco ship your cameras to me. I will configure all of them for you at a nominal charge of one (1) camera. You send me 8 and I will send you back 7 configured cameras!

LOL right. This is just my back up plan, if I have to Ill sell off the NVR. The only hang up I have about building my own box, is I want the stability of an appliance and linux. Im not going to lie...my linux skills are a little rough. I know I can build a stable box, but I just want it to work...granted were not really off toa good start. Swann told me that FPS doesnt matter...i was like riiiiiiight.