newbie2

New IP Cam / Costco System

MaxIcon, the cameras come up in the Swann system as model SWNHD-820CAM, firmware says V4.0.9 build 130106.

It's nice and compact, though I don't care for the integrated mounts in modern consumer-grade IP cams.

Looks like it might be based on a Hikvision Raptor DS-2CD2012-I, from the google results:

http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=6968

215626_1.jpg

This is a 1.3MP cam, but is clearly the same model line as the Swann cam.

Software version came up with this:

http://www.hikvision.msk.ru/search/2013-02-06 (translated from Russian)

Users type Raptor 2012.12. 06 v4.0.8 build 121109 type Raptor V4.0.9 build 130106 is available only for type Raptor 2013 . 02 .20 v4.0.8 build 121109 ...

Searching on Hikvision Raptor came up with this press release:

http://www.secsolution.com/notizia.asp?id=2456

215626_2.jpg

There's a Hikvision slideshow for 2012 here that shows the Q4 introduction of "New Platform - The Raptor", including a bullet cam.

Edited by Guest

Well then the next question I have not knowing Hikvision cameras is, how is the reputation for that? Good, or cheap consumer? On par with dahua?

Another question I have is something Tom mentioned a while back- what's the wattage/amperage for the POE overall?

The only way anyone is gonna know the real deal with this system is if someone experienced gets a hold of it. This is four pages of almost nothing informative.

I'll stop by the Hikvision and Swann booth in less than two weeks and let you know what they say and how the cameras perform at the ISC show. At least Hikvision is in the U.S., unlike Dahua which is afraid of the U.S.

People consistently say the fan in this unit is loud. I've been down the loud fan road before- not good. Fan noise should be minimal and not an issue. Aside from other things that probably aren't good, the one glaring problem is absolutely no choice in cameras. You can't even buy a separate camera bundle to fill all eight channels. This just doesn't look like it will be the right balance of things. The avertX unit is the only one that seems to have balanced everything you'd want in a system. Those packages aren't cheap, but at least you can build a proper system with camera choices. But who has from 2,800 to 3,600 bucks to put together an 8 channel system the way you want it? Not many.

Hi,

I am new to the forum and my english is not that good. I have both Q-see QC804 NVR & Swann NVR8-7200. I bought Swann coz I need 8 cameras. I tried hooking up qsee camera to swann & vice versa with no luck in both of them working. I have not set up internet access to Swann yet. but I find it much easier to configure Qsee compared to Swann (from documentation). so far right now my Qsee is all hook up outside while Swann is still being tested inside. let me know what you want me to test or guide me to whatever you guys want to try.

Hi,

I am new to the forum and my english is not that good. I have both Q-see QC804 NVR & Swann NVR8-7200. I bought Swann coz I need 8 cameras. I tried hooking up qsee camera to swann & vice versa with no luck in both of them working. I have not set up internet access to Swann yet. but I find it much easier to configure Qsee compared to Swann (from documentation). so far right now my Qsee is all hook up outside while Swann is still being tested inside. let me know what you want me to test or guide me to whatever you guys want to try.

Can the swan run all cameras at 1080p, 60FPS?

Also, can we see some video from your swan in 1080p? Would love to see video quality in day and night. I have an ftp server if you need help hosting these videos.

Hi,

are you sure 100% they work together?

Or to put it more precisely:

Does the QSee NVR support Hikvision cameras, and does the Swann NVR support Dahua cameras?

I doubt it is recording all 4 cameras at 60fps. I recorded some video from all 4 cameras simultaneously, and then exported the video. The properties of the export file says its 60fps, but watching a car go by, there is a little bit of "skipping" so even I know it's not 30fps. I'm not technical enough with video, but more than happy to work with someone who is.

I doubt it is recording all 4 cameras at 60fps. I recorded some video from all 4 cameras simultaneously, and then exported the video. The properties of the export file says its 60fps, but watching a car go by, there is a little bit of "skipping" so even I know it's not 30fps. I'm not technical enough with video, but more than happy to work with someone who is.

Are you able to upload some clips for us? How is the day/night quality?

Hi,

are you sure 100% they work together?

"I tried hooking up qsee camera to swann & vice versa with no luck in both of them working."

Are you able to upload some clips for us? How is the day/night quality?

flynreelow is helping me to post a couple of short clips I extracted from my Swann NVR for all to see, as I don't have a good place to post them.

I haven't installed the cameras outside, so what I did was hook up all 4 cameras, and placed them on a window sill. So the videos are all looking out through a double paned window. You might notice some reflections in the corner areas. Also, I haven't bothered with updating the time yet, so it's an hour behind from actual time due to DST. All 4 cameras were recording. I extracted clips from just one of the cameras. I don't know if these are a good test since there is limited motion.

The first clip still had pretty strong light before sunset, the second was getting close to sunset so the lighting is dimmer. I made the clips of cars going by on the street, since there wouldn't be much other motion to judge. I don't know how may FPS we're getting, but I will say that these clips look smoother than I originally thought - but my earlier impression was based on video recorded in dimmer light than today, so maybe that affects FPS?

Outdoor night/IR shots obviously wouldn't work through a window due to the LEDs, so I don't have samples of those. I can say that I did try it out inside a little at night, and the LEDs seem powerful enough to light about 50 feet very well (longest distance inside my house from where I've got the system).

The fan is loud, looks to be a small one on the right side of the case. Maybe only ~1 inch diameter? In a non-scientific approach, I used an iPhone decibel app - it measured about 55-60db right next to the fan, versus ~40-45 for a quiet room.

I hope someone figures out if other cameras can work with the Swann NVR. The camera configuration in the NVR says it supports ONVIF.

Here is the codec detailed info, shows variable for frame rate.

Clip1

General
Complete name                            : Clip1try2.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-PS
File size                                : 4.84 MiB
Duration                                 : 13s 151ms
Overall bit rate                         : 3 090 Kbps

Video
ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Main@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Duration                                 : 13s 151ms
Bit rate                                 : 3 028 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Stream size                              : 4.75 MiB (98%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Clip2

General
Complete name                            : Clip2try2.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-PS
File size                                : 9.22 MiB
Duration                                 : 25s 527ms
Overall bit rate                         : 3 030 Kbps

Video
ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Main@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
Duration                                 : 25s 527ms
Bit rate                                 : 2 970 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Stream size                              : 9.04 MiB (98%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Looking at the video the car and the bird flying by seems to be at least 15fps, clarity looks pretty good to me. And you said these were through a window pane right?

Dixit

Yes, through a window. Not particularly dirty, but not clean clean either.

So can we safely conclude that it seems like this NVR is capable of recording around 4x 1080p cameras at ~15fps?

I cant say for sure, Was the NVR recording all 4 at the same time this clip was taken? If so I guess we can say that.

Id really like to know myself (since Im really interested in putting this one at my house) if it can truly handle 8 cameras at 1080p and still have a high framerate.

Dixit

All Dahua NVR's can record at Maximum 120FPS at 1080p at a lower bit rate which is not true 1080p.

For true 1080p you need 4096kbps.

So you can get max channels as follow:

4ch NVR = 2 Cameras at 1080p 10 FPS Maybe 15FPS

8ch NVR = 4 Cameras at 1080p

16ch NVR = 8 Cameras at 1080p

Im new to CCTV so I have nothing to really base this on, but I think this is a very reasonable entry level IP NVR solution. I know this is the demographic Swann is after with this system and honestly the cameras look great (all 4), and setup is easy. The system is only going to be used to monitor employees while im away, and for reference should anything go missing, and the quality and cost are right in line or above what I expected. I have only one issue which makes me consider returning this and going down a different road. I need to have mobile viewing and this is the only feature I am having trouble with. Has anyone else gotten this working successfully? The reviews on the "SwannView NVR" app from the droid market are extremely lackluster, but only 2 people have reviewed it, but both claim that the mobile viewing is broken. The WiFi for the app works great, but I need to see the cams off-site. I only have Sprint 3g in my area but was told it shouldn't matter. Id be grateful if anyone with a different phone/carrier/4g would test this for me, as the customer support rep said she could see my cameras fine. Id also be ok with anyone viewing from the web, but obviously Im not going to post the login info here. PM me for this info. Also I see a lot of people wanting to have questions answered if there are any specifics anyone would like to know, Id be happy to help. I plan on testing this system for at least the next week before it either gets installed or returned.

The noise is definitely audible, but not as loud as a hairdryer as some have put it. Its no more noisy than an old PC PSU, but with that said my install is going into a commercial application and not my home, it will be around lots of other background noise and it will not be a problem. Home users should definitely not plan on installing in a living area. Basement, attic, or closet should definitely be considered.

For others questioning when the other cameras will be available, this is the email I received from Swann. Unsurprised I have not received a reply about the problems Im having with mobile viewing.

"Thank you for your interest in Swann!

The cameras are currently not available separately, but will be sold by Costco.com in the following weeks to come. We just received them in stock and are in the process of uploading them to our system

and onto Costco’s website for sale. You should expect to see them on costco.com within the next couple of weeks. Thank you!

Saulo

Customer Service

Swann Communications USA Inc

12636 Clark Street

Santa Fe Springs CA 90670 USA

P (800) 627 2799 | F (562) 906 3983

E swannusa@swann.com"

Just ordered this with 6 cameras (4+2) Will provide night video and observations as soon as i set up.

I just ordered this as well. This after many years of saying I was going to do it. Both of our vehicles were broken into last night. This seemed the best bang for my buck. I am computer tech and net admin and while I would love to put really highend stuff in place. I also need to be realistic. I suspect this thing will be about as loud as a cisco switch. Not sure where Im going to put it yet but Ill find a spot.

Where did you get your other two cameras? I didnt see them on costcos site.