newbie2

New IP Cam / Costco System

You know opinions vary wide enough on the fan noise issue that it makes me wonder if they changed the fans for quieter ones in subsequent runs. But from hardly noticeable to louder than a dishwasher?! That's two extremes for sure. Makes me curious- someone should ask if quieter fans were put in along the way...or if they can be!

I'd call the fan noise "moderate" at best. It's not a hush, but it's also not a "whoosh"! Mine will be installed inside a cabinet in my office - and I know that that will quite it a lot. There's ventillation via both the door edges, and I've also got a computer fan installed blowing the warm air out - and it's not very noticable at all. If an intruder happened to enter, I'm sure they wouldn't be drawn to it, especially with the alarm going off! If it were simply on a desktop (location), it could be heard - but still not terrible by my standards. YMMV.

Has anyone had any problems with the "email" feature? I've tried everything I can think of, but still get an error message when I try to "test or "apply" The message says "please enter a valid senders address" as well as the "receivers address". I got a hold of swann tech support, spent about an hour on the phone with him, no luck, said I have to wait for a "senior tech" to get a hold of me. I also tried Costco's tech support, and spent another hour or so. (which by the way, both were very helpful outside of fixing my problem, very impressed). I have a Netgear router, and my service provider is Comcast.

::figured it out::

Edited by Guest

Here the most accurate method I can give to you folks on how loud this unit is or isn't. I used my calibrated db meter I use to calibrate my Home Theater system.

This is with the unit on. This is dialed to the lowest range on the db meter (60). So its about 54db with the Unit on, there is nothing else in this room on, its dead silent when its off.

217881_1.jpg

Here is with the Unit off, you can see my db meter cant pickup anything, its basically saying its below 50db which is the lowest reading possible on this meter.

217881_2.jpg

And to confirm its pretty much the same as the fan on your desktop running full tilt. Its not hair dryer loud for sure, no question about that. My hair dryer on low is 81db, at high its 90db. So to say its as loud as a hair dryer is a bit stretching it. It basically has this single speed fan on the CPU from the pictures I put earlier. It would've been nicer I guess if they put a PWM based fan on it (ones where it ramps up speed as it needs). And since the unit is so slim, the heat sink isn't large either, so to compensate, they probably just got a more CFM/RPM fan to blow as much air through that small heat sink to make sure the temps don't go outside the range. They could've solved it a bit better by putting those slim heat sinks but it covers like 4x6" area, basically they make it slim but use a large surface area then had maybe two small low speed fans. But this is the design they went with, they were probably not concerned with noise considering this thing came with rack mount tabs as well.

Dixit

54db is pretty quiet. That's awesome data to have....thanks!

Anyone know if the Swann model is coming back to Costco? I'm looking at the Qsee but would prefer the wider angle and the better resolution of the Swann.

Mike

54db seems to be in line with my "real world" analogy of a pc spinning up its fans to full speed to encode video. I looked up my dishwasher specs and it runs at 40db, so probably not a great analogy - sorry. According to Google 60-70db is normal conversation from 1m so as long as any thiefs robbing my place stay close together and are talking normally, they will not hear the NVR recording them I need to find a spot to put this thing so it is not stolen and defeats the purpose of it - anyone hooking these up to alarm systems that are DIY?

Mine is in my laundry room. Its noticable. Cant hear it with the door closed. and the locking cabinet im going to put it in also has fans. PC during encoding or laptop running full speed...seems pretty accurate. Its not as loud as a cisco switch, but i wouldnt want it in my living room, Put it that way.

I need to find a spot to put this thing so it is not stolen and defeats the purpose of it - anyone hooking these up to alarm systems that are DIY?

I thought about that...but theres too much motion around my house to have it activate the alarm. I am buying a locking cabinet for it though.

These are what im getting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752352-REG/Video_Mount_Products_DVR_LB1_DVR_LB1_DVR_Lockbox_with.html

And a UPS. Just in case some wise ass tries to be smart!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533944-REG/APC_SC450RM1U_SC450RM1U_Smart_UPS_Uninterruptible_Power.html

Still looking for a wireless vga/hdmi extender w/usb hopefully that doesnt suck ass

Anyone know if the Swann model is coming back to Costco? I'm looking at the Qsee but would prefer the wider angle and the better resolution of the Swann.

Mike

Really. Right now there is a dearth of IP package selection at Costco; no network Swann's, no mid-range Q-See package (8 ch. IP with 1080?), and the Avertx at the high price and a less than desirable camera mix (for me).

I emailed Swann but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully they are just waiting for the next run with fan mufflers and hard right edges . I liked their lens selection better, and I'm ready to go if they show back up.

I need to find a spot to put this thing so it is not stolen and defeats the purpose of it - anyone hooking these up to alarm systems that are DIY?

I thought about that...but theres too much motion around my house to have it activate the alarm. I am buying a locking cabinet for it though.

These are what im getting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752352-REG/Video_Mount_Products_DVR_LB1_DVR_LB1_DVR_Lockbox_with.html

And a UPS. Just in case some wise ass tries to be smart!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/533944-REG/APC_SC450RM1U_SC450RM1U_Smart_UPS_Uninterruptible_Power.html

Still looking for a wireless vga/hdmi extender w/usb hopefully that doesnt suck ass

Thanks for the links - I might do the same.

For extending your hdmi - I assume you just want to be able to get the feed elsewhere - try buellwinkle's approach which uses a cheapo android "pc":

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1049

Look in the comments of the above article for some wired network solutions too.

Mike

Really. Right now there is a dearth of IP package selection at Costco; no network Swann's, no mid-range Q-See package (8 ch. IP with 1080?), and the Avertx at the high price and a less than desirable camera mix (for me).

I emailed Swann but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully they are just waiting for the next run with fan mufflers and hard right edges . I liked their lens selection better, and I'm ready to go if they show back up.

I ordered mine on Sunday April 14th - the last day of their $899 sale for the 8CH NVR. I was curious to see if Costco would then sell for $1,199 the next day, but it was actually removed from their web site altogether. I'm sure it'll be back since Costco is their primary retail seller.

Yea Id like to move the display to some where else...its not required but I would like to have access to it. I could use a wired extender but, where its at that may not be a option. Ive used many wireless hdmi extenders, but ive never seen one for usb.

The only otherthing ive got to figure out is their remote app...sucks big time across 3G. Works fine on wireless which tells me its an app problem.

Lev 2 tech says the mobile app is being worked and update will be posted via app stores per usual. No date given, but thought not too long a wait. They are aware of the issues.

I'am too got the same problem with remote access on ATT with Galaxy S3 phone.

Thanks for the info . I can't wait to see the update app....

Im with some of these other folks too on viewing elsewhere in that I intend on putting this unit tucked away somewhere and really no way to run 70ft cable to where I want to view it. So HDMI using twisted pair wont work.

Id like to look into some way of viewing it on my TV. HDMI over IP sounds interesting but quick search make it seem this is going to run me close to $500 for the transmitter and receiver modules. Cause I have Gigabit network all over the place so that's easier.

My friend just mentioned VGA over IP, but not sure about that, cant remember if my LG Plasma takes VGA in.

That Android Mini computer seems interesting but realistically looking at the default view would be nice. But now that I think about it, that might also have disadvantages in that obviously id have no way of selecting a cam for full screen view, it would be a fixed view. That might be a problem.

Dixit

That's not going to work, it says 30ft line of sight, so that means no walls. I have at least 60-70ft with a few walls as well. Wireless mouse isn't going to travel that far either, most of those work at most 5-10ft away from their transmitter.

Looking more into it, seems like these Android PCs might be the better option and running the IP Camera viewer app to basically hook into the RSTP port and show the feed from each camera.

Dixit

Monoprice sells them as well and they work. My issue is I want one with usb so I can use the mouse if i wanted to.

EDIT: The one posted above does USB too I think...this might be it

Edited by Guest

$180 is a bit much for that. Be easier and I think better to buy the Mini Android PC which would work through the network and I think I saw those for $50. And it gives you other features like a media player too.

Dixit

$180 is a bit much for that. Be easier and I think better to buy the Mini Android PC which would work through the network and I think I saw those for $50. And it gives you other features like a media player too.

Dixit

The ipcamera program doesnt seem to work with this nvr (Nvr8-7200) ive tired various methods and i cant get it to work. which just shoots the enire idea down. And if you have used the current swann nvr view app...that aint going to work

Additionally I want to be able to have local access view to the nvr. I have a dvr that i can install the client software on and thats fine. But ideally I want the ability to have a remote screen and mouse in a totally different location.

The ipcamera program doesnt seem to work with this nvr (Nvr8-7200) ive tired various methods and i cant get it to work. which just shoots the enire idea down. And if you have used the current swann nvr view app...that aint going to work

Additionally I want to be able to have local access view to the nvr. I have a dvr that i can install the client software on and thats fine. But ideally I want the ability to have a remote screen and mouse in a totally different location.

Ah man....... guess that is out the picture now. Guess that HDMI with Mouse via wifi is my option then as well. Will have to see if the range is truly 100ft through walls. It will be going a good 60-70ft through roof, walls, ceiling.

Dixit

If you want a long run HDMI check this out.

It's a High Performance HDMI for long runs( 50ft ), Or short.... and it's really thin... I mean like a charger cable for your smart phone thin...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255

They also sell Bulk cat5 which turns out to be 7.9 cents per ft...

They also sell Bulk cat6 which turns out to be 10 cents per ft....

I have no affiliation, just trying to help other members out with best prices.

If you want a long run HDMI check this out.

It's a High Performance HDMI for long runs( 50ft ), Or short.... and it's really thin... I mean like a charger cable for your smart phone thin...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255

They also sell Bulk cat5 which turns out to be 7.9 cents per ft...

They also sell Bulk cat6 which turns out to be 10 cents per ft....

I have no affiliation, just trying to help other members out with best prices.

I just had the insulation reblown in my house, When I re-ran everything. I love monoprice. You should have seen me trying to run these net cables in a clean fasion with out destroying the new insulation. lol fun times in arizona heat!

I bought a 1000ft of Cat5 bulk and going to be doing the wiring soon, in a few days hopefully. Original owner had 8camera analog system they took them when they sold the house. I had the roof/attic entirely spray foamed, so the analog cables going to the outside of the house are basically embedded in this spray foam. So I plan on just tying/taping the new cable to it from the outside, tug on the analog cable from the inside and pull it through hopefully. then just need to crimp the ends on.

What does sort of disappoint me about the cameras is the large female end RJ45 connector, its going to require almost a 1" hole to clear that through the soffit portion. I wish they made the pigtail shorter and somehow basically sit in the bracket portion of the camera, that way you would only need practically a 1/4" hole for just the cable to pass through, nothing else.

Dixit