newbie2

New IP Cam / Costco System

Any confirmation these swann have the same exact specs? Meaning, If I'm correct that they Are 3MP?

I'm just guessing this from the resolution from the above posts...

If so, what are the chances a Hik can will function w/ the Swann NVR?

What is the general opinion of Hik cams among professionals? Solid mid-grade, or less?

If so, what are the chances a Hik can will function w/ the Swann NVR?

What is the general opinion of Hik cams among professionals? Solid mid-grade, or less?

At a price of $349.00 for a 2-pack, how good can they be. They certainly cannot circumvent the rule of "you get what you pay for," eh?

Here are the 2 quick Videos that cchan has uploaded for us.

Please right click, save as, (as my server wont allow streaming of these video files)

http://www.quickbay.biz/cchan/

Just added 3 more sample/test videos so there are 5 now. In particular, I added some nighttime video clips.

To recap:

Clips 1 & 2 - recorded late afternoon, with all 4 cameras recording simultaneously.

Clips 3, 4, & 5 - only a single camera was connected during the recording.

#3 gives you an idea of the scene during the day for comparison to 4 and 5. Camera was just placed outside of my front door for this test, similar view as #1 and 2 but different location.

#4 is at night - Street is lit by a streetlight to the right off camera, but otherwise no other lighting on the pathway, plant on the right, lawn, and outside of the house on the left, that is from the camera's IR LEDs.

#5 - I decided to turn the front house lights on/off to see what adding visible light does.

Resolution is certainly lower at night than day... how does this compare with other cameras?

Thanks again to flynreelow for hosting these.

I can't view these. the only option chrome gives me is to save link as not target... And non of them will play.

Chrome sucks? lol

Edit: Tried IE, Didn't work either. Also tried Firefox.

Once I do save target as it needs the internet to find the info to play but still can't play after that....

Real Player, Windows Media Player and quick time wont play it. None recognize the file type....

Download VLC Player and it will play them.

Here are the 2 quick Videos that cchan has uploaded for us.

Please right click, save as, (as my server wont allow streaming of these video files)

http://www.quickbay.biz/cchan/

Just added 3 more sample/test videos so there are 5 now. In particular, I added some nighttime video clips.

To recap:

Clips 1 & 2 - recorded late afternoon, with all 4 cameras recording simultaneously.

Clips 3, 4, & 5 - only a single camera was connected during the recording.

#3 gives you an idea of the scene during the day for comparison to 4 and 5. Camera was just placed outside of my front door for this test, similar view as #1 and 2 but different location.

#4 is at night - Street is lit by a streetlight to the right off camera, but otherwise no other lighting on the pathway, plant on the right, lawn, and outside of the house on the left, that is from the camera's IR LEDs.

#5 - I decided to turn the front house lights on/off to see what adding visible light does.

Resolution is certainly lower at night than day... how does this compare with other cameras?

Thanks again to flynreelow for hosting these.

I can't view these. the only option chrome gives me is to save link as not target... And non of them will play.

Chrome sucks? lol

Edit: Tried IE, Didn't work either. Also tried Firefox.

Once I do save target as it needs the internet to find the info to play but still can't play after that....

Real Player, Windows Media Player and quick time wont play it. None recognize the file type....

I just received mine as well. Ordered the Swann off Costco and the 4 extra cameras bringing it to 8 cameras, cost me close to what almost $1700.

Opened it up and noticed the back panel of the NVR wasn't fully seated at the bottom. Im OCD so it was annoying me and decided since there is no warranty label on the NVR I might as well open it. Before I did open it I noticed in another box was the power cable, remote, network cable, and a SATA cable. Im like whats this for? So I was intrigued. So I opened the NVR to fix the back plate to be seated properly and to my surprise there is another spot for a 2nd HDD for expansion as well as that is what the 2nd SATA cable is for. Its already prewired for power just need to mount the 2nd HDD and put the 2nd SATA cable in there. I took some pictures of the inside for anyone else who is curious about the internals.

It definitely is not loud at all, I have a dB meter for my Home Theater system and I could put that upto it and take some pictures/videos to prove its not loud.

Need to do some more testing on this. I initially tried to hookup the camera to the NVR using a standard network cable I had sitting (like a 6ft) and the camera didn't power up or connect, it only worked when I used the 60ft network cable supplied. I hope this isn't some proprietary cable or some sort, I bought a 1000ft bulk cable of Cat5e, I was intending on running it myself around the house and fishing it through the attic, etc and just crimp on the RJ45 jacks. Maybe its just a different pinout they use instead of standard 568A/568B cable. But again need to do some more testing on that. Ive only played with it for about 30mins so far.

Here is the pictures of the internals and closeups of the HDD, Power Supply, Main board itself, SATA port.

217647_1.jpg

217647_2.jpg

217647_3.jpg

217647_4.jpg

217647_5.jpg

217647_6.jpg

do you know what processor is on that board?

Yes, pop the fan off it and tell us what's written on the top of the processor. You may have to wipe some thermal compound away to see the markings.

Doesn't seem that easy to pop the fan off. Almost seems like its screwed in from the bottom of the the board. Those release pins didn't release the fan off the CPU.

Look for a spring clip. If none, then the thermal compound is actong like glue. Use a hair dryer to heat the fan & CPU up and then pop thay sucker off.

Don't worry about messing anything up. Rememeber it's from Cotsco. This is for the binifit of everyone. lol

Aren't those 4 screws on the corners of the fan? Looks like black plastic caps over the screws or

something.r

Man someone owes me for tearing this thing apart. As I suspected, this isn't your ordinary heat sink spring clip, Im familiar with those, built many computers in my day.

Ended up having to basically unplug everything off the board, unscrew the board, and from the bottom you can see these are basically one time use clips for the holes through the motherboard. So ended up having to use needle nose pliers to carefully squeeze them inwards to pop them through the hole.

The heat sink finally came off and cleaned up the TIM which was unusually hard, then took the picture below. Its a TI chip.

217687_1.jpg

Here is the spring clip which you can see is only meant for one time use.

217687_2.jpg

Heres the indepth details about this processor. Its an ARM Cortex A8 Core

Features

• High-Performance DaVinci™ Digital Media Processors

– ARM Cortex™-A8 RISC MPU

•Up to 1.2 GHz

– C674x VLIW DSP

•Up to 1.0 GHz

•Up to 8000/6000 C674x MIPS/MFLOPS

•Fully Software-Compatible with C67x+™and C64x+™

• ARM Cortex™-A8 Core

– ARMv7 Architecture

•In-Order, Dual-Issue, Superscalar Microprocessor Core

•NEON™ Multimedia Architecture

– Supports Integer and Floating Point (VFPv3-IEEE754 compliant)

•Jazelle RCT Execution Environment

• ARM Cortex™-A8 Memory Architecture

– 32K-Byte Instruction and Data Caches

– 256K-Byte L2 Cache

– 64K-Byte RAM, 48K-Byte Boot ROM

• TMS320C674x Floating-Point VLIW DSP

– 64 General-Purpose Registers (32-Bit)

– Six ALU (32-/40-Bit) Functional Units

•Supports 32-Bit Integer, SP (IEEE Single Precision/32-Bit) and DP (IEEE Double Precision/64-Bit) Floating Point

•Supports up to Four SP Adds Per Clock and Four DP Adds Every Two Clocks

•Supports up to Two Floating-Point (SP or DP) Approximate Reciprocal or Square Root Operations Per Cycle

– Two Multiply Functional Units

•Mixed-Precision IEEE Floating-Point Multiply Supported up to:

– 2 SP x SP → SP Per Clock

– 2 SP x SP → DP Every Two Clocks

– 2 SP x DP → DP Every Three Clocks

– 2 DP x DP → DP Every Four Clocks

•Fixed-Point Multiply Supports Two 32 x 32 Multiplies, Four 16 x 16-bit Multiplies including Complex Multiplies, or Eight 8 x 8-Bit Multiplies per Clock Cycle

• C674x Two-Level Memory Architecture

– 32K-Byte L1P and L1D RAM/Cache

– 256K-Byte L2 Unified Mapped RAM/Caches

• DSP/EDMA Memory Management Unit (DEMMU)

– Maps C674x DSP and EMDA TCB Memory Accesses to System Addresses

• 512K-Bytes On-Chip Memory Controller (OCMC) RAM

• Up to Three Programmable High-Definition Video Image Coprocessing (HDVICP2) Engines

– Encode, Decode, Transcode Operations

– H.264, MPEG2, VC1, MPEG4 SP/ASP

• SGX530 3D Graphics Engine (available only on the DM8168/DM8166 device)

– Delivers up to 30 MTriangles/s

– Universal Scalable Shader Engine

– Direct3D OpenVG™ 1.1, OpenMax™ API Support

– Advanced Geometry DMA Driven Operation

– Programmable HQ Image Anti-Aliasing

• Endianness

– ARM/DSP Instructions/Data – Little Endian

• HD Video Processing Subsystem (HDVPSS)

– Two 165 MHz HD Video Capture Channels

Just got mine installed same here, Did 8 cams. The device is a little noisy but over all its not too bad.

Is there a guide for best configuration practices for these things?

I'd be interested in "hearing" how loud other peoples NVR's are - I consider mine too loud to even go into a closet as you can still hear it clearly on the other side of the door - thinking I may have an "extra loud" unit. While testing it was on my counter in the kitchen and the fan was louder than my dishwasher - seems comparable to a desktop pc spinning up all its fans when you're encoding video.