buellwinkle

2 1080P IR Bullets at Costco for 349

At least one person who flashed their Dahua to the QSee firmware was having trouble getting it to go back. Dunno where they ended up with that.

If they have a JTAG or TFTP interface, that should be a way to work around the limitations, possibly bricking your cam in the process...

Bro...I'm really disappointed in you! I thought you were a boldly go where no man hast gone before typa guy.

I had too many already. lol

So what did happen when u tried flashing...

If I stall long enough someone else will do it. I haven't bricked anything since 1995. I'm ona roll bro an I don't wanna break the streak.

He is bold, he's still trying to get his Dahua 3MP camera to record smooth video on BlueIris.

I'm torn on getting 4 of these or wait for Dahua mini-bullet and get a Dahua NVR. The Swann cameras look great but can't pull the trigger because I can't figure out the recording side of things. What are you guys using for recording the video? From my understanding I've really got two options... 1) Get an inexpensive ftp network drive and have the cameras ftp motion detected clips to the drive. Or 2) Use a pretty high end PC (top of the line i5 or maybe even i7) and run Blue Iris (or some other NVR software). I can get a Dahua NVR for about $300 but I can't build a i5/i7 system for that price. What are you guys with this camera (or other multiple 1080p cameras) doing?

For live viewing (TV, PC, Android) there seems to be lots of inexpensive options right?

Sorry if my confusion seems silly. This is my first attempt at setting up security cameras for my home.

The main advantage to going PC/3rd party software is expansion possibilities. You can use just about any brand of camera(anything the software will support). PCs can also be upgraded easily and at a reasonable cost.

One is not so "locked in" with a PC and say Blue Iris as you would be with a specific brand NVR/same brand camera.

Would it be possible to get a screenshot of the web interface on these Swann cameras?

I am assuming they will hook to IE, Firefox, etc so we can get into the camera for settings, etc as that cannot be done with BI.

And, does anyone have the actual Hikvision equivalent cam with Hikvision firmware or have we just seen the Swann firmware in the Hikvision cam to this point?

There are also some good new PCs available with Windows 7 for $400-500. We just picked up a Dell VOSTRO 270s, Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit, Intel core i3-3220(3.3 GHz), 500GB HD, 4GB DDR3 for $400 delivered. Probably better deals than that out there. External Hard drives are cheap too.

I do seven cams, 2 are 1.3MP with Blue Iris on an ACER M3970 and Blue Iris, almost the same specs as the Vostro above except a 2 TB HD and 6 GB of RAM. My CPU runs about 20% and this is not a dedicated PC as we use it for everything. We do mainly watch on our lan only and record at will only(less CPU use) as we are way back in the boonies. Closest human is 1/2 mile away and everybody is armed here in North Idaho. Not like city life. Pretty safe from bad guys. We are also at the end of a 1 mile road, only one way in.

...Closest human is 1/2 mile away and everybody is armed here in North Idaho. Not like city life. Pretty safe from bad guys. We are also at the end of a 1 mile road, only one way in.

When the SHTF the good guys can become the bad guys in a heartbeat and I believe that the transition formula may work something like this: ((Preparedness / Need) x Sheeple Index) = Probable Good Guy To Bad Guy Transition.

From my understanding I've really got two options... 1) Get an inexpensive ftp network drive and have the cameras ftp motion detected clips to the drive. Or 2) Use a pretty high end PC (top of the line i5 or maybe even i7) and run Blue Iris (or some other NVR software). I can get a Dahua NVR for about $300 but I can't build a i5/i7 system for that price. What are you guys with this camera (or other multiple 1080p cameras) doing?

You mention buying a Dahua NVR..... Why Not buy the Swann NVR?

Why would that be any different than a Dahua NVR. There may be different options in the two NVRs but I'm not sure about them all.

You mention buying a Dahua NVR..... Why Not buy the Swann NVR?

Why would that be any different than a Dahua NVR. There may be different options in the two NVRs but I'm not sure about them all.

Does anyone know if the Swan NVR is also a HIKVision product? I posted in anther thread that Swan was adamant that the NVR would only work with cameras plugged directly into the NVR's. I know that should not be the case of course. But the NVR's users manual does not mention the ability either. They could of easily disabled that ability in the firmware. I'm hoping someone with the NVR can confirm one way or another.

In the mean time I'm really interested to hear examples of how others handle the recording side of the equation.

If any of you guys want to MAN UP and flash your Swann/Costco camera with the HIKVision DS-2CD2032-I firmware please send me a PM and I will get it to you. This is the firmware scouted out by brother spadjen.

I can't do it. I cut my finger. And I can't work my mouse correctly. I might slip and click the wrong button.

ftp://ftp.hikvisionusa.com

user name: hikfirmware

Password Hikvision123 (note the H is capitol )

folder:

Hikvision IP Camera Firmware

then look for: DS-2CD2xxx-I

Download the 1st file dated 4/15/13

download, unzip, update.

Here is the HIKVision manual for the HIKVision DS-2CD2032-I camera. Apparently there is a single manual for many HIKVision cameras.

I had the DS-2CD2032-I firmware all loaded up in my Swann/Costco camera and ready to go, but my finger really started hurtin' and I couldn't press the "Upgrade" button. So close. Yet so far.

As requested, here are some screenshots of the Swann/Costco "SWNHD-820CAM" web interface...

As I said before, hats off to HIKVision for this super responsive web interface. I certainly don't have much camera experience, but compared to my Vivoteks and Dahuas this is very speedy, very responsive and a pleasure to run.

Here is the HIKVision manual for the HIKVision DS-2CD2032-I camera. Apparently there is a single manual for many HIKVision cameras.

I had the DS-2CD2032-I firmware all loaded up in my Swann/Costco camera and ready to go, but my finger really started hurtin' and I couldn't press the "Upgrade" button. So close. Yet so far.

thats why you have perfectly good toes. lol

did you update the firmware? in the screen shot that is the same version number as the one the hikvision gave me. If you did not maybe the firmware is almost the same with some slight differences? It would definitely tip the scales of those on the fence if you get 3mp outta this cam.

I really don't want to ruin it and I'm also not too keen on the idea of returning it because I knowingly detroyed it, although I may be able to get over these reservations.

Oh yeah...and I'm a coward

But a problem seems to have come up with the unit I have running at work and the unit I have at home. Blue Iris is suddenly reporting a drastically reduced frame rate for each camera at each location. If I set them at 10FPS, Blue Iris is reported they are streaming at (as low as) 0.49FPS and no higher then ONE HALF of the frame rate I have set the camera (and Blue Iris) for. Example: a 10FPS setting results in 4.75FPS stream. And yet the the stream is perfect when viewing it on my browser through each camera's built-in web interface. Looking into this. Ideas?

No clue. Other then to verified that it is reporting main stream. I had a cam before change the sub stream rate with slow dsl. But i did notice your bit rate was set to variable. doubt that has anything to do with it but worth setting everything at a fixed value till the problem is isolated.

...But a problem seems to have come up with the unit I have running at work and the unit I have at home. Blue Iris is suddenly reporting a drastically reduced frame rate for each camera at each location. If I set them at 10FPS, Blue Iris is reported they are streaming at (as low as) 0.49FPS and no higher then ONE HALF of the frame rate I have set the camera (and Blue Iris) for. Example: a 10FPS setting results in 4.75FPS stream. And yet the the stream is perfect when viewing it on my browser through each camera's built-in web interface. Looking into this. Ideas?

I deleted the Swann camera from BI and then I System > Configuration > "Reset all the parameters, except the IP parameters and user information, to the default settings." and all is well again.

I may have had the Swann camera setup in Blue Iris with a Dahua H.264 RTSP BI camera profile.

And, I must say that, when this Swann camera "went bad" it was rather amazing how good my Dahua 2MP domes started to look.

I take that back. Small clue. I think i hurd of something like that with blue iris. People starting having problems after a version upgrade of Iris. some speculated that it was just an incorrect value being reported in the program rather then the camera slowing. dont know if anyone ever figured it out. be interesting to check frame rate while blue iris was running using a different program or something. not sure if you can do that?

Thanks for the screenshots Q.

As for the firmware, looks good to me. I have been moving up from VGA to IP resolution so 2MP is good.

A good outdoor 2MP at that price is hard to beat, and with a Costco warranty. I can wait for 3MP.....some day soon I imagine.

As requested, here are some screenshots of the Swann/Costco "SWNHD-820CAM" web interface...

As I said before, hats off to HIKVision for this super responsive web interface. I certainly don't have much camera experience, but compared to my Vivoteks and Dahuas this is very speedy, very responsive and a pleasure to run.

The Video/Audio screen shows the drop down selection for Video Quality ghosted out and set to "Lowest".

Why? Is it because Bitrate Type is set to Constant?

The Video/Audio screen shows the drop down selection for Video Quality ghosted out and set to "Lowest". Why? Is it because Bitrate Type is set to Constant?

Yes. When the "Bitrate Type" is set to "Variable" then the "Video Quality" dropdown menu becomes available.

Thanks for the screenshots Q.

As for the firmware, looks good to me. I have been moving up from VGA to IP resolution so 2MP is good. A good outdoor 2MP at that price is hard to beat, and with a Costco warranty. I can wait for 3MP...

But you don't have to wait bro...all you have to do is flash your Swann with the HIKVision firmware and then you will have TWO (2) 3MP cameras for $174.50 each!

I'd do it but I reopened the cut on my finger and it's bleeding again. Excuse me. I gotta go get another bandaid.

Third time this has been posted...but hey! No worries! I'll post it on every friggin' page if someone will grow a set and j u s f r e a k i n d o i t.

folder:

download, unzip, update.

Third time this has been posted...but hey! No worries! I'll post it on every friggin' page if someone will grow a set and j u s f r e a k i n d o i t.

folder:

download, unzip, update.

just do it already and let us know......